Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Enfield verification, please.

Looking to verify my research. I've owned this particular rifle (and a few others) since 1989...all purchased drowned in cosmoline and wrapped in paper. Not many Enfield "experts" that I know of in the area...just a gunsmith and a few gun enthusiest...all of whom enjoy me bringing it out.

Enfield SMLE MkIII* 303 British

Please forgive my poor photography skills. Can be seen in person within reasonable distance of 18445.

Marked on stamp, B.S.A. 1918 Sht LE

All the following are from research and info from above mentioned sources. I'm considering letting it go to be replaced with an AR in 5.56...no, I do not nor have I owned an AR.

Has appropriate bayonette (17" blade) with scabbard and (1) 10 round detachable box magazine. Brass butt plate and butt marking disk.

Gunsmith friend said "for a wartime Enfield, rifling is pretty good, and likely over all condition between 80 and 90+%". Based on that, our gun value guide has it marked as anywhere from $1300 to $1500+. Was also told by a local knife guru that the bayonette is in astounding condition and to keep that in mind. Receiver was tapped at some point, not sure if original military or not. Has flush tap screws presently and brass pins in stock ahead of receiver. Personally, it is a good shooter. Appears to be all original.

Lots of info out there, and lots of confusion as there were many variants.

Thanks in advance...any info is gladly accepted...I would like to put it up for sale, but don't want to give bad info and burn someone, nor do I want to leave too much money on the table.

DSCN0609.JPG

DSCN0610.JPG

DSCN0612.JPG

DSCN0622.JPG
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Enfield verification, please.

Receiver was tapped at some point, not sure if original military or not. Has flush tap screws presently
    Would be helpful to see a picture of these...

Generally this is not a good thing on a collector rifle, but does not hurt a shooter.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Wayne County)

DSCN0630.JPG

DSCN0631.JPG

Definitely appear newer than the rest of the metal...but been there since before I acquired it. Heck, theres still cosmoline in places...lol.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(York County)

this was produced at BSA at the end of WWI and may likely have never seen service in WWI. by the time WWII rolled around, these were out dated and relegated to rear guard use and in emergency situations (#4 rules unavailable) were issued to front line troops. judging from your pictures, it doesn't appear that this one went to India as it lacks the Ishapore screw and it doesn't appear to have any interesting marks on the barrel Knox either. There should be numbers that match the receiver on the stock fore end, bayonet lug, magazine, and bolt handle. if any of those do not match, then it loses value. it appears to be in OK condition for its age, but the drilled and tapped receiver kills collector value. the sling on the rifle is not original. the bayonet is a pattern 1907 non hookie, made at Wilkinson sword company and is a very common maker. as far as a "blue book value" on these rifles, the blue book should never be followed. its not even close when it comes to military surplus firearms as so many different factors are involved when evaluating these things. I recommend much better photos to show all markings clearly before pricing this out.

(York County)

I second the opinion. The drill and tap for scope pretty much kills it for the high end collector where you'd get big money. Still considering the marketplace right now you could still see pretty decent dollars for a gun you'd likely have bought for around $75-100 back in the late 1980s.

As a 1918 vintage gun, it likely went through multiple rebuilds over its issue life before being sold out of service. Those rebuilds upgraded parts as needed and depending on who did them and how much was needed may have been minor or major upgrades. Looks like yours kept some of the early features like the cocking piece. Having a decend bayonet from the right era also is a plus, though I don't know what these are going for in today's market.