Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need Refresher - Flying with gun from Phl to Key West.

Use non tsa locks

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    You mean out of the passenger terminal, right? Non sterile baggage claim should be fine based on this:

...carry is prohibited...
    FL has it's own stricter law. https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/...ut-you-in-jail

You can have the gun in luggage for the purposes of checking in for flight, but you cannot "carry".

You have to be outside the building.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 5th, 2022 at 01:41 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FL has it's own stricter law. https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/...ut-you-in-jail

You can have the gun in luggage for the purposes of checking in for flight, but you cannot "carry".

You have to be outside the building.
    Thanks for the heads up. The Handgunlaw.us page isn't incredibly specific. Guess Palm Beach County Sheriffs don't have X-ray vision.

(Chester County)

So here's the update to the trip now completed. There were no real issues when checking in at Phila on American. Although we were told to "wait over there" until (I guess) TSA approved everything. That took about 20 minutes or so, before a door opened and a TSA guy gave me the thumbs up. All in all no big deal. When I arrived at Key West, I was paged in the baggage pick up area and had to go to a window, show my id, and then was given the suitcase containing the firearm. All of our other suitcases came out in the normal baggage claim area.

In Key West and Key Largo, things were pretty calm and I would not have felt terribly insecure without my pistol. Although we were not out late generally and obviously not in bars since carry in bars is no bueno there.

Coming back, checking in at Key West was faster and easier than Philly. The gate agent took a quick look to see I put the form in the locked box and sent us on our way. Didn't need to wait for any kind of TSA approvals or checks. When we arrived in PHL, our suitcases came out on the moving treadway as usual. I did notice that someone presumably in Kew West attached a prominent red tag to the suitcase with the firearm which said "return to BSO" or something like that. It almost certainly id'd the suitcase as having a gun in it, since none of our other 3 suitcases had that tag. I thought that was not supposed to happen?

On an unrelated note, both my wife and I successfully finished our PADI scuba open water certifications while there, diving in Key Largo at Jules Undersea Lagoon, Grecian Banana Reef and Horseshoe Reef! Mission accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Coming back, checking in at Key West was faster and easier than Philly. The gate agent took a quick look to see I put the form in the locked box and sent us on our way. Didn't need to wait for any kind of TSA approvals or checks. When we arrived in PHL, our suitcases came out on the moving treadway as usual. I did notice that someone presumably in Kew West attached a prominent red tag to the suitcase with the firearm which said "return to BSO" or something like that. It almost certainly id'd the suitcase as having a gun in it, since none of our other 3 suitcases had that tag. I thought that was not supposed to happen?
    Usually when you put a locked gun box in a normal suitcase, they make you put the signed orange form on top of the locked box inside the bag, not inside the locked box with the gun. Every airline/airport baggage attendant seems to have a different understanding of the rules though. I usually put TSA locks on the outside of the suitcase and real locks on the box inside.

They aren't supposed to tape a label which says "Free gun inside! Come and get it!" to the bag, but it is common practice to see the bags tagged like yours for the special baggage handling office. There may be other reasons for a bag to be tagged this way (i.e. fragile or valuable items that require special handling), so it isn't 100% this bag has a gun inside. Probably a main reason for it though.

I generally prefer having my bag tagged that way since it usually means more accountability from the airline to not lose it or dump it on the belt for someone else to grab before I can get to it.

Also helps if you inadvertently get re-routed or have a missed connection at an airport in a state where you can't legally take possession of the bag. Otherwise they dump it on the belt for you to (inadvertently) illegally claim. (Side note: if this ever happens, DO NOT claim the bag yourself. Go to the gate agent and make them call to hold your bag until you board your next flight! If you claim the bag, you could be prosecuted when attempting to check back in.)

The only annoying thing about the baggage office tag is that not all airports/airlines treat it the same way, so now I have TWO locations I have to check for my bag(s).
    I am not a lawyer.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    So here's the update to the trip now completed. There were no real issues when checking in at Phila on American. Although we were told to "wait over there" until (I guess) TSA approved everything. That took about 20 minutes or so, before a door opened and a TSA guy gave me the thumbs up. All in all no big deal. When I arrived at Key West, I was paged in the baggage pick up area and had to go to a window, show my id, and then was given the suitcase containing the firearm. All of our other suitcases came out in the normal baggage claim area.

In Key West and Key Largo, things were pretty calm and I would not have felt terribly insecure without my pistol. Although we were not out late generally and obviously not in bars since carry in bars is no bueno there.

On an unrelated note, both my wife and I successfully finished our PADI scuba open water certifications while there, diving in Key Largo at Jules Undersea Lagoon, Grecian Banana Reef and Horseshoe Reef! Mission accomplished!
    BSO is Baggage Services Office, so yes, the bag was supposed to be diverted to the BSO, and yes, the bag was obviously "marked" as carrying something special, which should not happen.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    BSO is Baggage Services Office, so yes, the bag was supposed to be diverted to the BSO, and yes, the bag was obviously "marked" as carrying something special, which should not happen.
    Philly just does not listen to the BSO tags. All my recent trips it came out on the main baggage carousel.

My advice, get off the plane, take a quick piss if you have to, and quickly make it down to baggage claim so you're there for when the bags first start coming out.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Philly just does not listen to the BSO tags. All my recent trips it came out on the main baggage carousel.

My advice, get off the plane, take a quick piss if you have to, and quickly make it down to baggage claim so you're there for when the bags first start coming out.
    I did and I did! LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12