Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today - PART 2

In honor of the new brace ban I bought another dozer.

1963 D6B with Army Corps of Engineers tags, hour meter on the motor shows 1,463 hours. Runs and operates as it should, just needs some normal maintenance and a couple little things.

Makes a nice pair with my 955L.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Wyoming County)

^THAT'S FREAKIN AWESOME!!! They look great in the driveway
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Northumberland County)

Where do you find this stuff?!? You really do have the coolest shit. I've thought about getting a small dozer but cant justify it with only 4 acres.

(Allegheny County)

How many dozers does one man need lol

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Where do you find this stuff?!? You really do have the coolest shit. I've thought about getting a small dozer but cant justify it with only 4 acres.
    It depends what you want to do on those 4 acres. A compact 4wd tractor with a loader and backhoe will do a lot of things, it just takes longer. Note that I said compact, and not sub compact. I wouldnt see you needing a small dozer unless you have a lot of grading work to do. If you're going to own one heavy machine I would own a crawler loader before a dozer, as a crawler loader can do what a dozer does plus load a truck and pile material, it will just be slower and harder to grade with a crawler loader. If you want to remove trees a crawler loader is way faster.

You also need to be really handy with a wrench if you buy old heavy equipment. I can write a short book detailing all the headaches my 955L has thrown at me.

Anyways, either stuff finds me or I hunt down the deals. Networking, being nice to people, and putting in the effort is what I do.

This dozer found me. A friend saw me bringing home my other dozer (Cat 1937 R5) on a facebook post and said "I know where there is another dozer you can get for cheap." A few weeks later and here it is. I should make a nice chunk off of this one when I go to sell it, but I have a hard time letting machines like this go when they come to me cheap and are handy to have around.

I thought I would have sold the 955L by now, but I keep finding uses for it around the property and as I keep fixing it, I fall a little more in love with it.

I keep looking for a deal on a 6x6 military dump truck. Other than that, I don't plan on adding anything else to the collection. A larger excavator would be nice but even the clapped out ones are too spendy. I wouldn't mind getting a 4WD man lift to replace my bucket truck, as the bucket truck isn't ideal for working inside my barn and tree trimming, the two main reasons I have it. But again, man lifts that can go off road are never cheap unless they are ready for the scrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    You need a work dozer and a pleasure dozer, duh.

The R5 is a kind of rare antique, I would love to do a full restoration on it and just use it for puttering around, take it to shows like the National Pike show by Brownsville, etc.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northumberland County)

You have good friends! I dig the old iron myself but haven't been able to find a good reason to own it. My property has too much vertical acreage for any of the old tricycle type tractors, and like you said, I don't have quite enough to justify a bulldozer (nor the type of work for it). And there's enough neighbors and friends around here with their own equipment that I could easily hire out for a weekend job, if I needed anything big done.

Long term, a 4x4 compact or subcompact will probably happen. About half of what I've got is wooded and the other half is grass on steep hills though, so I need to find something that tackles that mixture well. I had a shot at a Kubota BX2200 for $4k in decent shape a few years ago, but couldn't swing it at the time...kick myself for that one.

(Dauphin County)

Just one.

Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Depends on how many bodies need to be buried...

Marv would be proud.
    FJB

(Chester County)

Josh laughs at heavy snow in the driveway!

Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast