Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Need help with handgun accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what's average, above average and really good at 25 yds so I know if I'm having a good day or a bad day.
    Pie plate, saucer, shot glass
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Buy an official NRA 25-yard handgun target. All rounds in the center-most scoring point is above average. Most in there with a few one ring outside of it is above average. All rounds somewhere on the paper is average. Jmo-ianae
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    I could probably swing about 50 rounds per month

Thoughts, suggestions???
    When I shoot that little an amount (that's the trend as I get older), it's all dot targets, each round very slowly, spending 100% of the time fixated on the sight picture. 50 rds of dot torture is IMO the best use of your time if you don't yet have a baseline of accuracy

(Lancaster County)

Dry fire with the XD. Stick a rubber band in the ejection port to keep the slide from closing so that the trigger doesn't release the striker, that way you can repeat the trigger press multiple times instead of having to rack the slide every time. Weight your magazines with dummy rounds so you get the full weight in the gun. I made a bunch of 1/5th size targets out of cardboard boxes by taking the measurements of IPSC/USPSA targets and scaling down, then sticking them to my walls of my shop with a thumbtack in the middle as the center spot for aiming. It helps a lot with consistent grip, sight alignment, and trigger control which is the majority of pistol shooting. Guys who compete that shoot 10K rounds a year still do 5-10x that in dry fire and it costs them nothing. If it didn't yield results they wouldn't do it.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I've never heard of the rubber band in the slide, I'll check that out

(Berks County)

If you do decide to go with a laser training device, the Mantis products are reasonably priced and have very good reviews.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Just got back from the range. I am not too proud to admit I need to improve. A lot.

Shot 3 guns.

I always start with the highest caliber.

I am really disappointed with my shooting. I have 4 weeks of law enforcement training, about 4,000 rounds over the last 2 years.

I started today with my Springfield XD 9mm 4 inch. Shot 50 rounds of Federal 115grain

I was only shooting at 15 feet, taking my time between shots.

I have had this gun for a few years, and have put a few hundred rounds per year through it.

These are my two targets, 8 1/2 x 11 paper

Yeah, I suck

Up next is my 1911 - 22. I have thousands of rounds through this. I shoot it at least once per month. I can usually shoot it better, but it's a good reference. Same size targets, still at 15 feet

Last is my cheapest gun, shooting my cheapest ammo. Heritage Rough Rider, 6 inch barrel and Federal bulk ammo. Still at 15 feet

By far my best shooting. But it shouldn't be. I have less rounds through it then any other. And again, it's the cheapest gun with the chepaest ammo. (I was shooting CCI minimags through the 1911)

The Rough Rider has the longest barrel and lightest trigger, but again, it's cheap and has the worst sights.

I don't know what to do

My biggest concern is my accuracy with my XD. I carry it all the time if I am not working.

I can't afford ammo to shoot too much more often. I could probably swing about 50 rounds per month

I'd love to just go buy a double stack 1911 9MM but that isn't in the cards

Reloading my own isn't an option as I don't have the money for equipment and supplies or the room to set up

I do know I should dry fire, but it's so dang boring LOL. Maybe I should grab a laser training set up?

Thoughts, suggestions???
    I have a suggestion, try starting with the smallest caliber FIRST! get warmed up and consistent with the.22 and then move up in caliber. .22 is a heck of a lot cheaper to practice with and you can build muscle memory with killing you wallet.And by the way, you don't suck you just need more practice.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

I typically do start with the 22

The issue there is I have two 22s, one is a 1911 and one is a Heritage Rough Rider. My carry and duty guns are both striker fired, so entirely different triggers.

That's why I am considering getting the Glock G44

(Montgomery County)

Slow Down, shoot less intensely and change your target more often. Targets are cheap, ammo aint. Take the little breaks in between and focus on the one shot you are making. Change your target maybe every five or ten shots. This helps you know where you are hitting, when and how. Slow Down.

I regularly seed people shoot twenty bucks in ammo at a forty cent target... they are not improving.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

I have seen my mom go through this. While not apparent at the range, as it turns out her eyesight was deteriorating. Not sure if that was recommended here, but when was the last time you had an eye exam? I get my eyes checked at least once a year (but that's for my Type 2 Diabetes).

As far as accuracy goes, when your front sight is your main focus with your rears and target blurry, bad eyesight can further complicate things. This is of course mitigated to a large extent with a red dot. Once I discovered how much easier it was with a mounted red dot optic (shot RMRs and Holosun 508, 509 and 507k) I have never looked back. You are literally keeping both eyes open, focusing on target and the dot just magically superimposes on target. What that has done for me is 2 things, 1 - tightened up my groups, 2 - helped me with my grip and stance to keep that dot from dancing all over the place.

Just my $0.02. I hope this helps. Thank you for keeping our community safe.
    Last edited by CobraCharmer; July 1st, 2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast