Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Rethinking home defense options

As things change I feel theres a fair chance that if I am a victim of a home incursion or home invasion, I need to plan that the perpetrators may be wearing body armor. So I'm rethinking my weaponry.
    I have been keeping a 10.5" 556 pistol ready and close by but I think I may go back to a rifle length 556, which can defeat level III armor(even though it's not supposed to).
    Here's what I'm thinking, a 55 grain 556 has enough velocity to defeat steel armor but wont go through composite armor. A 62 grain green tip doesn't have the velocity to go through steel but will defeat composite.
    Since I don't know what an intruders will be wearing I'm going to alternate green tip and 55 grain ball in my mags.
    Am I dreaming or over thinking it?
    The Hostler

Default Re: Rethinking home defense options

In the state of PA, armor piercing ammo is illegal to be fired from a pistol. If you wanted green tip's it would be good to get an sbr. My nightstand gun is an sbr p90 with tri-lug can with SS198LF green tip's.

I don't know about the layout of your house, or if you still have your hearing. 5.56 goes bang, if it's a short barrel there will be a hell of a fireball. But in my book, AR's are field rifles. Very nice guns, and best used outdoors. I like PCC's for CQB, my first choice being the p90, second being the scorpion or stribog in 9mm, all are very effective at being suppressed, and compact and light weight.

(Butler County)

If you're going to go through the trouble to do an SBR, might as well get a can to go with it and try and reduce some of the noise.
    -Brandon

(Northumberland County)

Statistically speaking, I think the odds of being robbed by an armored assailant are probably pretty low. If for some reason you think that's a risk yet though, I'd just load up on green tips and call it a day if you're staying with an AR. It's not like 55 or 62 grain is going to expand much regardless, so you might as well go for the max penetration. Otherwise, up the caliber, in whatever flavor you prefer.

To paraphrase Rainbox Six (the game guide, not the book), if your enemy has body armor, shoot them in the groin.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Statistically speaking, I think the odds of being robbed by an armored assailant are probably pretty low. If for some reason you think that's a risk yet though, I'd just load up on green tips and call it a day if you're staying with an AR. It's not like 55 or 62 grain is going to expand much regardless, so you might as well go for the max penetration. Otherwise, up the caliber, in whatever flavor you prefer.

To paraphrase Rainbox Six (the game guide, not the book), if your enemy has body armor, shoot them in the groin.
    I prefer the face.

Hell of a lot harder for their buddies to press on when half the dudes face might be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    If you're going to go through the trouble to do an SBR, might as well get a can to go with it and try and reduce some of the noise.
    Form 1's are around 12-15 days right now. I don't know if they're just fast tracking to get people's names on list, or make money on stamps. I would think the ATF would want to slow roll everything NFA because they're a bunch of anti-gunners.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Form 1's are around 12-15 days right now. I don't know if they're just fast tracking to get people's names on list, or make money on stamps. I would think the ATF would want to slow roll everything NFA because they're a bunch of anti-gunners.
    They already have our names, my guess would be money.
    -Brandon

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Statistically speaking, I think the odds of being robbed by an armored assailant are probably pretty low.
    In fact, very low. Not even among the top 10 most likely ways to die.

1) heart disease
    2) cancer
    3) accident
    4) chronic respiratory disease
    5) stroke
    6) Alzheimer*s
    7) diabetes
    8) flu and pneumonia
    9) kidney disease
    10) suicide

(Franklin County)

Im not sure I was clear. I'm transitioning from a short barrel to a longer barrel to gain the velocity to defeat armor, no SBRs or pistols and no expanding bullets. I do have a 9mm pistol within arms reach but it's there if I can't get to something else.
    The Hostler

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Im not sure I was clear. I'm transitioning from a short barrel to a longer barrel to gain the velocity to defeat armor, no SBRs or pistols and no expanding bullets. I do have a 9mm pistol within arms reach but it's there if I can't get to something else.
    You were

I like the alternating round idea, but it seems like unless you plan on getting raided by a SWAT team, the chances of someone breaking in with armor is pretty low. I'd still get a can though for whatever you set up.
    -Brandon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast