Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Can .44 magnum cases be used in a .44-40?

Hey Guys,

Newbie reloader here….. I have been getting in to .44-40….. I found a Henry two years age, Picked up two Uberti smoke-wagons….in .44-40 last year (one with a .44 special cylinder) and last week Tanners, had a unfired Cimarron “Rooster Shooter” which is a John Wayne reproduction….. at a good price, that just HAD to Come home with me!

I have a Dillon 550, and have reloaded .45, .40, .38-40…. And still have all my fingers! It has been a few years…. And I want to reload .44-40…. But cases are all sold out everywhere…. I know the cases are thin, and can be problematic….. but I’m willing to take my time… when I can get them…

My dumb question is, can I use .44 magnum cases to load .44-40’s I now the cases are thinker…. But I have not found anyone that has said Yea or Nay…. I do have .427 boo-lets and .430…. And while I haven’t taken the calipers to the cases…. By eyeball, it looks at least feasible…..
    I do have .44 mag and .44-40 dies…. And have read about using the magnum expander….. and a Lee factory crimp die…. If new brass ever becomes available again….. does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can .44 magnum cases be used in a .44-40?

No. The .44-40 is a bottleneck(slight) case. Some companies do a taper-to-straight case.

You can see the bottleneck in the image below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clearfield County)

No, .44 mag has a smaller case head and rim size. My book on cartridge conversions says to make it with .303 brit brass.

(Dauphin County)

Fred, I have about (200) 44-40 cases (Starline Brass). They have all been fired a few times, but with mild loads.(80) are not loaded now, (120) are loaded with 215 gr. cast lead bullets over 700X powder. You are welcome to have them at pre-pandemic, pre-Let's Go Brandon prices. If you are interested, I will come up with a price. I may have some more bullets, too. PM if interested. Since some are loaded, I can't ship, but would be happy to meet halfway.

Rock-it3
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.