Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Anyone notice an attitude change at the sheriff's office ?

Instead of a long drawn out story, I'm just going to ask if anyone has noticed a significant change in the attitude at the Lackawanna courthouse sheriff's office while renewing their CCP ?

The process went smoothly for me, and I got my permit without incident, but there were several baits thrown out at various parts of the process as if I was being provoked into being argumentative or alarmed. I ignored them.

I've been doing this for 25 years. I've been to the sheriff's office 6 times for concealed carry permit, (the last four in Lackawanna County) and I've never experienced this type of attitude before, but it was an entirely different experience this time and definitely not for the better...

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Anyone notice an attitude change at the sheriff's office ?

Quote Originally Posted by BDX2 View Post
    , but there were several baits thrown out at various parts of the process as if I was being provoked into being argumentative or alarmed. I ignored them.
    Care to expand on the bait?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Yep, love to hear it.

(Lackawanna County)

Yeah when I need to renew it’s in Lackawanna now so interested

(Chester County)

The process went smoothly for me, and I got my permit without incident, but there were several baits thrown out at various parts of the process as if I was being provoked into being argumentative or alarmed. I ignored them.
    It was just one deputy you dealt with, right?

Agree with cephas that more context is needed for us to form an opinion. This from a guy who lives in SEPA, the liberal bastion of PA.

My wife and I renewed about 6 mos. ago, in Lackawanna and everything was fine, in fact even friendly.

I just reupped mine in Delco, I did the most part online.
    When they sent me an email my stuff was completed I went in and the nice lady took my picture.
    Better than the miserable old bitch from 5 years ago,
    She acted like she was doing me a favor distributing the dribs and drabs of freedom to the plebeians
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lackawanna County)

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. I was polite and did everything in I timely manner. Yet more than once it was mentioned my application to renew would be shredded if I wasn't interested.

When I walked up to the window to get my pic today, the same person said ten twenty eight sixty five. Nothing more nothing less. As I tried to make sense of this statement he said it seemed like he was getting "a ton of attitude" from me verbatim. I said it was confusion. The number was a birthday (not mine) and he had it on his PC page in front of him. Only one of two records on the page.

Once it was apparent I was remaining calm and unresponsive to silly accusations it ended.

I don't need my experience validated, I experienced it and know what it was.

I wanted to know if anyone else had similar experience, or put it out there for anyone who will be renewing.

I hope your experience goes better than mine. Five years ago I was sent a letter in advance, notifying me my permit would expire. I went to the courthouse, filled out my app and walked out with my permit.

This year it's one trip to pick up app, one to return app, a phone call (drop box says incomplete or inaccurate apps will be shredded no notice. ), then a third trip with an appointment for payment and pic.

A totally different experience. I realize covid has changed procedures, but in my case the entire demeanor changed.

I was directed to pick my app up during normal business hours (same hours I work btw) no online app, no email notification, just a random phone call from an unrecognized number with a message insinuating my app was about to be shredded. Then a third trip for a lovely in person experience.

(Clarion County)

I don't need my experience validated, I experienced it and know what it was.
    I wanted to know if anyone else had similar experience, or put it out there for anyone who will be renewing.
    No one is questioning your experience there. The question is how they were baiting you.
    As you elude to it could be useful foresight for the next applicant or newbie walking in there.
    I come from an area where renewing couldn't be any quicker with a drive through.
    Any game or method in procedure that hampers our rights is of interest to many here.

Edit: 14 posts, see you're new here, welcome.
    Last edited by cephas; April 23rd, 2022 at 05:50 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lackawanna County)

Last time my wife and I went, quick and downright friendly.

My guess is that they are just starting to take in-person apps again, the people that used to do it are reassigned, and the people there now see it as an imposition oh their time.

It isn't just the Sheriff's department, it is everywhere.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast