Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with AR sights

Swear I had a thread about this but I can't find it, so I am starting a new one

If this is a duplicate, and someone can find the old one, feel free to merge them

I have an AR I build that I am trying to come up with a sight set up I like

It has an A2 style front post, that is F marked. I verified this myself

I ended up going with a carry handle to be sure they lined up, but I don't really like it. I put a dot on top of that, and I hate that

I am looking for a rear sight that will line up for sure with the front post. Preferably pop up, but I would do a fixed as well. Tring to stay around $50. I was looking at just the good ol MBUS series 2 flip up

I also want to do a lower 1/3 co-witness dot. I have cheaper tru glo right now, but am willing to get a better one. Right now I am more worried about the iron sights before I worry about the dot.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Help with AR sights

MBUS rear sight is fine.

(Franklin County)

Almost any rear sight that's advertised as being for an AR, either flip up or fixed, will line up with the front sight post. If you like the TruGlo red dot you can probably purchase a 1/3 cowitness base for it, otherwise there are some other really nice red dots for decent prices, that come with 1/3 bases.
    Last edited by ray h; March 6th, 2022 at 02:32 PM.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

Even though the Troy battle sight is around $100 it's well worth the extra cost to have a decent back up sight.

https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Industri.../dp/B0051T8UT8

Take off the carry handle, mount the the optical on the rail full forward and then mount the mbus sight to the rear. Sight in however you chose. You can find cheaper flip up sights like the magpul but to me it's money wasted because they suck.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Iron sights are mostly an anachronism that make people feel better. A red dot or holographic mounted directly to the rail on the upper is the way to go. Shoot some action matches or training classes and you will see what I mean. I am an Eotech fan myself, it is the fastest in my hands. I have one of the green reticle eotechs and it is gangbusters. The holographic tricks your brain to think the reticle is actually over the target instead of directly in front of your eye...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

I put a Magpul flip-up MBUS on my AR with a Sig Romeo 5. It cost about $55. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Iron sights are mostly an anachronism that make people feel better. A red dot or holographic mounted directly to the rail on the upper is the way to go. Shoot some action matches or training classes and you will see what I mean. I am an Eotech fan myself, it is the fastest in my hands. I have one of the green reticle eotechs and it is gangbusters. The holographic tricks your brain to think the reticle is actually over the target instead of directly in front of your eye...
    I would love an Eotech but that's not in the budget.

I get what your saying about the sights, I definitely think I would use it way more than iron sights. I guess I just figure I would rather drop the $50ish to have them, just in case. I mean, realistically, the chances of ever NEEDING an AR, statically speaking, is probably lower then the dot dying when I NEED it. I will probably grab a better dot then the one I have

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I put a Magpul flip-up MBUS on my AR with a Sig Romeo 5. It cost about $55. No complaints.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/7PXk07X7/20190102-154835.jpg[/iwmg]
    I think this is the one I will grab

(Montgomery County)

Yup MBUS rear and then get a Holosun 403b for a red dot which will run you a bit over $100. Do not buy anything cheaper than a Romeo 5 or Holosun 403b.

The Holosun and Romeo are nearly identical - but the Holosun has a 1/3rd height mount and the Romeo an absolute.

(Lancaster County)

Use discretion when purchasing AR components from Amazon (Chinese knock-offs)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Yup MBUS rear and then get a Holosun 403b for a red dot which will run you a bit over $100. Do not buy anything cheaper than a Romeo 5 or Holosun 403b.

The Holosun and Romeo are nearly identical - but the Holosun has a 1/3rd height mount and the Romeo an absolute.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    Use discretion when purchasing AR components from Amazon (Chinese knock-offs)
    Thanks folks. I did end up ordering a Magpul MBUS yesterday. And grabbed myself a nice camo hat in the process. (like I need another camo hat) I found the sight for a good price on Optics Planet but it was literally $0.01) under the amount to qualify for free shipping. Shipping would have been $9.95. I grabbed a hat for like $5 and got free shipping LOL

And it's funny, I started researching dot sights (under $200) last night and the Holosun and the Romeo 5 were the 2 I was most interested in.

I do think I want to go absolute co-witness. As someone said, since I am using a flip up sight, most of the time the rear sight will be out of the way, so the lower 1/3 doesn't really make much sense to me. Don't see any reason to have the dot up any higher than necessary, and having 2 different sight pictures to acquire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast