Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Angry More Hoops to Renew (RANT)

Since 1995, All that was required was to show up with a Drivers License, two references to write down, and a check for $20.

I got online this time, see it's a drop box, make a call and I'm told I need to bring a copy of my DL and LCFP.

OK, no surprises so far, but I can see this is going to take two trips. One for the drop box and one once it's approved, to get my picture taken and hopefully leave with a new current permit.

Hours to do this are 8am to 3:15 pm, so it's a hassle for anyone who actually works what used to be a normal job. Again no surprise.

I get there today and I'm directed back into the lobby. It's at this point the guard says I need to return everything in a sealed envelope. He's talking as if I'm taking the form home to fill it out, then make the second out of 3 trips to turn it in.

I have everything I need, and ask where can I fill this out. Outside is the answer. Funny last time I showed up, was given a pen and clipboard so I could do what I came there for, get my pic, pay, and leave with my new permit. Now I'm outside in the wind filling my form out using a garbage can as a desk. I filled the form out, put in in the envelope with copies of my DL and current LCFP, sealed it and dropped it in the box. Hopefully everything correctly done, because if anything is not, there's no one to bring my attention to it. Specifies it will be destroyed. No call back. Just go home and wait for the call. When and if it does come, hopefully the appointment for a pic and pay will fall where I can manage at work. Or do I take more time off ?

You could chalk part of this up to Covid, but we're at low levels now. Anyone who works probably should be there. This is how it's going to be, and it's not going to get better.

It might sound like I'm whining. I'm not. Only pointing out how seemingly minor changes in this process will undoubtedly result in some people who would like a permit ultimately not getting one. Life is busy. The process of renewing my permit shouldn't take this much effort. And the fact that it's getting worse sucks. It doesn't surprise me. That's how they do things, just a bit at a time until for some it's just not worth it or there didn't seem to be enough time.

For someone like me, I'll keep on this. I won't forget. I'll hire a lawyer if I'm refused without reason, etc, But I'm fortunate enough to have the resources to do it. I'm not everyone else who is fit and deserving of a CCP. So it's a gradual process. That's my experience and it's no big secret.

Rant Over, Thanks for Reading,

Joe

Default Re: More Hoops to Renew (RANT)

lol, Thank God for Carbon County... in and out before the door closed behind me
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by BDX2 View Post
    Since 1995, All that was required was to show up with a Drivers License, two references to write down, and a check for $20.

I got online this time, see it's a drop box, make a call and I'm told I need to bring a copy of my DL and LCFP.

OK, no surprises so far, but I can see this is going to take two trips. One for the drop box and one once it's approved, to get my picture taken and hopefully leave with a new current permit.

Hours to do this are 8am to 3:15 pm, so it's a hassle for anyone who actually works what used to be a normal job. Again no surprise.

I get there today and I'm directed back into the lobby. It's at this point the guard says I need to return everything in a sealed envelope. He's talking as if I'm taking the form home to fill it out, then make the second out of 3 trips to turn it in.

I have everything I need, and ask where can I fill this out. Outside is the answer. Funny last time I showed up, was given a pen and clipboard so I could do what I came there for, get my pic, pay, and leave with my new permit. Now I'm outside in the wind filling my form out using a garbage can as a desk. I filled the form out, put in in the envelope with copies of my DL and current LCFP, sealed it and dropped it in the box. Hopefully everything correctly done, because if anything is not, there's no one to bring my attention to it. Specifies it will be destroyed. No call back. Just go home and wait for the call. When and if it does come, hopefully the appointment for a pic and pay will fall where I can manage at work. Or do I take more time off ?

You could chalk part of this up to Covid, but we're at low levels now. Anyone who works probably should be there. This is how it's going to be, and it's not going to get better.

It might sound like I'm whining. I'm not. Only pointing out how seemingly minor changes in this process will undoubtedly result in some people who would like a permit ultimately not getting one. Life is busy. The process of renewing my permit shouldn't take this much effort. And the fact that it's getting worse sucks. It doesn't surprise me. That's how they do things, just a bit at a time until for some it's just not worth it or there didn't seem to be enough time.

For someone like me, I'll keep on this. I won't forget. I'll hire a lawyer if I'm refused without reason, etc, But I'm fortunate enough to have the resources to do it. I'm not everyone else who is fit and deserving of a CCP. So it's a gradual process. That's my experience and it's no big secret.

Joe
    I think I see a couple things that are illegal about this process. Including admitting they will destroy evidence of LTCF applications, requiring additional paperwork (& expense, IE an envelope)
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by BDX2 View Post

Joe
    I think I see a couple things that are illegal about this process. Including admitting they will destroy evidence of LTCF applications, requiring additional paperwork (& expense, IE an envelope). Additionally a drivers license is not required for a LTCF. For example both Philly and Centre counties accept several forms of ID.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001