Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today - PART 2

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Does it brrrrrrp? I don't know if I'd clean it up too much. Sometimes that can actually diminish the value.
    Just a semi auto, the AR-180 is the semi auto version of the select fire AR-18.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    Some guys have all the luck

Congrats, that's pretty damn cool.

I'm not big on the BFPU look, at least with AKs, but the way you have it right now looks pretty cool to me.
    Ya, I'm not in a rush to restore it. It doesn't look horrible when it's oiled and the rust isn't actively eating it.

I do have good luck, but I also network like crazy, which is how I acquire a lot of stuff. I'm constantly sharing what I'm interested in and a lot of things find me because of that.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Cumberland County)

Why doesn't anyone ever call me with old house/barn/attic finds - lol! Congrats!

In the not nearly as cool purchases - I've been wanting to add a big green egg like grill to my outdoor area.
    My wife called me nuts because I refused to pay the extra few hundred for a big green egg brand. She laughed
    saying I'll buy a gun a week practically but won't spend a few hundred more on the grill. It's the principal! I researched,
    and found this "London Sunshine" that looked to be equal quality. Arrived yesterday, weighs a ton - felt sorry for the FedEx driver.
    Several hundred less than a BGE. I didn't want the large one seeing I have my big Weber and I'll only cook charcoal a few times a year so got one between
    counter top and full size.
    If anyone else is looking - first impression is good! Threw in last two buys/builds to keep it gun related

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Originally, guns in this early serial number range had a dull gray phosphate finish (at least from my initial research), and I think my zinc parkerizing I do at home might match it, if not I can send it for a Cerakote job that looks good.
    Try Rustoleum high temp paint. Works great over Parkerizing and gives a dull deep black finish.

(Washington County)

Actually one of my favorite paints for finishing guns is this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Ru...hoCNXUQAvD_BwE

Similar to what you described, a flat black that looks good. I've found it to be durable and easy.

With this AR-180 having some more value than most of my gun projects, I will probably go the cerakote route to try and make it as nice as possible. Depends how bad the rust pitting looks after I sand blast it.

(Philadelphia County)

Recently got this off of GB since a coworker and I just randomly started talking about the fact neither of us have an 1895 Nagant in the collection. Well this changes that for me. It went through the great post-WW2 refurb, but whoever worked on it made sure to polish off the old numbers and that the new numbers all match. He was even nice enough to make sure all of the parts are Tula parts. Came with the 1962 dated holster and cleaning rod.

(Washington County)

Alright, if the theory is that I’m lucky, then I have more evidence to support that. The same guy I got the AR-180 from contacted me today with another deal. A 1971 Colt SP1. It appears to be rare as it has no selector or manufacturer markings from the factory. It cleaned up ok. Ready to test fire tomorrow. Ok, I’ll admit it, I’m lucky. Also, based on the evidence, the magazine is original to this rifle.

As found:

Cleaned up, and of course I always have a spare USGI sling around:

There are a couple spots on the receiver with corrosion damage. I don’t know if I can touch those up. I would hate to lose the rest of the original finish. All the steel parts can be refinished sometime later.

Reunited…

(Berks County)

Congratulations. There is going to be one hell of an auction when you go. People will come from around the world.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

I just hope guns like these can still be bought and sold when that day comes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I just hope guns like these can still be bought and sold when that day comes.
    Not in this state unless something drastic changes.
    Today was a good day!

Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast