Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Default Re: Need Input for Building a Round

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Next question:

I was unable to find the Hornady bullets I was using and got some Speer and Barnes to test for accuracy. Hopefully, they will both still be available after testing and I can get a heap of them. Both are 225 grain but their dimensions (lengths) are not the same. I am not finding data specific to these bullets and am seeking the best way to work with them. In lieu of any information, I'll start with the minimum published load that I have and see what I get. Any ideas/input?
    As long as you*re not near max load or max COAL, you can safely substitute same weight bullets without much concern.
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    As long as you*re not near max load or max COAL, you can safely substitute same weight bullets without much concern.
    What is going to happen when the short bullet is seated shallower and the long bullet deeper in the shell? Doesn't that affect pressures?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

I saw the powders you have on hand and there are some decent loads for IMR 4831. I do not have a load for that powder but I thought I would offer up the load I have been shooting for many years. Accurate 2700 62 grs with a Speer 250 Gr SB. This load shot from my Browning A-bolt will shoot tight under 2 inch groups consistently at 200 yards. I also pasted a link to the burn rate chart which shows A 2700 as a little slower burn rate than IMR 4831. The burn rate chart will show you some of the other powders that fall into the load data category you are looking for too (Accurate 2700 is #120 & IMR 4831 is #132).

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...rate-chart.pdf

(Berks County)

Today I was processing some brass. I'm looking to get 100 rounds suitable to take for a long range class. The majority of the brass I've accumulated is Winchester but it has three different head stamps so far. There's Super, Super X and Super Speed. I weighed a few of each and each headstamped group seems to have different weights by a few hundredths of a grain. Will these each perform differently? If so, would it be enough to make a difference? I get the feeling that different manufacturers' brass will yield different results but I'm not sure on that.

(Berks County)

OK, now this is getting stickier and I'm not sure what to do. I took that data from the Hodgdon site and used it on my Hornady bullets, which I can't find any more of them so I got some Speers and Barnes bullets, which are available, to see which performs better. Obviously, the bullets are different lengths so a given OAL, will push the base of the bullet deeper or shallower into the shell, which I believe alters pressures. A search of their sites renders no data for the IMR4831 that I am using. Any suggestions on how to handle it?

(Clarion County)

Pressure will be affected anytime any component is changed from original load.
    This includes a different lot of the same powder.
    If pushing max loads I'd be using the same brand of brass, preferably new, or knowing the number of firings tracking case measurements.
    When I started reloading most of the manuals listed a generic bullet, say like a 162 gr. SPBT. They then gave a load that we considered max and at the time we dropped that 10% and worked up. Then it went to start and max loads and today loads with a specific components.
    If changing anything it was prudent to start the load over and work back up.
    So I'd use the start load you have and go from there.
    As a side note it seems to me data for IMR powders, at least the one I use IMR4350, gets slimmer by the years. Seems more promotion for the "H" powders.
    Another resort would be to contact the manufactures. Over the years have had insightful communications with their techs.
    Last edited by cephas; December 12th, 2022 at 10:05 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Pressure will be affected anytime any component is changed from original load.
    This includes a different lot of the same powder.
    When I started reloading most of the manuals listed a generic bullet, say like a 162 gr. SPBT, then a list of start and max powder charges.
    If changing anything it was prudent to start the load over and work back up.
    I am doing that but what kind of differences can I expect with a longer bullet that's pushed deeper into the casing? Is it going to jack pressures up to dangerous levels?

(Clarion County)

Was adding a bit to my post as you responded.
    Gotta make a disclaimer since I don't know condition of your rifle, ability to read pressure signs, or reloading expertise.
    Pressure will increase with a longer bullet in the same load as shorter one of the same weights.
    I'd not expect, and have never seen, anything "dangerous" at starting loads for different brand bullets with the same weight and design.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Was adding a bit to my post as you responded.
    Gotta make a disclaimer since I don't know condition of your rifle, ability to read pressure signs, or reloading expertise.
    Pressure will increase with a longer bullet in the same load as shorter one of the same weights.
    I'd not expect, and have never seen, anything "dangerous" at starting loads for different brand bullets with the same weight and design.
    Thanks. The rifle is about a 1966 Winchester Model 70 in excellent condition, it still had the strings from a tag on it when I got it and I haven't shot it much yet. My level of expertise is somewhere close to novice but I am being very attentive to my procedures at this point. One thing that bugs me is that neither Speer nor Barnes publish loads that include the IMR4831 that I am using and I've accumulated enough of it that I am not interested in changing to something that they do publish data on. When I cross reference what data I can dig up, it looks like the 69+ grains of 4831 that I'm using is too much. I'll probably shoot one of those though, and see how it chronos.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678