Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Training with co2 pistol??

A good GBB (propane powered typically) airsoft gun might be another option, and it might give options for force on force training.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Capitulation is a bad look on you.

Good luck. They'll go Joe Rogan on you.
    Your an undesirable. You think this will stop them coming for you? Lol

They have you pegged and likely won't stop till one of you leaves, and will use the HOA to flex their 'feelings'.
    Your giving them an inch, and they will try to take your home.
    Hmmmm??? Now what kind of advice is that about the noise of co2 pistols? Is that really good advice??? Create unnecessary hassles for which there will be far more downside than upside. In fact, that advice sounds a lot like ..."Hey, I am bored so, Let's you and him fight"

Actually, I read this board in hopes of finding intelligent conversation and recommendations among a "brotherhood" of shooters and law-abiding gun owners. Advice which recommends action that bring more unfavorable attention to gun owners and shooters does not advance the cause of responsible gun owners.

Your reference to Joe Rogan means nothing to me unless he is a member on this board, if so, perhaps he could speak for himself? Overall, sigh ... just not very helpful or meaningful.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick417 View Post
    Hmmmm??? Now what kind of advice is that about the noise of co2 pistols? Is that really good advice??? Create unnecessary hassles for which there will be far more downside than upside. In fact, that advice sounds a lot like ..."Hey, I am bored so, Let's you and him fight"

Actually, I read this board in hopes of finding intelligent conversation and recommendations among a "brotherhood" of shooters and law-abiding gun owners. Advice which recommends action that bring more unfavorable attention to gun owners and shooters does not advance the cause of responsible gun owners.

Your reference to Joe Rogan means nothing to me unless he is a member on this board, if so, perhaps he could speak for himself? Overall, sigh ... just not very helpful or meaningful.
    Your note here treads awfully close to you trying to define what's okay to say. That's not your job: We have rules about that, and mods to enforce it. If you feel strongly that something is 'dangerous misinformation' then contact the mods.

IMO you asked for advice and got a wide variety of responses. To me that is a key strength of this forum. Feel free to ignore advice you don't like.
    DGAF

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Your note here treads awfully close to you trying to define what's okay to say. That's not your job: We have rules about that, and mods to enforce it. If you feel strongly that something is 'dangerous misinformation' then contact the mods.

IMO you asked for advice and got a wide variety of responses. To me that is a key strength of this forum. Feel free to ignore advice you don't like.
    And that sounds to me like good advice.

(York County)

Did I know what I was getting into? Hmmm??? Does anyone always know what the future foretells? Hmmm?? I dunno.
    I think the point is not 'predicting the future' but that you knew you were moving into an HOA community and (by law) were provided a copy of their bylaws/rules/regulations before purchasing the house.

So IF your neighbor has a valid complaint that you're violating HOA rules, then yes you did know that could happen.

Now whether he has a valid complaint depends on the HOA regs. Does it say "no shooting?" Does it say "quiet enjoyment?" You should really take a hard look at what does he claim you're violating.

I'd say your response depends heavily on the answer to that. If you -are- in violation, that's very different than if you're clearly not, which is very different than "kinda, sorta, maybe"...

That said, CO2 pistols are great fun, but IME not a substitute for practice with the real thing. Even the most-similar thing you can find is not going to have the same 'kick' or feel as the real thing, and probably not the same trigger-feel, etc. Fun, and 'better than nothing', but not a pure substitute.

FTR, I think the best advice you got here was to engage with him - maybe get him into shooting. Maybe even start with CO2 and 'work him up' to more. There IS a benefit to cordial neighbor relations if you can have them without turning tail on your rights.
    DGAF

(Jefferson County)

That said, CO2 pistols are great fun, but IME not a substitute for practice with the real thing. Even the most-similar thing you can find is not going to have the same 'kick' or feel as the real thing, and probably not the same trigger-feel, etc. Fun, and 'better than nothing', but not a pure substitute.

All understood. If you have some recent experience with co2 pistols, can you tell me if these is s great difference between the co2 discharge sound and that of a .22 LR?

(York County)

All understood. If you have some recent experience with co2 pistols, can you tell me if these is s great difference between the co2 discharge sound and that of a .22 LR?
    You know, short of having a decibel meter (which I don't) and measuring, it really comes down to perception. I mean that almost literally... at my age, my 'high frequency' hearing isn't what it used to be... so a 'crack' (like IMO a .22 or a CO2) is much quieter than a 'boom' (i.e. larger caliber).

My perception is... yes, CO2 is distinctly quieter. Best way I can put it, having shot both, is a CO2 is similar in sound to a suppressed .22.

But the real issue is whether it's 'quiet' not 'quieter' That's in the ear of the beholder.

My fear is your neighbor isn't REALLY so much objecting to the noise as that you're an evil wicked gun-owner... and those who have said 'appeasing' him won't work would be correct if that's the case.
    DGAF

(Jefferson County)

You know, short of having a decibel meter (which I don't) and measuring, it really comes down to perception. I mean that almost literally... at my age, my 'high frequency' hearing isn't what it used to be... so a 'crack' (like IMO a .22 or a CO2) is much quieter than a 'boom' (i.e. larger caliber).

My perception is... yes, CO2 is distinctly quieter. Best way I can put it, having shot both, is a CO2 is similar in sound to a suppressed .22.

But the real issue is whether it's 'quiet' not 'quieter' That's in the ear of the beholder.

My fear is your neighbor isn't REALLY so much objecting to the noise as that you're an evil wicked gun-owner... and those who have said 'appeasing' him won't work would be correct if that's the case.

OK. Thank you. That was the original question or the information that I hoped to receive. To my benefit I also received recommendations as to pistols to look into. Some times ya get a wealth of curious information. Some beneficial and some ...

(York County)

OK. Thank you. That was the original question or the information that I hoped to receive. To my benefit I also received recommendations as to pistols to look into. Some times ya get a wealth of curious information. Some beneficial and some ...
    Hey look. If you ask for donations you keep the dollars and maybe don't bother picking up the pennies.

But, perhaps being pedantic, the original question you asked was about "Training" with CO2.

I'll stick with my fundamental response: "Training" with CO2 will not fully replicate doing so with real loads.
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

There are dB meter apps available for smartphones...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast