Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Paint

Default AR15 Paint

I want to paint a lower in desert tan, not shiny. Can someone recommend a good paint,
    that will work. Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: AR15 Paint

Are you looking for rattle-can or something more permanent. If more permanent, go with Cerakote - prep work is more intensive but personally I don't think you can beat it for wearability. You can mix it to go from matte to satin to semi gloss.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Are you looking for rattle-can or something more permanent. If more permanent, go with Cerakote - prep work is more intensive but personally I don't think you can beat it for wearability. You can mix it to go from matte to satin to semi gloss.
    Thanks. I'm going to watch some videos on it.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I want to paint a lower in desert tan, not shiny. Can someone recommend a good paint,
    that will work. Thanks.
    I have used DuraCoat on a couple occasions, I would highly recommend. https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/default.asp
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

(Bucks County)

I*m a fan of rattlecan*. (They have most flat camo colors at Walmart), it will get scratched and dinged up*. I also use a non glossy clear coat over the flat*. Seems to give it better scratch resistances. However I kinda think dings and scratches makes the camo more effective*. The whole idea is to break up the outline of the rifle, it won*t make it invisible* just harder to recognize as a rife. But if you want it to be pretty and not scratch prone*. Then cerakote is the way to go*
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    I*m a fan of rattlecan*. (They have most flat camo colors at Walmart), it will get scratched and dinged up*. I also use a non glossy clear coat over the flat*. Seems to give it better scratch resistances. However I kinda think dings and scratches makes the camo more effective*. The whole idea is to break up the outline of the rifle, it won*t make it invisible* just harder to recognize as a rife. But if you want it to be pretty and not scratch prone*. Then cerakote is the way to go*
    I dont want it to be pretty. This is why I made this thread, to get a idea of what is out there and what to do.
    I never thought about "spray paint" always thought it wasn't right, but ends up being exactly what I want.
    Thats all I want, a cheap color change that will wear out over time. Its a ar15, not a krieghoff
    Thanks for the input.

Walmart camo paint works just fine. Put down black first and then if the tan wears through, it will still have a matte finish.

Here is what I do. paint your base color. Then tear painters tape to make patterns. Apply paint and add the next color. Then add more tape and the next color. Rinse and repeat as needed. After its dry peel all the tape off to reveal the camo pattern. Then I take my bare hands and buff the paint to smooth the lines out. If you want to get fancy pick up a mesh laundry bags and spray one last coat over the rest. You can make some neat patterns.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Aervoe brand spray paints are very durable and don't require "baking" or anything special at all.
    It's just a spray paint - that's better than spray paint.

I'm glad I got some before. Brownells doesn't appear to carry it any more.

EDIT: I'm thinking Aervoe has discontinued their entire line of military color paints. That SUCKS.
    I'm only finding a few places that still sell it. Probably once it's gone, it's gone.
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 3rd, 2022 at 02:47 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Aervoe brand spray paints are very durable and don't require "baking" or anything special at all.

EDIT: I'm thinking Aervoe has discontinued their entire line of military color paints. That SUCKS.
    I'm only finding a few places that still sell it. Probably once it's gone, it's gone.
    That does suck. I have used their paints on mower decks and Jeep wheels. I even used their epoxy based paint to roller paint a Jeep Wrangler olive drab. It turned awesome and survived many trail rides. Now to scour the internet to buy any remaining product. Grrrrr
    (edit) they must have lost their military contracts. Possibly another company is making these products now.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

They stopped making the military paints over a year ago. Anything available is just leftover stock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast