Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Holsters in local shops.

When I first got into handguns, I was blown away by the lack of places to try and buy holsters. Seemed like this would be one of their primary moneymakers, but no gun stores near me (disclaimer: I'm in PRNY) had any kind of holster selection, and the big-box stores near me just had Uncle Mike's generic nylon holsters.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RB Bellows View Post
    I'd rather just try them on the spot, and give my 20 to 50$ to a regular shop. It's also easier that way.
    While I'm all for supporting local stores, there will usually be a wider selection at a show than a local store, plus at least one booth at Oaks will normally be a custom manufacturer. If you have an unusual piece - or plan to carry with a mounted light or left handed or crossdraw or... - custom may be your only option.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    When I first got into handguns, I was blown away by the lack of places to try and buy holsters. Seemed like this would be one of their primary moneymakers, but no gun stores near me (disclaimer: I'm in PRNY) had any kind of holster selection, and the big-box stores near me just had Uncle Mike's generic nylon holsters.
    The problem for a store stocking holsters "to try" is that stores prefer to sell them, but the larger problem is that holster manufacturers tend to require a new-to-them dealer to take on a "selection" of holsters. In that selection will be models for handguns that are currently popular, and some for handguns that are not at all popular and will collect dust forever.

Then comes the problem of hand. A store may have mostly RH holsters because 10% of the population is LH, so it's likely that the store won't have a LH holster for a SIG 365XL with the optic. In black.

Then comes the problem of materials - the store has to consider leather, kydex, ballistic nylon, etc. in currently popular handgun models. In LH and RH. In brown and black. And tooled or smooth finish for the leather ones.

Then comes trend - a YT handgun "influencer" does a vid about a handgun and mentions a holster that's the best thing since sliced bread that he/she just loves, but not because is a good holster. It's because the holster maker sponsored the vid. The result: The public clamors for that model of holster, good, bad, or indifferent.

I sometimes help a couple FFLs who set up at guns shows. One such FFL took his entire holster stock to the same gun shows three times in succession. Holsters sold: One, in six events.

Holsters are just too personalized an item for them to be profitable for any store.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

If you want to invest in a good belt/ holster combination, i highly recommend theis holsters. I purchased 3 holsters from him and a belt 7 years ago and the belt is still as supportive as the day i bought it. The holsters are solid and hold my "mobile devices" securely.
    https://theisholsters.com/

I would avoid buying in a local shop unless they sell holsters made for specific models. You want a Kydex holster that is form fit to the specific handgun you plan to carry. A lot of websites make it easy to shop by models, some of my favorite holsters are made by Tulster and if you want something more custom I recommend Insane Kydex Creations. Expect a wait time but their holsters are completely custom by gun model and if you're running optics or specific lights etc.

(Bucks County)

I scored a desantis nemesis pocket holster for 9$, but my P90 sticks out. I'm gonna get the one for cargo pockets,since they seem to all be the same size. I never carried before, but it feels comfortable. I'm think I'm still gonna buy a snub nose.

(Northampton County)

I'll second what Noah said, too many options, styles and colors for a shop to carry everything. Very similar to exhaust systems for a Harley, no matter how many you carry in the store, the next guy through the door will want something you don't have.

I have a box full of holsters as testimony to the never ending search. I need a holster for a Speed Six I purchased recently, I'll probably just order something from Milt Sparks and be done with it.

Maybe we need a holster swap meet. Every pistol owner I know has a drawer or box full of holsters they don't use

(Jefferson County)

There is this thing called the internet.. lol Do a search for "holster manufacturer", go to their website and look up their models of holsters. They typically have a selector to choose your gun.

I haven't "test fit" a holster in close to 20 years. Bought all online since, all have fit.

If you got some oldball old gun, or a freshly released gun model - then you may have to fit a generic holster or wait until one is made.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is this thing called the internet.. lol Do a search for "holster manufacturer", go to their website and look up their models of holsters. They typically have a selector to choose your gun.

I haven't "test fit" a holster in close to 20 years. Bought all online since, all have fit.

If you got some oldball old gun, or a freshly released gun model - then you may have to fit a generic holster or wait until one is made.
    I've ordered all my holsters. Almost all the holster companies have a decent return policy.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast