Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Need Input for Building a .338 WINMAG Round

OK, I have some questions here...I have a Winchester Model 70 in .338 WINMAG, that I want to take to Thunder Valley for long range training. But first I need to create my round for it. I have accumulated everything I need to reload for it and believe I have the process figured out. Now I need some help. For powder, I have W760 ball, 4831 in IMR and H, and IMR 4451, all of which I believe are suitable powders. I have Hornady 200 gr and 225 gr bullets and have both LR and LRM primers. Oh...I only have 1 lb each on the powders. Also, will there be enough in 1 lb to develop and load 100 rounds? And which powder and bullet would be best?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
    Last edited by Walleye Hunter; September 6th, 2022 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Adjust title for ease in searching
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Default Re: Need Input for Building a Round

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    OK, I have some questions here...I have a Winchester Model 70 in .338 WINMAG, that I want to take to Thunder Valley for long range training. But first I need to create my round for it. I have accumulated everything I need to reload for it and believe I have the process figured out. Now I need some help. For powder, I have W760 ball, 4831 in IMR and H, and IMR 4451, all of which I believe are suitable powders. I have Hornady 200 gr and 225 gr bullets and have both LR and LRM primers. Oh...I only have 1 lb each on the powders. Also, will there be enough in 1 lb to develop and load 100 rounds? And which powder and bullet would be best?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
    Do you have a reloading manual ? For many variables like you have, they make the task a lot easier.

I looked at the Sierra App, they don't list (make) 200gr for the 338wm, but they do list the 225gr. The only powder on your list that they have tested is the H4831 at 68-73gr. Of the 7000gr in 1lb bottles, that will get you right about at 100 rounds..

Hodgdon has data for their powders online that you can check also. Since they distribute all the powders you list, that would be a good place to start. All loads I've found use the Large Rifle Magnum primers, which makes sense since it's a magnum caliber..

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

You need to look at what criteria you consider "best" for your application. For long-range, you want a high BC boolit with fast speeds. I have a app on my iphone called "BulletDrop" that you can calculate trajectory given load data and boolit data. There's a "+" version for $0.99 that lets you save your data and well worth it IMHO..

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 8.56.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 8.59.39 AM.jpg
    Last edited by 85MikeTPI; April 19th, 2022 at 09:03 AM.
    SigGendered

(Allegheny County)

In addition to Mike's post, you will want to find which bullet / powder combo gives you the best accuracy.
    I start with loading a ladder ( multiple variations of powder for my bullet of choice).

I load at least 10 to 15 bullets varying the charge by 1/2 grain up to the listed maximum charge.
    So, essentially load a max charge and work backward.
    Some guys do .3 grain increments.

Using a chronograph, I list the velocities always starting at the lowest charge and working up looking at each case for pressure signs.

At a point, you will find a flat spot where the velocities are about equal or close in speed.
    That area is where I focus on my.load, I then load another 8 to 10 around that flat spot in .2 gr increments snd shoot these at 200 which is where I zero my rifles.

I use another blank target to record shot placement of those ladder results.
    You should see a noticeable closer grouping on this step 2.

I then.load groups of 3 with .1 gr increments using step 2 results.

If you find a group of 3 that you are happy with, load a few more groups at that charge to see if its consistent.

Other guys may have a better method but this is how I work.up my loads
    Good luck
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Yup.. Depends if you have time/supplies prior to your training to dial in an optimal load. There is the OCW method, and the 10-shot method like 27hand describes
    and written up here: http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-...t-ladder-test/
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Thanks for that help, I'll digest it and figure it out. I'm thick skulled so it will take me some time. I don't have a class booked so I have all the time I need and they have classes on a regular basis. I have a little spiral reloading manual that is specific to the .338WM and it looks like it covers a lot of the variables. Is one wt bullet better for long range for any specific reason or are they all better for one situation over another? i e wind vs no wind. I'm hearing elsewhere that the 4831 would be the best for this application.

Next two questions...would the H and IMR 4831s produce similar enough results that I can figure to use those two for my mission? It looks like Imma need about 2 lbs. Or do I need to get 2 lbs of the same lot? And I'm gathering that crimping is not done on this type of ammo. No crimp at all or a light crimp? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Thanks for that help, I'll digest it and figure it out. I'm thick skulled so it will take me some time. I don't have a class booked so I have all the time I need and they have classes on a regular basis. I have a little spiral reloading manual that is specific to the .338WM and it looks like it covers a lot of the variables. Is one wt bullet better for long range for any specific reason or are they all better for one situation over another? i e wind vs no wind. I'm hearing elsewhere that the 4831 would be the best for this application.

Next two questions...would the H and IMR 4831s produce similar enough results that I can figure to use those two for my mission? It looks like Imma need about 2 lbs. Or do I need to get 2 lbs of the same lot? And I'm gathering that crimping is not done on this type of ammo. No crimp at all or a light crimp? Or what?
    Heavier boolits will usually have higher ballistic coefficients and be less affected by wind, but also will be slower and need more elevation to reach similar distances. A ballistic calculator like the "BulletDrop" app can show/compare the data.

Hodgdons claims IMR and H brands are different formulations. Sometimes the temperature dependency is different or the fouling is different, but the load specifics are usually close enough to be considerd the same..

Hodgdon H4831 Out of Stock 0.338" 3.300" 70.0 2,703 41,300 CUP 77.5C 2,965 52,400 CUP
    IMR IMR 4831 Out of Stock 0.338" 3.300" 70.0 2,751 43,500 CUP 74.5C 2,934 50,200 CUP

Same lot powder only kinda comes into play at the very top of your game.
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

OK so I'll put the word on the streets that I have a lb of 4831 to trade. Thanks

... and I had to cut my reply short for a meeting, but precision ammo can be crimped, but more focus is usually put on the neck tension using special sizing inserts.. Standard dies form the neck down to beyond minimum, then the decapping rod usually pulls back through and leaves the neck at a minimum. Precision dies only size the neck down to a calculated value that you set to give a predetermined neck tension. The decapping rod usually has no ferrule on it to touch the neck coming back out. I have seen Lee Factory Crimp Dies for my 338 Lapua, but I presume they are for hunting rounds or someone making double-sure ??
    SigGendered

(Wayne County)

Walleye, go to Nosler website and they have info for the powders you mention and data for the 200, 225. How far you plan on shooting that 338?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Walleye, go to Nosler website and they have info for the powders you mention and data for the 200, 225. How far you plan on shooting that 338?
    I took one class to 1000 yds with Barrett and Thunder valley says they'll take it out as far as the gun and the operator can do. So, as far as me and my rifle will do.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast