Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Never in my life hunted, don't know any hunters, want to hunt upland bird

So I have always wanted to learn how to hunt. Some of you may have seen my Lounge post on losing my Brittany dog Buck.

One of my biggest regrets was that he never got to go hunting. He had an excellent instinct for hunting and could point and flush like nobody's business. If he had the proper training he would have been a top-tier hunting companion and I never could give that to him.

The wife and I have another Brittany puppy on the way in a month or two and I would like to train it for hunting but the issue is, I never have hunted a day in my life. I grew up in a family without any sort of firearms or etc and certainly nobody hunted so I never had the benefit of being taught by my father or even any family or family friends who hunted. Nothing. My entire firearms experience has revolved around self-defense, collecting, and history. I feel like I am missing out on a large chunk of American heritage as well as a life-skill that I could pass on to my future children that I never had the luxury of having passed down to me.

I would love to learn how to A: Learn how to hunt and B: Train my upcoming dog to hunt. Any info on where to start for someone without any experience would be much appreciated. Anyone in the Harrisburg/ Hershey/ Lancaster area who bird hunts with a dog and wouldn't mind a complete newbie learning from them would be even better.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Never in my life hunted, don't know any hunters, want to hunt upland bird

Quote Originally Posted by Totez View Post
    So I have always wanted to learn how to hunt. Some of you may have seen my Lounge post on losing my Brittany dog Buck.

One of my biggest regrets was that he never got to go hunting. He had an excellent instinct for hunting and could point and flush like nobody's business. If he had the proper training he would have been a top-tier hunting companion and I never could give that to him.

The wife and I have another Brittany puppy on the way in a month or two and I would like to train it for hunting but the issue is, I never have hunted a day in my life. I grew up in a family without any sort of firearms or etc and certainly nobody hunted so I never had the benefit of being taught by my father or even any family or family friends who hunted. Nothing. My entire firearms experience has revolved around self-defense, collecting, and history. I feel like I am missing out on a large chunk of American heritage as well as a life-skill that I could pass on to my future children that I never had the luxury of having passed down to me.

I would love to learn how to A: Learn how to hunt and B: Train my upcoming dog to hunt. Any info on where to start for someone without any experience would be much appreciated. Anyone in the Harrisburg/ Hershey/ Lancaster area who bird hunts with a dog and wouldn't mind a complete newbie learning from them would be even better.
    You'd be surprised what you can learn on YouTube.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Never in my life hunted, don't know any hunters, want to hunt upland bird

A couple of things. You need to start the dog early on gun training. Judicious use of blanks in a revolver is a fine way to train but first you need to learn how to train the dog. I started with Tarrant Trains Gun Dogs many years ago. You can get a used copy for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Tarrant-Train.../dp/0811717232

Brittany Spaniels are flushing dogs and good for hunting tight areas because of their size.

Another thing, you need either a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with choke tubes. Normally Improved Cylinder is pretty much a good place to start. Using tighter chokes on upland birds usually results in meat grinder results on the bird. 35 yards is usually the maximum you want to take the shot. Different situations do occur and that's why interchangeable choke tubes are a good idea. Bird shot, with smaller birds like doves, quail, Chukkar partridge (regulated hunting clubs) or wild grouse 7 1/2 or 8 is pretty much standard. With Pheasant you want to change up to 6 because you are going to be shooting at bigger birds at longer distances.

Pattern your shotgun with paper bird targets with the shells you're going to use and be familiar with the pattern size at different distances. This is where the interchangeable choke tubes come in. You can see what kind of pattern each load has with different chokes. The biggest thing is have patience with both yourself and the dog. Your going to miss birds, your dog is going to do things you don't want it to do. Take a deep breath and remember he's your best friend.

Oh yeah, I highly suggest using a small bell on the dog's collar so when you lose track of him in heavy cover you can hear where he is. Many people use the electronic collar for training. You decide for yourself whether that's a good idea. First read the Tarrant book and see where you are with the dog training. You don't learn how to hunt birds over night.
    Last edited by JenniferG; February 8th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Northumberland County)

For a first time, it may be worth a call to Martz's game farm, just up the river a little bit...Dalmatia area. I think they may only do group hunts (assuming you could wrangle up some friends) and I know they arent cheap, but believe they do everything for you if you want them to...supply the birds, the dog, a guide, clean the birds, etc. I know several guys who have been pleased with them.

As far as training the dog, it's a commitment and also requires the right dog. A buddy's grandpa used to rabbit hunt with beagles. I was lucky enough to tag along once, and I know they said it takes a lot of training to get them up to speed as a quality hunting dog. Years later, I now have my own beagle (for non hunting reasons) and can tell you he'd be the useless in the field. Cowers when I shoot 22s, much less anything bigger.

(Berks County)

I do not know if it is still in effect but some time back PA passed a law requiring an approved hunting or shooting course before you could get a hunting license. If it is still in effect, that would be a good place to start. Good luck, hope you are successful at it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

As mentioned, hunter ed is the place to start. There are a lot of classes scheduled right now. They can be found at the game commission website under education.

You'll need a 12 or 20 gauge and some practice. Most sportsmans clubs have public trap which is fun and a great way to practice.

Then get ready for the dove opener September 1st. My favorite season. I just take my shotgun, a box of shells, and a mesh bag for birds. Usually you're out in shorts and a t-shirt, no orange required and there's always been something to shoot at. They are good eating too.

(Lancaster County)

I have had brittanys in the past. They will figure out the locating/pointing/flushing thing faster than you do.

The important thing is to get them acclimated to gunfire before they develop a fear of loud noises. Once they get gun shy, it's tough to fix that.

(Berks County)

About an hours drive from you in Berks County is Pheasant Valley game farm. Great place for a stocked pheasant hunt and they also offer bird dog training.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post

The important thing is to get them acclimated to gunfire before they develop a fear of loud noises. Once they get gun shy, it's tough to fix that.
    Start with a .22. My Lab would sniff the cans when shot; had to wait for him to move. Took him to skeet range, but we stayed about 100yds away at 1st. Never was gun-shy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmark View Post
    About an hours drive from you in Berks County is Pheasant Valley game farm. Great place for a stocked pheasant hunt and they also offer bird dog training.
    Also just south of you (and 1/2 mile from me) is the Big R Bird Ranch off I-83 Exit 28 (Conewago Township). They do stocked bird hunts for pheasant, chukker, grouse, etc. The guys are very nice and might help out with dog training as well. Worth a call!

https://www.bigrbirdranch.com/
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast