Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Altoona 19-20 March CANCELLED

I'm getting to be a connoisseur of Mexican restaurants but I don't always eat at one if I don't like the menu. I have a cast iron stomach so I'd be safe eating whatever is there. I'm not sure if I flew in there or not, I may have. Is Zippo headquartered around there somewhere? Is there a Zippo display in the terminal? If so, I've been there. If not, I'm thinking of a different airport.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

No I think you may have been someplace else.
    In PA the Zippo company is located near New York.
    Bradford maybe??
    I never seen a display of anything in the terminal.
    The mexican restaurant is in the front of the building and anytime I've been there , finding another human is difficult.
    The air port is called Altoona/Blair Co , but it's actually in Martinsburg .... maybe 30 minutes from Altoona depending on traffic.
    It's on the other side of Fredericksburg mountain that separates it from Raystown Lake , if you know of that.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    No I think you may have been someplace else.
    In PA the Zippo company is located near New York.
    Bradford maybe??
    I never seen a display of anything in the terminal.
    The mexican restaurant is in the front of the building and anytime I've been there , finding another human is difficult.
    The air port is called Altoona/Blair Co , but it's actually in Martinsburg .... maybe 30 minutes from Altoona depending on traffic.
    It's on the other side of Fredericksburg mountain that separates it from Raystown Lake , if you know of that.
    I know of Raystown Lake and have camped and boated there. It is a nice lake and is one of the only ones I've been swimming in that I didn't feel like I needed a shower afterwards. If Zippo is up north, I might have seen their stuff at Williamsport or Elmira, NY.

(Elk County)

You saw the Zippo stuff at Bradford Regional (BFD) in McKean Co, about 12-15 mi south of Bradford, PA where Zippo HQ and factory are.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You saw the Zippo stuff at Bradford Regional (BFD) in McKean Co, about 12-15 mi south of Bradford, PA where Zippo HQ and factory are.

Noah
    Is that also known as Towanda?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    I am not sure if you meant that in jest or not.
    But , actually that doesn't sound like too bad an idea "compared to the convention center"
    I'm guessing Eagle would get the venue cheaper and for certain the folks in that area from all 4 directions do attend events in that area.
    Combine that with a chicken BBQ and you may have to beat them away with a stick.
    Think of all the horse and buggy folks that would show up , probably not to just attend but to sell also.
    I'd go but round here , no one goes to the convention center areas.
    We just don't. It's kind of a joke and certainly an embarrassment for some.
    Not to mention all the people who live nearby and don't even know that area exists.
    I'll bet I could stop the next 20 folks I see and not 19 would even know that movie theater is there.
    it IS a really good place if you need a place to teach a beginning driver how to drive , park , etc or something like that
    And we get tired of the rape.
    Ever hear of the Midas Touch?
    Touch something it turns to gold.
    Altoona area has the opposite touch.
    they can touch gold and turn it to coal , not even good coal , just ashes.
    And then charge you top dollar for it and make you beg and plead for them to sell it to you.
    It's just how it is.

But the Altoona/Blair Co airport OUT IN MARTINSBURG idea has legit merits I think.
    When I went to the December Altoona show I was amazed by how there was absolutely no traffic on the road going to the convention center.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Is that also known as Towanda?
    No. Towanda is way too far east, and IIRC in Bradford Co. Bradford PA where Zippo is located is in McKean Co.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    When I went to the December Altoona show I was amazed by how there was absolutely no traffic on the road going to the convention center.
    Did you notice how nice the road was and everything else?
    Cause no one uses it.
    That's why that road and parking lots are great for teaching someone to drive , no traffic.
    I got inside it was like being in a funeral paler.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I know of Raystown Lake and have camped and boated there. It is a nice lake and is one of the only ones I've been swimming in that I didn't feel like I needed a shower afterwards. If Zippo is up north, I might have seen their stuff at Williamsport or Elmira, NY.
    Do some stripper fishing there and into the lake trout a little.
    Really got more crowded during the covid years.
    Too many weekend warriors at the C.O.E camps and got away from those years ago.

I used to go camp at Trough creek it's a State park.
    But even that has changed due to the crowds.
    It used to be what I called senior citizen camping , it was so peaceful there.
    Last I was there years back , a riot broke out , I kid you not , I ain't using that word lightly.
    Everyone was punching everyone and fighting was the entire camp ground, kids running from their camps crying.
    I actually had 3 little kids from a different site I found crying in the dark on my camp site.
    Locked them in the camper with the wife and her pistol and I had to stand border guard with mine convincing folks nothing was worth their time at my spot.
    The on site 24 hour on duty armed park ranger never ever showed up.
    I stopped timing the state police response after 45 minutes of no show.
    People always telling me campers are nice and peaceful and no need to be armed.
    It was nuts and this was a campground where noramly after 9pm , we were the only ones still up.
    Too old for that , probably be more peaceful on the streets on portland

(Mifflin County)

i dont know why , but the few times i have been to altoonas show . it seemed like most of the visitors were from wv . its in a great area . just cant see why , it doesnt have the draw ? thinking the vendors may be an issue . do see how it would be an issue , as most travel the whole state to setup .

boondox . my first trip through trough creek state park ? ended with me drawing on a guy , in an altercation along the road . we were 4th in a line of cars , guy and lady were arguing along side their vehicle , along road . lady screaming bloody murder , with him physically holding her , all the other cars kept right on driving ! i didnt . few words were exchanged , guy walked away . cop told me later that night , they ended up dealing with those two at a campground , again that night . it draws the drunks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast