Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default MAC 10 with Bower Suppressor Purchase

Well apparently not all transfers are created equal and this is my such luck. Next time maybe a bit more research before jumping in* Anyway*

I purchased a Mac 10 full auto w Bowers Suppressor in March of 2021. It was on a form 4 in Florida. The man selling it is an attorney/FFL/GunShopOwner in Florida. I thought it was a simple transfer from him to me. Not the case. Apparently it must go from the owner in Florida, which turned out wasn*t him he had the Mac 10 in his shop on consignment i believe* So basically 3 ATF transfers from what I understand? He said the ATF said it must be done this way. From original owner to his FFl in Florida(first transfer)* then from his FFL to my FFL(second transfer), then from my FFL to me on a form 4* The first transfer check was cashed on May 20th 2021 so that was about 8 months ago. He and my local FFL did exchange information for the shipping up eventually. Does all this sound legitimate? I checked the seller out he seems legit being with Florida bar association and having a gun shop and whatnot? Just looking to see what every one else thinks*
    Last edited by MrRuffGunz; February 4th, 2022 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Errors in info

(Columbia County)

Default Re: MAC 10 with Bower Suppressor Purchase

I don't think the FFL even if class 3/SOT could sell a subgun on consignment. Or at least the gun could not have been left at the shop. Can't say if it's legit but the transfer between the owner and the Florida FFL will take some time and will require a $200 fee. You might want to discuss who's paying that.

(Schuylkill County)

I can’t remember if he said consignment or estate sale. This was a surprise to me and he did give me the option to back out with a full refund but i went ahead with it anyway. According to online reviews he is a decent lawyer so what the hell, i wen for it… Either way after a few days back and fourth with the ATF he claims to have it squared away. He submitted the first form 4 back in April of 2021* Pending since 5/20/2021* checked Jan 15 2022 still pending*. He covered the two transfer fees already(one for MG one for suppressor) I don*t know about the fees for FFL to FFL* I*m responsible for the next $400 when it finally makes its way to PA

(Lackawanna County)

He should not have to do a transfer to him imo. Only to your dealer where you do the form 3. He’s making sure he gets his money which should be between him and the real seller

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    He should not have to do a transfer to him imo. Only to your dealer where you do the form 3. He*s making sure he gets his money which should be between him and the real seller
    I*d love to know what he and the ATF spoke about and what the real issue was? And you said form 3 don*t you mean a form
    4? From dealer to me is a form 4 just like a suppressor no?

(Washington County)

If he is the right kind of FFL he can certainly sell the machine gun on consignment.

The current owner shouldn't be transferring the gun to the FFL in FL.

It should be going right from the current owner to your local FFL who is appropriately licensed. Then from the FFL to you. Two transfers and done.

Congrats on the purchase!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    If he is the right kind of FFL he can certainly sell the machine gun on consignment.

The current owner shouldn't be transferring the gun to the FFL in FL.

It should be going right from the current owner to your local FFL who is appropriately licensed. Then from the FFL to you. Two transfers and done.

Congrats on the purchase!
    Are you sure about that? I suppose an FFL can advertise class three firearms firearms owned by another that the owner is trying to sell, but can they take possession and display them in their shop with the tax stamp still in the owners name like they do with a title one firearm on consignment ?

(Centre County)

The FL lawyer/FFL-SOT could have brokered the deal (found a buyer) and once you paid for the gun made his money. He would maybe then help the owner do the Form 4 from him (the owner), making a little more money, to your FFL/SOT in PA (that's the first transfer) and ship it to the PA FFL/SOT for the owner (more money made) when it came back approved. Then your FFL/SOT Form 4s it to you from him (second transfer).

Also, it could have been transferred: Owner to FL FFL/SOT - Form 4 to FL FFL/SOT, he now owns it and has paid the original owner. FL FFL/SOT finds a buyer (you) and Form 3s it to your FFL/SOT (tax free transfer) when you pay the FL FFL/SOT the agreed upon price. Your FFL/SOT then Form 4s it to you.

The FL lawyer/FFL/SOT made it too complicated
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

What are the practical options these days for a non-SOT to ship NFA firearms to an out-of-state SOT?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

My mac was a double transfer. The seller paid the first transfer. I sold it to a forum member (pa resident).
    Once he got his stamp, I met him on the blue rt and gave it to him. Stupid laws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast