Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AK Flat Bending

(Bucks County)

Default AK Flat Bending

I'm going to try my hand at bending an AK flat with the "Poor Man's Jig" that I came across on AR15.com. It looks like they use a vice and hammer for this method, but I want to see how my press will work with it. Just curious if it will handle the force from the press. Has anyone used this setup to bend flats with a press? I suppose if it's supported correctly it may work out.

I'm all set up to do the rest of the receiver and rifle assembly, but the lower cost of the flats has me wanting to try making one or two more "projects". I've ordered a flat to do some measurements for making the jig. Hopefully it will be here this week so I can start setting it up next weekend.

Default Re: AK Flat Bending

I build my first aks using a home built jig in a press.it is a pain in the ass, when kits were $100 it was ok then you end up rebuilding them later with something better. If you are set on using a flat buy/borrow/ steal an akbuilder bending jig. But my honest opinion is to pay the money and either buy a finished receiver from Childers or recreator, if you don't want to deal with the ffl buy a heat treated blank. You will end up with a better gun that will be worth the time and money you put into it. (Flat built guns aren't worth as much as an unassembled parts kit)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AK Flat Bending

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I build my first aks using a home built jig in a press.it is a pain in the ass, when kits were $100 it was ok then you end up rebuilding them later with something better. If you are set on using a flat buy/borrow/ steal an akbuilder bending jig. But my honest opinion is to pay the money and either buy a finished receiver from Childers or recreator, if you don't want to deal with the ffl buy a heat treated blank. You will end up with a better gun that will be worth the time and money you put into it. (Flat built guns aren't worth as much as an unassembled parts kit)
    I see where you're coming from. No, the kits aren't cheap, I've built two so far using 80% receivers. The second of which, already had the rails installed and it was heat treated, pretty nice receiver. I did see a jig for sale on Armslist, but the seller is out of state and stated no shipping. I'll text him to see if they'll ship it, who knows I may get lucky.