Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Picked up a S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman today

In a trade with another member I got a 6" circa 1969-70 (by serial #) Model 28-2 357 Magnum. It has a good bit of honest wear, but no dings, gouges, etc. I got a few different sets of grips with it too. I don't usually post about new toys, but I'm kinda excited about this one. I'm not super knowledgeable in revolvers, but I know enough that the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders are a big plus. It's about the same age as me, and the trigger is phenomenal in double action and single action is the lightest I have felt on any firearm, ever, and that includes other S&W revolvers. I'm not liking someone whiting out the lettering, and I may clean that out of there. Some may see the wear on it and scoff, but I see stories that will remain silently with the gun. If they could only talk as they say...

A couple pics: https://imgur.com/a/ud9cVhs

Can't wait to send some lead downrange this weekend.

TC

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Picked up a S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman today

27s and 28s are something special

(Northumberland County)

The gold standard as far as trigger pull is concerned, and the rest of the gun ain't far behind either. All the S&Ws of that era are a work of art. Had a buddy years ago who wanted to shoot his dad's model 57 in DA, because he wasnt much of a handgunner and didnt know any better. I explained to him what he was missing out on....couple shots in SA, and he'd come around.

Nice! Good luck and enjoy!

(Delaware County)

The legend goes, that the assemblers at the plant knew those revolvers were likely to end up in a policeman*s holster and so they took pride in putting their best work into them.

Probably just that, a legend, but the wear on yours sure looks like it has spent a lot of time in a holster. Really nice revolver. Congratulations.

(Northampton County)

I also have a S&W 28-2. I purchased it about '76 or '77. It's been a fine shooter. I believe mine has the 4" barrel though,

[IMG][/IMG]

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    In a trade with another member I got a 6" circa 1969-70 (by serial #) Model 28-2 357 Magnum. It has a good bit of honest wear, but no dings, gouges, etc. I got a few different sets of grips with it too. I don't usually post about new toys, but I'm kinda excited about this one. I'm not super knowledgeable in revolvers, but I know enough that the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders are a big plus. It's about the same age as me, and the trigger is phenomenal in double action and single action is the lightest I have felt on any firearm, ever, and that includes other S&W revolvers. I'm not liking someone whiting out the lettering, and I may clean that out of there. Some may see the wear on it and scoff, but I see stories that will remain silently with the gun. If they could only talk as they say...

A couple pics: https://imgur.com/a/ud9cVhs

Can't wait to send some lead downrange this weekend.

TC
    Congrats on a superb revolver with a target trigger, target hammer, red ramp front site insert, pinned and recessed.... I'll bet it also came with a set of target stocks as well.

Here's my 6"

Best Regards,

(Jefferson County)

Congrats!

I recently received my dad's 28-2 as a part of a 16 gun inheritance.

These Highway Patrolman's really like 148gr full wadcutters for range shoot'n. My dad bought a case of it back in the day, still had 3 boxes of it left and a few on his cartridge belt. We shot a lot of the cutters over the years through it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Thanks all, and those are some fine examples.

the grips in my pic are the only ones. I*ll have to look up *target grips*.

(Susquehanna County)

Congrats! That is an outstanding find! I had one similar, though of earlier vintage in the late 1960s in Korea of all places. They're an absolutely solid, fine revolver! Get yourself a few speed loaders, learn how to use them correctly and have a ball with it! Learn how to "stage" the trigger also and you'll enjoy shooting double action much more too! I hope you have a long and happy "relationship" with the piece. But if you ever decide to part with it....remember my name and where to find me!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast