Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Need Input for Building a Round

Walleye, another way of bumping the shoulder is by smoking it with a birthday candle. A little soot on the should and you crank your die down until it leaves a ring on the should. YouTube should have videos of how to do it.

(Berks County)

Next up...I'm working with some Hornady 225gn heads. I'm finding wts vary from 224.03 to 224.08. Is this acceptable? Lengths of heads is close but I didn't write it down so I forget how close. Maybe next time. Round OAL is varying on me a little and I'm trying to figure out why. Could it be due to different rates of travel when I press the bullet on? IIRC, max OAL is 3.320 and for the most part, I'm at 3.318+-.001 but two of them are more like 3.309. On one of those, I know I drew down faster on the seating ram.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Walleye, another way of bumping the shoulder is by smoking it with a birthday candle. A little soot on the should and you crank your die down until it leaves a ring on the should. YouTube should have videos of how to do it.
    This method works but I use a black dry erase marker. I always have one on my reloading bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Next up...I'm working with some Hornady 225gn heads. I'm finding wts vary from 224.03 to 224.08. Is this acceptable? Lengths of heads is close but I didn't write it down so I forget how close. Maybe next time. Round OAL is varying on me a little and I'm trying to figure out why. Could it be due to different rates of travel when I press the bullet on? IIRC, max OAL is 3.320 and for the most part, I'm at 3.318+-.001 but two of them are more like 3.309. On one of those, I know I drew down faster on the seating ram.
    Do you trim your brass to all the same length?

Do you also chamfer your necks? There really shouldn't be much effort on the seating ram such that you'd be creating velocity.. Also you can get sizing dies that have bushing for neck diameter, so you can set your neck sizing for a more consistent tension on the bullet that helps accuracy.
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Do you trim your brass to all the same length?
    Yep but if they were off, would that affect the OAL?
    Do you also chamfer your necks?
    Yep
    There really shouldn't be much effort on the seating ram such that you'd be creating velocity..
    Not a high velocity but higher than the previous ones. I wanted to see if pulling faster would shove the bullet in deeper and I don't know if it was just coincidence but it seemed to. I also wonder if leaving the ram up a little longer would allow the bullet to creep deeper into the case.
    Also you can get sizing dies that have bushing for neck diameter, so you can set your neck sizing for a more consistent tension on the bullet that helps accuracy.
    This set of dies are Redding, how would I know if they do this or not?
    I also got a set of micro-adjustables at the last show. I haven't read the directions yet but would using them help?

Yep but if they were off, would that affect the OAL?

Yep

Not a high velocity but higher than the previous ones. I wanted to see if pulling faster would shove the bullet in deeper and I don't know if it was just coincidence but it seemed to. I also wonder if leaving the ram up a little longer would allow the bullet to creep deeper into the case.

This set of dies are Redding, how would I know if they do this or not?
    I also got a set of micro-adjustables at the last show. I haven't read the directions yet but would using them help?
    The manual would be the ultimate info, otherwise if you can take out the decapping pin and expander and see if there's a bushing in the top of the die that falls out when inverted.

My thoughts are going to trying to get your neck tension at a minimum to keep from having to slam the seating ram down, but maybe that not the case and you were just doing it as a "what-if" ? The bushing allow you to custom tailor your neck thickness with your bullet diameter and a desired next tension to keep it consistent. Consistent tension should mean a consistent seating pressure/effort and a consistent COAL...
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    The manual would be the ultimate info, otherwise if you can take out the decapping pin and expander and see if there's a bushing in the top of the die that falls out when inverted.

My thoughts are going to trying to get your neck tension at a minimum to keep from having to slam the seating ram down, but maybe that not the case and you were just doing it as a "what-if" ? The bushing allow you to custom tailor your neck thickness with your bullet diameter and a desired next tension to keep it consistent. Consistent tension should mean a consistent seating pressure/effort and a consistent COAL...
    OK. Seating is effortless but I am using an ammomaster to do it so that's no surprise. I just went a little faster a couple of times to see if it made a difference. I'll look into that bushing aspect as I increase my knowledge of the process. My skull is thick so it takes a while to get everything in there.

(Berks County)

I've been studying and thinking and have another question. I've heard of 'bumping the shoulder' every three reloads or so. I scored a set of precision mics for this at a gun show and I've figured out how to use it. I think I've also figured out that all that it does could be ciphered out by a knowledgeable guy with his own rifle and spent rounds. Anyhow, I'm beginning to understand what bumping the shoulder means and that brings me to my next question...The reloading dies that I have are full length resizing. It is possible to use these for neck sizing only or do I need another die for that?

(Allegheny County)

I've been studying and thinking and have another question. I've heard of 'bumping the shoulder' every three reloads or so. I scored a set of precision mics for this at a gun show and I've figured out how to use it. I think I've also figured out that all that it does could be ciphered out by a knowledgeable guy with his own rifle and spent rounds. Anyhow, I'm beginning to understand what bumping the shoulder means and that brings me to my next question...The reloading dies that I have are full length resizing. It is possible to use these for neck sizing only or do I need another die for that?
    Enjoy the rabbithole. Ive been there. My conclusion was there wasn't any noticeable difference in accuracy. Brass may last a bit longer. Full length is necessary for gas guns.

(Berks County)

Rather than clutter up the other thread and keeping this one in a manner that others may make use of it in the future, I'll post up here on my .338 WINMAG adventure.

I picked up a bag of processed brass at a gun show somewhere down the line and I'm working on it now. Out of 50 pieces, about 38 are Hornady, 10 are Norma and 1 WIN and 1 Barnes. The brass seemed to have been cleaned, decapped and sized. I had to trim some but not many and I chamfered them all. I only apply light pressure to the chamfering tool and make about 2 spins in it. Is that sufficient? Should I do anything more to the brass, since it all checks out OK in dims and defects? I can't think of a reason but I'm new to this game.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast