Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 2 or more handguns, or more than 2 handguns?

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    An FFL is required to report the sale of TWO (or more) handguns made in 5 consecutive Business days to ATF on a form 3310.4. This must be done by the end of business the day the second gun is transferred. ALSO the FFL must send a copy of the form to the State Police or the local police where the sale occurred. That is FED law.

Bob D
    Thank you for the clarification.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EFK View Post
    I remember a friend who had two new handguns shipped to a local cranky old ffl who has since passed, and the old dude threw a fit because he didn't want to do a "multiple" whatever that means. Told my friend to pick up one that day and leave the other one there in the safe for a week. I have no idea wtf all that means.
    It means he wanted to charge more money.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    That sounds like what he was saying. It's been a while. Do you have any idea why that is? Isn't the PICS check already going through the ATF?
    PICS only samples the FBI NICS via a database inquiry.

The reason why they started that stuff was to catch strawpurchases.

Of the 3-4 times I've done multiple handgun purchases, only once did an officer show up. And he was really cool about it.. He said to me, "I'm being sent here because my boss. You are under NO obligation to show me your guns. I don't like this any more than you do. If anyone asks, please let them know that I showed up to see if you still have them." Then started walking back to his car. As he was getting in, I said "I understand, Bro. I still have them, and if you really want to see them, I'll get them for you." He then said, "No thank you. Have a good day.", backed out of driveway and pulled away.

That was late 2000's up to 2011, at my old house.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PICS only samples the FBI NICS via a database inquiry.

The reason why they started that stuff was to catch strawpurchases.

Of the 3-4 times I've done multiple handgun purchases, only once did an officer show up. And he was really cool about it.. He said to me, "I'm being sent here because my boss. You are under NO obligation to show me your guns. I don't like this any more than you do. If anyone asks, please let them know that I showed up to see if you still have them." Then started walking back to his car. As he was getting in, I said "I understand, Bro. I still have them, and if you really want to see them, I'll get them for you." He then said, "No thank you. Have a good day.", backed out of driveway and pulled away.

That was late 2000's up to 2011, at my old house.

Wow, that's really interesting that someone actually showed up. Interesting that it's to prevent straw purchases, because it's not reasonable to think someone would buy more than 2 guns at a time.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Wow, that's really interesting that someone actually showed up. Interesting that it's to prevent straw purchases, because it's not reasonable to think someone would buy more than 2 guns at a time.
    I'm guessing the theory behind the purpose is - someone buys multiple handguns, then starts distributing them.

The multi-purchase form and police check is to help mitigate that. ...supposedly.

The one that spurred the visit to me was for a Beretta 92FS and a Davis .32ACP derringer that I got a package deal on. ...would have been 3 guns, but someone else beat me to the Davis .22Mag derringer. Was when DSD Sports was in the old Agway building before moving to behind Sheetz here in Brookville.

Now, that was under an older police chief, and a former mayor that had liberal tendencies.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Just out of curiosity was it someone from BATF or local law enforcement that visited you? It is my understanding that what BATF is looking for in the multiple handgun sales form is something along the lines of someone buying 5 Hi Point pistols or a few Glock model 19s. Basically multiple purchases of guns that show up in crimes. Buying multiple but different handguns like you bought or multiple older collectible handguns generally won't raise eyebrow's at BATF. God only knows what prompts local sheriff's departments though.

Here is a link to the multiple sale of handguns form at BATF's website complete with instructions if anyone wants to look at it. The instructions will answer most everyone's questions.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...33104/download

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12