Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Need help with handgun accuracy

As someone who teaches about 50 people a year how to shoot a handgun, this is difficult to do remotely. It's hard to figure out what the problem is without being able to see your hands and the rest of your body, as well as test your firearm and ammo to determine if it is you or the equipment. I suggest you find an instructor local to you who can help you with this. This could be anything from the way you're utilizing your support hand to needing a thinner front sight and wider rear notch sight.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Tape a pointer-type laser to any of the three pistols. Dry fire at the target at 15 feet. Watch, and/or have a friend watch, the laser spot on the target as the trigger breaks. The motion and movement of the laser dot will amplify everything you are doing, making analysis of your problem(s) easier to accomplish.

I'd offer that the impacts indicate that you are in effect point shooting. Not deliberately, just in effect. Time has gone by, your eyes are aging just a little, and the ability to keep sights and target focused/semi-focused is a little more difficult. The last focus you should have as the trigger breaks is sharp focus on the front sight, target a bit blurry.

I don't think it's poor trigger habit. That usually forms a pattern that can be recognized.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

I'm still trying to figure out what's average, above average and really good at 25 yds so I know if I'm having a good day or a bad day.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what's average, above average and really good at 25 yds so I know if I'm having a good day or a bad day.
    My 2 cents at 25 yards is 8-12" is average, 4-8" is above average, <4" is very good. All off hand. I guess you can throw 12-18" in there as 'adequate'... it does hit 18" military doctrine for center of mass hits.

I'm just spitballing. Also are you shooting a J-frame or a 5" 1911 with target sights? Very much determines how impressive the group is
    Last edited by jthrelf; February 22nd, 2022 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Tape a pointer-type laser to any of the three pistols. Dry fire at the target at 15 feet. Watch, and/or have a friend watch, the laser spot on the target as the trigger breaks. The motion and movement of the laser dot will amplify everything you are doing, making analysis of your problem(s) easier to accomplish.

I'd offer that the impacts indicate that you are in effect point shooting. Not deliberately, just in effect. Time has gone by, your eyes are aging just a little, and the ability to keep sights and target focused/semi-focused is a little more difficult. The last focus you should have as the trigger breaks is sharp focus on the front sight, target a bit blurry.

I don't think it's poor trigger habit. That usually forms a pattern that can be recognized.
    I do wear bi-focals, and it's kinda dark in my range. Somehow, I was able to find that front sight on the heritage better than the other two.

I agree on the trigger/grip idea, there's no consistency...not all high, low, right, etc...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    As someone who teaches about 50 people a year how to shoot a handgun, this is difficult to do remotely. It's hard to figure out what the problem is without being able to see your hands and the rest of your body, as well as test your firearm and ammo to determine if it is you or the equipment. I suggest you find an instructor local to you who can help you with this. This could be anything from the way you're utilizing your support hand to needing a thinner front sight and wider rear notch sight.
    Agree with above. A personal instructor would be money well spent at today's ammo prices.

I would suggest a few things to think about.

Shoot from a rest and see if there is a difference.

Just looking at your pics, common problems could be not focusing on front sight & jerking the trigger instead of a controlled pull.
    Firearms have only two enemies, rust and politicians.

A couple suggestions:

1) For improving trigger control, consider a laser training cartridge to aid in dry fire. They flash a brief laser dot when the firing pin hits the "primer" switch. They aren't too expensive and make dry fire much more rewarding and fun.

Don't bother with the training app that most of them come with -- they are a pain to set up and not that useful. Just pick out a light switch or a screw on the light switch cover plate in a room in your home and start practicing keeping the dot perfectly still throughout its flash. If you see a streak of light, you're jerking the gun during the trigger press.

Obviously, make sure you don't have any live ammunition in the gun or in the room when you start to practice and pick a spot where people won't walk through your line of "fire".

2.) John Lovell is a former Army Ranger who is a well known firearms instructor (and more). He has his own network of streaming shows that you can watch online or on a Roku or app called Warrior Poet Society Network (https://www.watchwpsn.com). He has high quality recordings of all of his Pistol 1, 2, and 3 classes plus Rifle 1 and 2 on his network.

Pistol 1 covers all of the pistol shooting fundamentals. I highly recommend this to anyone. It is very inexpensive to try for a month or a year.
    Last edited by buckengr; March 3rd, 2022 at 12:15 AM.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Monroe County)

1- Sorry but your shooting is a result of the training, it will qual but now you learning a new way and it's hard to unlearn habits.
    2- XD is not the best but it should work. A better trigger would help and maybe the sights for a more target sight pic.
    3- SLOW DOWN! It's the quality of ten really good shots that do more than 100 eh shots.
    4- Dryfire! There are several good dry fire aids out there. I recommend the Mantix X, it will give tips on the spot, you can track your progress and use it for live fire.
    5- Start small or restart small, .22 fundamentals are just that, .22-or .45 grip, sight alignment, breathing, and trigger control are all the same.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I definitely need to dry fire more. No excuses.
    And I do a fair amount of 22 shooting. But, my 22 is a 5 inch 1911 and my carry gun is a 4 inch striker fire. SO while fundamentals still apply, totally different gun. I am seriously thinking of getting the Glock 44 so it will translate better to my G45 duty weapon.

Instructors are great and save time and ammo but you can do plenty without one. I've learned so much from books, videos and practice. Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos is a great book. Then check out any of the top USPSA shooter's YouTube channels. This is not tactical at all but their gun handling and techniques are outstanding. Ben Stoeger, Bob Vogue, Max Michel, Jerry Miculek and Rob Letham all have great information.

I can't recommend that book enough. The only thing in it I disagree with is grip. He talks about holding the gun as tight as a hammer. My experience is you crush the gun with your weak hand, strong hand as hard as you can without effecting trigger control. Dry fire every day and put in the work. You'll get better quick.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast