Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Final Pa. legislative maps approved by redistricting panel, but legal challenges soon

HARRISBURG — A state panel Friday approved Pennsylvania’s new legislative district maps, which could substantially alter the balance of power in the General Assembly for the next decade but are likely to be challenged in court by Republicans unhappy with the state House plan.

The Legislative Reapportionment Commission — a five-person panel composed of the top General Assembly leaders and an independent chair — voted 4-1 to approve the maps, with Chair Mark Nordenberg joining the two Democrats and Senate Majority Leader Kim Ward, R-Hempfield.

“I believe that we have succeeded by virtually any measure,” said Nordenberg, a former University of Pittsburgh chancellor. “Even if imperfect, these are good maps that are fair, that are responsive to the requirements of the law, and that will serve the interests of the people of Pennsylvania for the next decade.”

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...lenges-likely/
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Final Pa. legislative maps approved by redistricting panel, but legal challenges

As long as Eric Holder approves.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Chester County)

Default Re: Final Pa. legislative maps approved by redistricting panel, but legal challenges

With balance so close, its an easy election cheat to give Dems total control.

Say goodbye to guns and freedom!

(Berks County)

I don't know...I can't make much of the map but I have read that both D's and R's don't like it so I'm guessing it must be balanced. I could never figure out why the districts are shaped like Cape Cod and shit but then I read that they are supposed to have equal number of people in them. I don't know if that's fake news or not but at least it's an explanation for it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Gerrymandering has been the legal way to cheat for decades.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Gerrymandering has been the legal way to cheat for decades.
    With the pot always calling the kettle black.

(Bradford County)

Quote from the article:

"The partisan shift also reflects the population changes Pennsylvania experienced over the past decade, with rural areas losing residents and urban and suburban areas in the southeast gaining them."

And therein lies the issue (from my perspective). I feel sadly and unfortunately certain that in years to come - it'll take some time yet, but it will happen - PA is going to go the way of NY, where a couple of pockets of large and left-leaning population control the entire state. There's just no way around it. Areas up here like Bradford and Tioga counties etc. are hemorrhaging people. There's just nothing here to keep the young folks as residents, and more and more properties are bought as vacation or investment property. Meanwhile, those who DO stay are more and more unemployed and end up flashing the Access cards in every store they enter: who do you think THEY are going to vote for?
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Berks County)

An electoral college within the state is in order.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't know...I can't make much of the map but I have read that both D's and R's don't like it so I'm guessing it must be balanced. I could never figure out why the districts are shaped like Cape Cod and shit but then I read that they are supposed to have equal number of people in them. I don't know if that's fake news or not but at least it's an explanation for it.
    There's a site where you can craft your own districts and see how close they are to meeting the requirements - https://davesredistricting.org/maps#state::PA

A while back, I spent an hour or two futzing around with it and IMO it's damned-near impossible. Certainly-so without funky 'cape cod' shape districts.

I'm not excusing the partisan gerrymandered things that were submitted. Just sayin' it ain't so easy to draw up 'fair and balanced' districts as things sit.

Perhaps the real issue is the requirements like all districts be within <0.5% of same population etc. that are really the issue.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

This is not good guys. The PA Supreme Court is keeping the new district maps. We are screwed as it*s that bad. Senate might hold but the house is likely to flip D. Screw this*the cheating left keeps cheating.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast