Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Rethinking home defense options

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    You were

I like the alternating round idea, but it seems like unless you plan on getting raided by a SWAT team, the chances of someone breaking in with armor is pretty low. I'd still get a can though for whatever you set up.
    Let me say this, in todays environment I think the chances of law enforcement breaking my door down are about the same as anyone else breaking my door down. It's a very very low chance but worth planning for. Not worried about my hearing, I'll probably die in the exchange anyway, but I'm taking someone with me.
    If the average thug breaks in, anything that goes bang would be sufficient.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

How's 7.62x39 compare in the penetration department for such scenarios?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Interesting thread.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    How's 7.62x39 compare in the penetration department for such scenarios?
    Not well. It's the velocity that lets 556 punch through.
    It's interesting that green tip would punch through composite but it's too slow to go through AR500 plate while 55 grain 556 is going just fast enough to go through the steel but it gets hung up in the layers of composite. Several youtubers verify it so it must be true.
    The Hostler

Flashbangs are unlawful for civilian use. You could register your own explosive devices with the ATF, but that's annoying, and with a $200 stamp, basically theft.

So here's a thought. They have these airsoft bang grenades powered by co2. basically you puncture the cartridge, and the plastic housing expands until it pops, like a coke bottle of sorts. If you filled that plastic housing with, lets say pepper spray. They have refills for them. I know it would be in a liquid form pooling at the bottom, but with the introduction of the pressure, I would think that some would be aerosolized when the pressure is at max and become airborne when the container bursts, causing at least a slight irritant to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

Now lets say you sleep on the second floor, and hear a criminal breaking through your front door in the dead of night. Grab a couple cans and toss them down the stairs as you grab your ski goggles and 3m p100 mask, and grabbing you're favorite CQB weapon. You're then heading into a situation where you have the advantage. Their eyes are irritated and have a hard time seeing. You eliminate the threat, save your family, and call the police who are only minutes away when seconds count.

(Bucks County)

A laser on the nose in any caliber will defeat any body armor.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Flashbangs are unlawful for civilian use. You could register your own explosive devices with the ATF, but that's annoying, and with a $200 stamp, basically theft.

So here's a thought. They have these airsoft bang grenades powered by co2. basically you puncture the cartridge, and the plastic housing expands until it pops, like a coke bottle of sorts. If you filled that plastic housing with, lets say pepper spray. They have refills for them. I know it would be in a liquid form pooling at the bottom, but with the introduction of the pressure, I would think that some would be aerosolized when the pressure is at max and become airborne when the container bursts, causing at least a slight irritant to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

Now lets say you sleep on the second floor, and hear a criminal breaking through your front door in the dead of night. Grab a couple cans and toss them down the stairs as you grab your ski goggles and 3m p100 mask, and grabbing you're favorite CQB weapon. You're then heading into a situation where you have the advantage. Their eyes are irritated and have a hard time seeing. You eliminate the threat, save your family, and call the police who are only minutes away when seconds count.
    That's a lot of work, why not just throw a big bag of marbles down the stairs.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    A laser on the nose in any caliber will defeat any body armor.
    All the while reducing the size of your target significantly
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post

Clear out gas grenades

https://www.keepshooting.com/clear-o...s-grenade.html

(Bucks County)

Can't really go wrong with m193 or m855.
    Rest assured that m855 works. Especially at room combat distance.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast