Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Need Refresher - Flying with gun from Phl to Key West.

I haven't flown with my pistol for several years but am soon flying from Phila on American to Key West/Key Largo for some diving. Any recent changes I need to be aware of? Last time, pistol was unloaded in my metal box which was secured to my luggage frame, ammo in factory box in luggage, and declared at the gate. Any other recent tricks I need to know?

Also, any particular advice for carrying in the Keys? I think I read no carry in bars or the part of a restaurant dedicated to liquor. Anything else? Thanks!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Need Refresher - Flying with gun from Phl to Key West.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I haven't flown with my pistol for several years but am soon flying from Phila on American to Key West/Key Largo for some diving. Any recent changes I need to be aware of? Last time, pistol was unloaded in my metal box which was secured to my luggage frame, ammo in factory box in luggage, and declared at the gate. Any other recent tricks I need to know?

Also, any particular advice for carrying in the Keys? I think I read no carry in bars or the part of a restaurant dedicated to liquor. Anything else? Thanks!
    As far as checking in at the airport, everything you did is the same now with the exception being you declare everything at the check-in counter BEFORE you go through security. They will tag your luggage and have you go through additional screening, have you sign off on a card saying everything is good and off you go.
    -Brandon

(Jefferson County)

Make sure you're out of the airport building in FL before you loadup & carry.

No carrying in bars or sections of restaurants dedicated to the serving & consuming of alcohol.

While "No Gun" signs dont have direct legal power, trespass laws do in FL and "Armed Trespass" is a felony. The signs have been used as conditions of entry as a part of "having license" to be there, and folks have been convicted for being in violation of Armed Trespass for violating those "No Gun" signs. $5K fine and/or 5yrs prison.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Make sure you're out of the airport building in FL before you loadup & carry.

No carrying in bars or sections of restaurants dedicated to the serving & consuming of alcohol.

While "No Gun" signs dont have direct legal power, trespass laws do in FL and "Armed Trespass" is a felony. The signs have been used as conditions of entry as a part of "having license" to be there, and folks have been convicted for being in violation of Armed Trespass for violating those "No Gun" signs. $5K fine and/or 5yrs prison.
    You mean out of the passenger terminal, right? Non sterile baggage claim should be fine based on this:

...carry is prohibited...
    Inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be
    prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for
    purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

(Montgomery County)

Also magazines whether loaded or not need to be in the locked case per TSA regs.

(Chester County)

Does the ammo have to be in factory packaging, or can all ammo be loaded in mags, not inserted in firearm obviously? Can the loaded mags be locked in the SAME lock box as the firearm, or must they be separately packed? Can the mags be loose in my main checked suitcase or must they be locked in another container?

(Schuylkill County)

No open carry in FL Concealed only unless fishing or hunting.
    No carry in bars or that part of a restaurant partitioned as a bar.
    The rest is pretty much the same as PA

I am not a lawyer.

Leave your firearms in Pennsylvania ,Take only your dive equipment ! Have a Non stressful Vacation !

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Does the ammo have to be in factory packaging, or can all ammo be loaded in mags, not inserted in firearm obviously? Can the loaded mags be locked in the SAME lock box as the firearm, or must they be separately packed? Can the mags be loose in my main checked suitcase or must they be locked in another container?
    Ammo has to be factory packaging or specific ammo boxes like MTM. Loose rounds in a baggie is what they don't want.

Loaded mags are ok per TSA. Specific airlines do prohibit loaded mags, but to be honest they're unlikely to check so I defer to TSA regs. I've never had an issue, but they may make you tape the top round to secure it or put it in a neo mag or similar. Definitely no loose mags in the suitcase, needs to be in a / the locked case.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Leave your firearms in Pennsylvania ,Take only your dive equipment ! Have a Non stressful Vacation !
    More stressful to be unarmed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast