Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Need help with handgun accuracy

Just got back from the range. I am not too proud to admit I need to improve. A lot.

Shot 3 guns.

I always start with the highest caliber.

I am really disappointed with my shooting. I have 4 weeks of law enforcement training, about 4,000 rounds over the last 2 years.

I started today with my Springfield XD 9mm 4 inch. Shot 50 rounds of Federal 115grain

I was only shooting at 15 feet, taking my time between shots.

I have had this gun for a few years, and have put a few hundred rounds per year through it.

These are my two targets, 8 1/2 x 11 paper

Yeah, I suck

Up next is my 1911 - 22. I have thousands of rounds through this. I shoot it at least once per month. I can usually shoot it better, but it's a good reference. Same size targets, still at 15 feet

Last is my cheapest gun, shooting my cheapest ammo. Heritage Rough Rider, 6 inch barrel and Federal bulk ammo. Still at 15 feet

By far my best shooting. But it shouldn't be. I have less rounds through it then any other. And again, it's the cheapest gun with the chepaest ammo. (I was shooting CCI minimags through the 1911)

The Rough Rider has the longest barrel and lightest trigger, but again, it's cheap and has the worst sights.

I don't know what to do

My biggest concern is my accuracy with my XD. I carry it all the time if I am not working.

I can't afford ammo to shoot too much more often. I could probably swing about 50 rounds per month

I'd love to just go buy a double stack 1911 9MM but that isn't in the cards

Reloading my own isn't an option as I don't have the money for equipment and supplies or the room to set up

I do know I should dry fire, but it's so dang boring LOL. Maybe I should grab a laser training set up?

Thoughts, suggestions???

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Need help with handgun accuracy

Try this

(Allegheny County)

Given your background, it's difficult to determine what your issues are.

I'm sure your trainers have gone over stance ( regardless of Weaver or Iscoleles).
    Grip. Hold your firearm extended at low ready, extend your support hand out and down at a 45 degree angle before gripping the pistol. The more surface contact you have with your grip, the better you can control the gun.

If I were you, I would start with the smaller caliber and work.up.

You know about sight alignment and sight picture.
    The focus should be on the front sight. You should be able to see the machining / grooves on the front sight. Rear sight ND target should be slightly out of focus.

Trigger press / follow through.

When you press through the trigger to shot, keep the trigger to the rear until you have a new sight picture. ( follow through).
    Then allow the trigger to advance forward but only to the reset position. Another shot, recoil, trigger kept to rear. Next sight picture, trigger advance to reset, press again.

There's all kind of people on here which will likely give you better advice. This is how the trainers I've had teach it.

You say you are tight for cash but I would suggest a basic tactical handgun class taught by a professional instructor.

I'd personally skip the laser.
    Learn with the irons
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't say you suck, suck is half the rounds don't hit paper. You have room to improve, as does everyone.

The one 1911-22 I shot (is it the Sig/GSG?) was horribly inaccurate. The gutter sights on the Heritage aren't going to give great accuracy, like you mention. But yeah at 15 feet yeah things could definitely be better.

Your accuracy is fine (the groups are generally centered for the sight picture you're using), your precision is what needs work. What's precision? It's the repeatability of all things happening just prior to the shot. Do the exact same thing every time with your grip, sight alignment, breath control and trigger press and your groups will tighten. Easier said than done, but at the core it's that simple. Use that mentality.

If cash is short I'd recommend scouring YouTube for good tips. Combine that with dry fire and you have free training. I'm a proponent of being self taught. And dry fire isn't just standing in one place doing the same thing... It's every drill you'd do on the range. Dry fire behind cover, dry fire weak hand, dry fire laying down like your opponent knocked you down, get creative...

Also what is your goal here? If you're a bullseye competition shooter, yeah you suck. But if you're primarily a self defender, your accuracy is adequate and there are other aspects to work on besides just slow fire accuracy (holster draw mechanics, target transitions, one handed firing, firing from retention, etc.).

What's your duty gun and how do you shoot with that?

(Montgomery County)

Also are you 'prepping' the trigger on your XD or just pulling straight through? Are you shooting to reset?

Here's a good one that got posted today:

Lots of good videos on the active self protection extra channel
    Last edited by jthrelf; February 21st, 2022 at 03:55 PM.

(Berks County)

One lesson I learned about factory ammo is try other brands. I was shooting crap groups Winchester white box and federal 9mm out of a Glock but privi partisan tightened things up considerably. You get yourself a target 177 air pistol and 5 to 10 pounds of pellets and tell me how well you can shoot after the pellets are gone.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Maybe a lighter trigger, focus on having the exact same sight picture, aim at something smaller. See how well you group bench rested. At that range I doubt its gun or ammo related. If you have dummy rounds, throw one in once a mag to see if you are flinching. If you get a laser trainer be careful not to just look at where the dot is, look at the sight picture. I tried one for a while and just went back to normal dry fire because of that.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Have an experienced shooter video tape your shooting of your handguns .just may see what your doing wrong and what to do to correct it ! Good Luck !

Lots of good advice and things to consider

I'll digest all of this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

The one 1911-22 I shot (is it the Sig/GSG?) was horribly inaccurate. The gutter sights on the Heritage aren't going to give great accuracy, like you mention. But yeah at 15 feet yeah things could definitely be better.
    It is a GSG. It definitely isn't a bullseye gun, but I usually shoot it better than the target. It's usually my most accurate. But it's a full size 1911 with no recoil.

Also what is your goal here? If you're a bullseye competition shooter, yeah you suck. But if you're primarily a self defender, your accuracy is adequate and th ere are other aspects to work on besides just slow fire accuracy (holster draw mechanics, target transitions, one handed firing, firing from retention, etc.).
    I wouldn't say my goal is precision. Definitely self defense, but I'd like a group better than this. At 15 feet, yeah, this is fine for self defense. But if I move out further, that group will open up considerably

What's your duty gun and how do you shoot with that?
    Duty weapon is a G45. I shoot it about the same as the XD, maybe a little better. I need to get it out soon and put some more rounds through it. I am actually considering selling my XD and replacing it with a G45, I like the Glock (never thought I would say that) and that way I am only using one gun. Always carrying the same gun, always the same trigger, grip angle, etc...

Even thought of getting a G44 for cheaper training. Shot one recently and it was very similar to the G45, just a little smaller grip. (size of a 19 vs 1 17)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast