Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Recommend a Prepping Type YouTube Channel

I don't eat, sleep, and breathe "prepping", so maybe some of you who DO, can help pick a few of the better prepping channels out of the thousands of YouTube channels that are out there.

Personally, I prefer info that is more "real world" than "bugout scenario" - info that is more practical than fantasy, but any type of suggestion is welcome.

With limited finances, I'm not interested in tips and "how to" videos that require tons of money to implement. For example, I'll buy some gallon jugs of water and learn how to store it, but a 500 gallon "survival water tank" is not on my radar.

I stumbled on this channel, and while I have only watched a few, and can't really "recommend" her channel, I like how she mostly keeps things realistic - buying extra food and things such as I have already started doing.
    (I did note that she and her husband are pro-2A, so there's that)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXB...GPA4Yyw/videos

There are SO many channels of self-proclaimed "preppers".
    Share the ones you have found to be helpful!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Recommend a Prepping Type YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't eat, sleep, and breathe "prepping", so maybe some of you who DO, can help pick a few of the better prepping channels out of the thousands of YouTube channels that are out there.

Personally, I prefer info that is more "real world" than "bugout scenario" - info that is more practical than fantasy, but any type of suggestion is welcome.

With limited finances, I'm not interested in tips and "how to" videos that require tons of money to implement. For example, I'll buy some gallon jugs of water and learn how to store it, but a 500 gallon "survival water tank" is not on my radar.

I stumbled on this channel, and while I have only watched a few, and can't really "recommend" her channel, I like how she mostly keeps things realistic - buying extra food and things such as I have already started doing.

I can point you towards a good class on it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wyoming County)

While I enjoy following/watching prepping threads and videos, I often find myself unwilling to go all in on prepping.

As far as YouTube preppers the biggest one that comes to mind that I have enjoyed is Sootch00(his gun channel)

His prepper channel is called: "sensible prepper: https://www.youtube.com/user/SensiblePrepper
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

I've watched some of southernprepper1's videos over the years, I find patriotnurse is another interesting channel. They're both on youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/user/southernprepper1

I dont prep, but I did score pork tenderloin today for 99cents a lb.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    While I enjoy following/watching prepping threads and videos, I often find myself unwilling to go all in on prepping.

As far as YouTube preppers the biggest one that comes to mind that I have enjoyed is Sootch00(his gun channel)

His prepper channel is called: "sensible prepper: https://www.youtube.com/user/SensiblePrepper
    I always forget that he has the prepping channel.

Thanks to your reminder, I just saw this video released today that shows some cool vehicle bag options which I'm still looking into.

Potassium Iodide Tablets

Not a prepper site vid.. Just a thing you might want if you dont already.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Union County)

In my opinion, the Bear Independent channel is the best. If you want a comprehensive, step by step overview of what you could be doing, start with The Prepper Classroom playlist. I guarantee you there is something of value in every video. Regardless of where you are in your preparedness journey. He's also not going to tell you anything that doesn't work, or teach you straight theory. He lives what he does. What you see is what you get. That dude is as genuine as they come. Try out the YouTube channel, and if you start finding value in it come see us on Patreon as well. For just a couple bucks a month to get through the Patreon paywall, it's like getting a peek behind the velvet curtain and there's so much more available to you.

https://youtube.com/c/TJMorrisNTXMAG

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL..._Y0sC4w5aKN66w
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Allegheny County)

I'm trying to figure out how to store some foods long term and it's maddening because there must be thousands of "experts" on Youtube all telling you something different.

I have flour and instant non-fat dry milk to start with - each of those I have more than we will use any time soon.
    I figured instead of throwing it out because it's near or at the packaged "use by" date, I would rather try and "seal them up".

I see that Mylar is for long term and "Food Saver" vacuum bags are for "short term", but I'm not seeing a good, definitive answer to which I NEED to use.
    I HAVE a Food Saver - I would need to BUY Mylar - and apparently oxygen absorbers - and deal with all the stuff that goes along with it like figuring out how to seal the Mylar and how to keep oxygen absorbers from going bad once opened.

I'm already frustrated and thinking I'll just vacuum pack it and hope for the best.

(Montgomery County)

I'm trying to figure out how to store some foods long term and it's maddening because there must be thousands of "experts" on Youtube all telling you something different.

I have flour and instant non-fat dry milk to start with - each of those I have more than we will use any time soon.
    I figured instead of throwing it out because it's near or at the packaged "use by" date, I would rather try and "seal them up".

I see that Mylar is for long term and "Food Saver" vacuum bags are for "short term", but I'm not seeing a good, definitive answer to which I NEED to use.
    I HAVE a Food Saver - I would need to BUY Mylar - and apparently oxygen absorbers - and deal with all the stuff that goes along with it like figuring out how to seal the Mylar and how to keep oxygen absorbers from going bad once opened.

I'm already frustrated and thinking I'll just vacuum pack it and hope for the best.

Using Mylar bags and O2 absorbers is stupidly easy. Buy a bunch of bags - mark the bag with contents, fill it with the food, drop in an O2 absorbers, then you seal it with an iron on medium heat. It's very easy to seal.

You seal the excess O2 absorbers in mylar using the same method. Again it's incredibly easy you just need the bags, absorbers, scissors and an iron.

This is the best bang for your buck, so definitely worth pursuing. The easiest method is to buy mountain house pouches and you're done but they get very pricey. Compared to buying bulk food for cheap (even at FJB prices) and spending and hour portioning and sealing them up.

Food that I've sealed with this method: quinoa, rolled oats, dried lentils and beans, grits, pasta, rice (white, parboiled, not brown)

I like a blended approach of mountain house, generic bulk foods sealed up, MREs and canned. Obviously you can go full send and start growing your own but that's a huge step and you need the space.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast