Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default IMI Galil - Israel's Rugged Rifle

I picked up a Galil SAR 5.56 parts kit from RTG Parts back in late 2020. I'm a sucker for any foreign 5.56 rifle, and a Galil would fill the hole in my collection where something that is kind of like a 5.56 AK would fit in. I wish it used STANAG magazines, but finding decent Galil mags is pretty easy.

These kits being offered were rumored to be great candidates for a re-weld due to thin cuts in favorable areas of the receiver. Some kits have no receiver pieces. I believe this is done because the importer favors caution, and doesn't want the liability of someone re-welding the original receiver. Other kits have torch cuts through the locking lugs of the front trunnion, a very critical area. Some folks have successfully re-welded those receivers, but there is a lot of work in repairing the locking lugs and getting the receiver back to a proper heat treat condition (these receivers are originally billet 4140 heat treated for hardness). And of course there are torch cut receivers with gaps as large as 3/8" making the re-weld much more difficult. The kits sold by RTG at that time had the front cut in the mag well behind the trunnion area and the cuts are thin. As good as it gets.

Here's what showed up in the box:

Note that the barrel is cut and unusable per current import requirements. The only issue with this kit is that the front flip up night sight was missing. Replacement parts (front sight piece and spring) were found at Apex.

Better pictures of the receiver cuts after some clean up:

I considered buying a jig to aid in the re-weld but after doing some research into other builder's experiences I decided to go without. The receiver material and thickness makes it more stable and less susceptible to warping/shrinkage than say a plain carbon steel thin receiver. Also, you can use parts to set the weld gaps and check lengths, rather than using a jig or measuring features.

Due to the material I had to step up from my normal ER70 filler wire to an ER80 series wire.

Step one was welding up the axis pin holes that locate the auto sear trip lever. Easily done with a copper backer.

Step two was repairing the magazine well cut. I used a magazine to set the length and then carefully stitched it together, moving side to side, welding evenly, and taking breaks to let the receiver cool down. Welding the gap in the internal rails is tricky, and cleaning up those rails in there with small files and burr bits is tedious. Also, I machined some copper bar stock to fit in the receiver, so any time I'm welding I have those inside the receiver to suck up heat and provide a back stop for the weld. Then I remove those and do a little touch up on the walls of the inside to make sure they're joined.

Some of the original markings are surviving this torture.

Once the bolt moved freely and I was satisfied with the alignment I started lining up the next section. I used an assumption of the torch cut width and the trigger guard for length spacing.

In this picture I had gone back to the first weld and dressed up a few areas I wasn't happy with. Also I welded up the internal gap in the right rail where the auto sear would contact the bolt, as another semi auto modification.

I cleaned up those welds, filed the internal rails, and made sure the bolt passes the "tilt test" and moves freely.

This is where I stop for now. I filed the form 1 yesterday, as this will be a 13.1" barrel SBR build, just as the SAR was designed.

The next step would attach the section with the stock, and I don't want to do that without my approved form 1, even though there is no barrel installed. Better safe than sorry.

I wanted to do some of the receiver repair before filing the Form 1, just so I'm confident I'm not wasting $200 on a project I can't do.

I have a Tapco AK trigger and hammer and other new parts for 922r compliance. To make the Tapco AK trigger and hammer work in the Galil I had to purchase a standard AK hammer/trigger spring and a Saiga axis pin retainer spring.

Stay tuned for an update, hopefully in some number of weeks and not months!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Default Re: IMI Galil - Israel's Rugged Rifle

I knew a guy that bought three scorpian kits from broker. They arrived band saw cut in two spots.
    The atf shows up at his work asking where the kits are, he said he sold them. They left.
    Its a shame what they make the exporters do to these rifles before they can be sold. Dicks.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I knew a guy that bought three scorpian kits from broker. They arrived band saw cut in two spots.
    The atf shows up at his work asking where the kits are, he said he sold them. They left.
    Its a shame what they make the exporters do to these rifles before they can be sold. Dicks.
    I agree that it's a shame, but if this is the only way I can get to buy and build some cool foreign guns, then so be it. I certainly wish it wasn't so. Most guys just buy a new US made receiver and go right to assembling their kit.

The ATF has this handy little guide on how to properly destroy a firearm. Kits with more favorable cuts were probably imported/destroyed before these requirements were specified as they are currently.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-pro...stroy-firearms

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

I could have had kits out the ass for practically nothing, compared to the prices today.
    Never thought they would catch on. Well, thats another f-up. Bowman arms always has kits.
    Pricey though, and not as desirable as others.

(Washington County)

The best price on a part kit is always yesterday. They*re an investment just like guns.

I don*t really think kit building that involves welding and machining is more popular than it used to be. There are just less surplus guns out there in the world to turn into kits and import. It seems Bowman is really hunting, and thats probably why he turns up odd kits. I enjoy his weekly videos. There is an increased demand for kits from the new 3D printing community. Their new designs and lower barriers to entry are having an impact on kit availability and pricing.

(Tioga County)

Yep a lot of good stuff these days simply gets destroyed.

The Galil SAR kit will be interesting to see done. I have a bunch of Galil magazines but no Galil. I don't think I'm at the level to build one yet so will probably buy one of the Classic Firearms Gallant.

(Washington County)

Hillbilly firearms does the best builds if you're shopping for one. I don't know what his current backlog is but everyone raves about his quality. I actually called him today to ask what size I will need to make the gas port. He ended up telling me some other info about how the bolts were matched to the receiver in regards to headspacing. Very knowledge guy.

(Allegheny County)

Rebuild looks great so far! I have a box of parts waiting for Jeff to give me the go ahead to send to him. Been in his queue for 3 months so far. But from our discussions over the phone and what I've read, it will be worth the wait.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Hillbilly firearms does the best builds if you're shopping for one. I don't know what his current backlog is but everyone raves about his quality. I actually called him today to ask what size I will need to make the gas port. He ended up telling me some other info about how the bolts were matched to the receiver in regards to headspacing. Very knowledge guy.
    Oh yeah I have known about him for a long time. He's definitely the guy to go to. I will probably just get the Gallant because it's easy to do, but certainly would not rule out having him build me one.

These are probably the glory years for any sort of Galil builds. Israel has totally cleaned out there arsenals of all the old 20th century stuff and once these kits are gone they are gone. Sure maybe someday Columbia's or South Africa's stuff could end up on the market but no guarantee of that.

(Washington County)

Trust eform 1 approved after 86 days, finally!

Finished welding the receiver. Saved a lot of the original markings.

CDS Arms laser engraved my trust info on it, very small on the bottom of the receiver.

Hopefully I can finish it soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast