Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Paint

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR15 Paint

I used Krylon flat olive drab on my AR pistol after cleaning it with acetone. A couple light sprays, drying 30 min in between. Then I baked it in an oven 200 degrees for 2 hours, let it rest until I could touch it. Pretty durable through I*ve not really tested it. I figure if hat doesn*t last I can buy some ceramics. So far it*s perfect in over 6 months.

(Delaware County)

A friend's kid used hydro-dip to apply a red, white & blue patriotic motif to his AR. It looks pretty cool. He's got multiple ARs so he could afford to be a little acentric with one of them. Wouldn't recommend if one's only black rifle. Also installed a binary trigger on that one. Pretty cool, too.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Chester County)

Rattle can, any colors. Practice on magazines to get your camo pattern down.
    Hoplophobia is funny

And to think, I just sprayed all my receivers with pb blaster. Some times I wonder.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I want to paint a lower in desert tan, not shiny. Can someone recommend a good paint,
    that will work. Thanks.
    PA is not the desert..... I have used Krylon camo paint on mags with no problems..

(Bucks County)

I used Brownells Alumihyde (spelling?) on a couple Ar lowers and it worked pretty well. Baked it in the over, following the directions.

A friend lent me some Molyresin, and I didn't have much luck with that coming out well.

(Bucks County)

Check Communist YouTube (until Rumble gets better!) for many different painting techniques….. I have had good results using plastic plants from a hobby store, and I really like the various mesh cloth, like gardening cloth….. works great to break out the outlines as well! As others have said go from dark to light…. And use light coats!

Good luck!
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Walmart camo paint works just fine. Put down black first and then if the tan wears through, it will still have a matte finish.

Here is what I do. paint your base color. Then tear painters tape to make patterns. Apply paint and add the next color. Then add more tape and the next color. Rinse and repeat as needed. After its dry peel all the tape off to reveal the camo pattern. Then I take my bare hands and buff the paint to smooth the lines out. If you want to get fancy pick up a mesh laundry bags and spray one last coat over the rest. You can make some neat patterns.
    I've been doing that with the tape.. lol.. . Because I couldn't find any old mesh shirts. Apparently my wife has a "thong washing bag"... whatever the F that is.. but I was nearly summarily-executed for walking out into the garage with it and a the spray cans. haha close one.

So, guys.. So I searched and thought maybe this is the best to ask.

I've started messing around rattle-canning some gear and have been having pretty good luck with the BROWNELLS ALUMA-HYDE® II product. After learning that some colours don't turn out exactly as planned, I've had pretty good luck with clean/prepped plastic.

Any of you have any pointers or used it to paint mags? I've found a ton of videos... but am concerned that even the lightest coats I've been successful with would get "shaved off" if used for action shoots and end up possibly gunking-up the interior of mag wells and risk malfunctions. Anyone have that happen?

tia
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

Brian is a member on here.

https://www.eastonfirearmsrefinishing.com

(York County)

If you don't have acetone, you can use regular rubbing alcohol to clean prior to painting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast