Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Selling a firearm for family member, Local PA FTF

Like the title says.

My brother has moved to Michigan and is looking to sell some of his firearms, mainly handguns.

So....
    -He has no plans on coming back and when he does, it*s hard to sell anything. and he has no plan to bring them to Michigan.
    -Am i able to sell a handgun for him at a FFL Dealer here in PA, local face to face sale.
    Last edited by Lshaw; May 21st, 2023 at 09:48 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Selling Firearms for Sibling, Local PA FTF and Shipping Legality

It is legal for you to possess and shoot those, provided that you are not a prohibited person. He can give all of them to you with no paperwork, see previous statement. You cannot sell his guns for him.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Cumberland County)

Correct me if I*m wrong, once they are given to you they are yours. Go ahead and sell them as such. Who knows or cares if your brother receives some type of compensation.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Correct me if I*m wrong, once they are given to you they are yours. Go ahead and sell them as such. Who knows or cares if your brother receives some type of compensation.
    IANAL but IMO that is encroaching on thin ice. On the surface, you are correct but knowing that you are taking that route then taking it would not be in compliance with the laws. I know, it's a PITA. If your father gives you all of his guns and dies the next day, all is good but if he dies before giving them to you, it's a whole, 'nother ball of wax', as my history teacher used to say.

(Erie County)

Some one here can correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that the gifting of Handguns can only be between parent and child, grandparent and grand child ,between spouses and vice versa but not between siblings.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(York County)

You can find a local buyer for the guns and arrange the whole thing. (Price, FFL to meet at, etc)

But your brother needs to be there for the transfer. Doew he come back to PA to visit? You can have a sale set up so that all he has to do it stop by an FFL while he is in town to sign the forms.

You might have to discount the guns a little to find a buyer flexible enough to wait 2 months until your brother is in town.

While you might get away with saying "These are mine" at the time of sale....you are lying on government forms as the funs don't really meet the definition of "yours" since you took possession of them for the purpose of selling them. If the State Police or the ATF got a hair uo their ass to investigate you.... you'd be in a bad place. The odds of that seem low....but why risk it?

(Cumberland County)

Also Ianal, and walleye hunter I do agree. My suggestion certainly doesn*t follow the spirit of the law. We all have different levels of comfort when it comes to risk taking. I can*t blame the original poster for wanting to do things correctly. Frankly, there are many that wouldn*t give this scenario a second thought.

(Centre County)

First off, your brother cannot give you the handguns, they would have to be transferred as per PA law. However, for you to sell them for him, he could give you a limited power of attorney to sell them. He would have to get the LPOA and send it to you so you hve it when you sell the guns be it online or at a PA FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Some one here can correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that the gifting of Handguns can only be between parent and child, grandparent and grand child ,between spouses and vice versa but not between siblings.
    Hopefully OP has a LTCF, and the handguns have been 'loaned' to him by his brother when he was a PA resident. If no LCTF, has not an illegal transfer already occurred?

No idea what happens when the lender is no longer a PA resident.

Paging Gunlawyer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    First off, your brother cannot give you the handguns, they would have to be transferred as per PA law. However, for you to sell them for him, he could give you a limited power of attorney to sell them. He would have to get the LPOA and send it to you so you hve it when you sell the guns be it online or at a PA FFL.
    Gifts between siblings are not permitted?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast