Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default "Please refrain from open carry" signs.

If this has been brought up before let me know or post a link to the thread and I'll check it out. I just haven't seen anything so I am posting this here.

I've noticed a few places putting up signs saying something like "Please refrain from open carrying firearms". I know Walmart decided to go with this not to long ago because of some incident somewhere I can't remember. Other stores have the "no firearms" signs, but what are the thoughts on the "please refrain" signs? It feels more like a request that doesn't seem to hold the same weight as the "no firearms" signs. Sure they could ask you to leave, but I guess its still a posted "request/ rule" like any other post on the door.

I thought about this the other day when walking out of the Harrisburg Walmart and noticed someone walking in open carrying. I would have gave him at least a thumbs up had I noticed sooner.
    Last edited by Clyde1993; February 26th, 2022 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Change title
    I need a better signature than this...

(Butler County)

Default Re: "Please don't open carry here" signs.

Private businesses are not off limits per current law. You're able to open or conceal carry (conceal carry with a LTCF obviously), until they ask you to leave. It's really that simple.
    -Brandon

There's a difference between open carry and concealed carry. A private business asking someone not to open carry is well within their rights, and reasonable I think. Please refrain is doing it in a polite way. And that sign tells me they don't mind concealed carry.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Please refrain from open carry" signs.

It was FOUR YEARS ago that Walmart announced that policy. LOL

I can't believe it's been that long.

Honestly, I have no idea how the law factors into something that they "request" that customers do not openly carry firearms.

Seems to me that a request is just that. I don't get everything I request - not sure how it works in this instance.

Gimme a second and I'll post the firearms policies.
    I'm logged in when I do it from my laptop and I don't like that they track everything. I'll find the link from my phone and post it...

Here you go:

https://corporate.walmart.com/policies

Open Carry of Firearms

Motivated by our desire to create a safe environment in our stores and clubs, we request that customers no longer openly carry firearms into Walmart or Sam*s Club locations in states where open carry is permitted * unless they are authorized law enforcement.
    As of September 2019, we are working to create and display new signage to help communicate this policy.

We will continue to follow state and local laws regarding concealed carry permit holders.

Last updated: September 3, 2019
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    There's a difference between open carry and concealed carry. A private business asking someone not to open carry is well within their rights, and reasonable I think. Please refrain is doing it in a polite way. And that sign tells me they don't mind concealed carry.
    Walmart also "respectfully asks" (very polite, right?) that everyone wear a mask (well, they used to), but I respectfully say go fuck yourself.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Walmart also "respectfully asks" (very polite, right?) that everyone wear a mask (well, they used to), but I respectfully say go fuck yourself.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's all fair game until a representative of the business/property asks you to leave. If you don't, thats on you to face the consequences.
    -Brandon

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: "Please refrain from open carry" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It was FOUR YEARS ago that Walmart announced that policy. LOL

Last updated: September 3, 2019
    YeaI know its been out for a while, but I just noticed the actual sign not too long ago. I don't tend to look at signs on doors lol. I also noticed it on a grocery store near me that says the same thing, but if you just look at the picture it shows a gun with the "do not (circle, backslash) sign over it with lettering below it saying about not open carrying. So just with a quick look it appears to be sending a message of "no firearms". I was just curious of others thoughts on this because of seeing the other guy open carrying as I was walking out. Also, thanks for the article.

Thats the other thing they "respectfully ask" thats kind of like a request that doesn't actually need to be followed unless someone gets their panties twisted and wants to make it an issue. I'm sure none of this would matter if brought in front of a judge. I'm sure they'd simply say they asked you not to so its their rule.
    I need a better signature than this...

A request is fine with me. They are asking that people dont open carry. Its really an adult way of going about things. If you dont like something, you dont ban it but you let your thoughts be known and then let people make their own decision. A lot of people will read that and respect their wishes. Some who really believe in open carry will still open carry, I don*t see a request as treading on peoples rights.

I read it as *we ask that you not open carry but if you do so be it*. Not a big deal to me. Demanding people not open carry or carry at all in the store would be a bigger deal to me.