Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Riddle me this one

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The bottom is still solid, and the skirt and crimping groove are still intact. I didn't notice anything weird about it when I loaded it, but how closely do you look at bulk-pack .22's while loading?
    Measure the bullets diameter at the base. A .22 LR is just about the only cartridge where the bullet is the same size as the the OD of the case and the chamber. If the diameter is standard size it would be impossible for it to be in the case before firing. How long is your cylinder? I don't see how this piece of lead could be longer than a regular round with a case behind it and not have locked up your pistol. The thin tip had to have been in the forcing cone even if the bullet never "moved" and was only extruded.

Another idea is that it was a defective bullet with a big void in the center. There was not enough lead to hold the pressure and it went thru the bullet extruding it. This would explain the light weight but I still can't see how the bullet didn't move out of the case while being extruded that much. I don't believe this is the answer but I am just throwing it out there.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Measure the bullets diameter at the base. A .22 LR is just about the only cartridge where the bullet is the same size as the the OD of the case and the chamber. If the diameter is standard size it would be impossible for it to be in the case before firing. How long is your cylinder? I don't see how this piece of lead could be longer than a regular round with a case behind it and not have locked up your pistol. The thin tip had to have been in the forcing cone even if the bullet never "moved" and was only extruded.

Another idea is that it was a defective bullet with a big void in the center. There was not enough lead to hold the pressure and it went thru the bullet extruding it. This would explain the light weight but I still can't see how the bullet didn't move out of the case while being extruded that much. I don't believe this is the answer but I am just throwing it out there.
    Measures .220 below the crimping groove, which seems about right since its a heel bullet, can't really measure above the crimping groove since that's where it starts tapering. Lining it up with a case there would be just enough space in the cylinder for it to clear the forcing cone, and when I cocked the hammer afterwards there wasn't any extra resistance to indicate this was partially stuck in the barrel. Bullet with a void also seems plausible, but the bottom of the bullet is still solid, though with a slight indentation on one side.

(Delaware County)

Cool monopoly token!
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123