Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Recommend a Prepping Type YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Using Mylar bags and O2 absorbers is stupidly easy. Buy a bunch of bags - mark the bag with contents, fill it with the food, drop in an O2 absorbers, then you seal it with an iron on medium heat. It's very easy to seal.

You seal the excess O2 absorbers in mylar using the same method. Again it's incredibly easy you just need the bags, absorbers, scissors and an iron.

This is the best bang for your buck, so definitely worth pursuing. The easiest method is to buy mountain house pouches and you're done but they get very pricey. Compared to buying bulk food for cheap (even at FJB prices) and spending and hour portioning and sealing them up.

Food that I've sealed with this method: quinoa, rolled oats, dried lentils and beans, grits, pasta, rice (white, parboiled, not brown)

I like a blended approach of mountain house, generic bulk foods sealed up, MREs and canned. Obviously you can go full send and start growing your own but that's a huge step and you need the space.
    Vacuum seal them in a mason jar, then you're not wasting a mylar bag and the jar can be opened and sealed as needed.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

And for water don't overlook just buying cases of the 0.5L bottles. It's actually pretty cost effective at about $3/5 gallons of store brand. Buying 5 gallon jugs and some Aquamira is going to end up more expensive. The good ones are $20-30 each. Buy 20 cases and spend $60 now you have 100 gallons with zero effort besides lugging them around.

(Don't store them directly on a concrete floor, bad taste can transfer through the plastic, something I've heard - can't verify)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Vacuum seal them in a mason jar, then you're not wasting a mylar bag and the jar can be opened and sealed as needed.
    Good tip! I just re-use the mylar after cutting it open... Each time the bag gets a bit smaller, of course.

(Allegheny County)

So does anyone know if I NEED to seal flour or powdered (non-fat) milk in Mylar?

I did see 2 vids showing to put oxygen absorbers into a mason jar.

I also just watched a vid showing how to "dry can" pasta and such in mason jars in the oven.
    Yet another video that conflicts with other videos on what should/should not be done.

I also watched a video about growing potatoes. Hmmm... We already plant our tomatoes in "party tubs" - why not potatoes???
    Well, then I saw the "yield". About 4-5 lbs from a similarly sized container. Seems like a lot of work and waiting for minimal potatoes - and it's not like you get to "pick" potatoes as you need them. I guess if everything goes to shit, I now know how to grow potatoes, but I'll starve to death before I can grow them. LOL
    I'll continue to buy them in the store.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    While I enjoy following/watching prepping threads and videos, I often find myself unwilling to go all in on prepping.

As far as YouTube preppers the biggest one that comes to mind that I have enjoyed is Sootch00(his gun channel)

His prepper channel is called: "sensible prepper: https://www.youtube.com/user/SensiblePrepper
    Sootch is absolute fucking clown. Always recommending dogshit gear and putting out videos just to try to break into the YT trending feed. See his "prepping" video on fucking fidget spinners for example.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Tioga County)

Nutnfancy did some good videos in the past on water storage and building bug out bags and kits of various things.

My prepping consists of things that can last for a while or have long term storage abilities, I buy up a stock of and eat and use the stock. As it diminishes I replace once it reaches a certain point. If I have five boxes of whatever, I buy and replace one or two more to replace the empty space on the shelf. I always have extra things like toilet paper, batteries, cereal, flour, canned goods, propane cylinders, firewood, etc.

(Allegheny County)

"NUCLEAR WAR IS COMING!"

"ARE YOU READY FOR WHAT IS COMING?"

"NUCLEAR WAR - Prepping to Shelter in Place - Nuclear Event Possible"

"TEN ITEMS to Stockpile NOW!"

"BUY THESE NOW!!!"

"Start Prepping NOW! Shortages are REAL!!!"

"Prepare for the STARVATION!"

"A FAMINE is Coming! More News on FOOD SHORTAGES!"

"FIVE items YOU NEED NOW!!!"

Some of the titles showing up in my "suggested" Youtube list.
    Good grief. This is why I was asking for suggestions.
    There's a gazillion "prepper" channels and most of them seem to either be batshit crazy, or just looking to get paid for clicks.
    It's hard to weed out the bullshit to find people with decent content.

I watched some moron talking about his "recon trip" to Walmart and how they are trying to "fool you" by spreading products out on the shelves, and trying to make it look like they have food when they don't.
    Dumbass. That's basic marketing. When I started working at Walmart, my team was primarily tasked with "zoning" - pulling all goods to the front, and "filling" the empty space with what was already there. Walmart wasn't trying to "fool" anyone - it just makes for a better visual appearance and a more positive shopping experience.
    Most stores have a "Two O'clock Zone", where associates from all over the store go to the grocery aisles and zone until the aisles look neat and tidy.
    It's got nothing to do with the current food situation - it's been done for years.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I prefer homesteading channels over the clickbait overhyped prepper vids. Sow the Land, Justin Rhodes, Living Traditions Homestead, Jill Winger, Farmhouse on Boone to name a few.

Also if you dont know how to break down an animal watch some butchering vids like Scott Rhea. There's no substitution for experience. Order a whole pig from a local supplier and get your hands dirty. You can order a pig killed and cleaned to skip that part. I had mine split in half down the center. Took it home, made primal cuts and butchered each section from there.

No youtube channel is worth shit anymore. Now with the monetization shit everyone and their mother has clickbait titles, "like subscribe shit", and "a word from our sponsors". They're all money driven, not people with regular jobs who want to share their ideas with other like minded people.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    No youtube channel is worth shit anymore. Now with the monetization shit everyone and their mother has clickbait titles, "like subscribe shit", and "a word from our sponsors". They're all money driven, not people with regular jobs who want to share their ideas with other like minded people.
    Oh really.

I've seen this over the years from people actually going back to my ebay days 20-25 years ago. A lot of people think if you do something online it's a hobby and you should be doing it for free just for them and if you make a buck you are a capitalist pig.

I do Youtube videos and there is a significant cost in my time and so far I have kept expenses down, but if I want to upgrade production quality there will be a cost to doing it. I certainly enjoy the creativity and mostly enjoy doing it. Like in my days of ebay, most people are great but there are always a few numbnuts to deal with.

You see a lot of dead Youtube channels that build up a little and then die out because the reality is that it is a time suck and ultimately it has to pay for itself, especially if you are going to take it semi seriously. The way I approach it is with affiliate marketing, if I have a product I like, I can put the link in the description for people to purchase and if they do I get a very small commission. The benefit is I can take those funds and reinvest them into the channel with more stuff to review or equipment to film so the consumer has a better video to watch and more content to consume.

All the like subscribe shit is serious because Youtube is very data driven. The more likes and subs you get, the more likely your video will get shown in search results. People naturally are always more inclined to click on the more successful videos when they do a search. So again someone like yourself wants all this stuff fed to you in the results, but as a video creator if you don't have good community engagement with likes, more subs and people leaving comments, you are buried in the basement of Youtube.

So it's a nice thought that one can be an amateur hobbyist Youtuber and some are and I still am to some extent. The reality is that to produce higher quality content that people reliably watch and to build an audience for takes time and money and needs an income source and an investment of time that will compete with your "regular job".

I say to those that criticize them money grubbin Youtubers, start your own channel and start making your own videos and check back in a year once you have put out a video every week. I am eager to see your results and thoughts after a year of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast