Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Anyone use RMR reloading bullets - .357 or 9mm ?

I've been using my own cast bullets for .357 for years. Very happy with results. For reasons beyond my control, I'm quite short at the time. Not set up to cast inside and find May to be the best earliest month to *start.

It's been a rough year (for all of us) and I'm itching to get some trigger time. For specific reasons, I'd like to load some jacketed as opposed to cast. Not plated either, a friend uses them, not impressed. I'm sure millions are used with great results by some folks.

One other time long ago I ordered some cast bullets when I was short and no time to cast. Frankly, the bullets were no better than mine and I was not overly amazed with the performance. So.... a little skittish about ordering online again.

If I had my druthers, I'd be using Hornady, but I live in a world where needs come before wants.

I'm lookin at their 124 grainer in the .357 cal.

Also, I plan on starting to load 9mm this year. Their 9mm selections get good reviews but hey, it is the internet. One man's minute of paper plate is perfection, another man's trash.

I appreciate any feedback.

fritz
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

Default Re: Anyone use RMR reloading bullets - .357 or 9mm ?

I have used them in 9MM, good quality components.
    They are good to go.

(Clarion County)

Never used their pistol bullets, but have ordered rifle bullets from them for plinking.
    No problems, as Driswalds says good to go.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

I’ve loaded thousands of RMR and Xtreme plated bullets in 9mm and .357. Whichever is on sale for the most part. I also really like the xtreme .223 bullets, which are cheap yet shoot moa for me. I believe The High Road forum has a discount code for one or the other.

I've used RMRs for years also. For cheap plinking rounds, you should also check out American Reloading. They DeMil a lot of ammo and most of the time their pulled bullets work just find for punching paper or ringing steel.. As my body ages and my accuracy degrades, I find even the pulled bullets are out performing my skillz..
    SigGendered

(Cumberland County)

Thanks fellas,

I've have been looking at the RMR site for quite some time. Never saw - unless I just missed it - that they made .357s. I get the impression that their .357 line is in it's early days - doing the "smiley face" and "tears" style bullets. That stuff really don't thrill me. I'm looking for good bullets at a good price. I don't need cute novelty stuff. Anyway that is why I asked.

I'm brand loyal to Hornady for their .224 because I still have a ton of 55grnrs and 62grnrs @ 12cents a pop. And they perform excellent in my 5.56s. Just can't shoot as much as I'd like at 30cents a pop for their pistol line.

Yo Mike,

I checked out American Reloading. I never followed the surplus lines but I was impressed . Decent prices on their 8 and 10lbrs. Wish I had the time to shoot as much as I used to.

Franski,

Using the RMR .357? Care to elaborate. Firearm? Bullet weight. Recipe. Results.

Thanks again fellas,

Probably going order some 9mm and .357. Got to get some trigger time to decompress. WHAT AN EFFIN YEAR ! Looking forward to a warm enough day to cast some up.

fritz

(Bucks County)

I went back to my reloading stats spreadsheet, and saw I’d loaded a bunch of RMR FMJ for the 9mm Ruger PC carbine at near max Power Pistol loads. Very accurate at 50 yards, equivalent to the Hornady XTPs.

As for the .357, all my data is with Xtreme or XTPs. I load for 5” S&W 686 and a Henry lever. I keep the plated bullets at lower velocities than the jacketed. But, I’ve had good loads with HP-38, AA5, SR4756, and Unique. I just use load data from the online manuals as a guide, and there’s good accuracy over a wide range of powder loads at 9 to 10 yards. At 25 yards with a revolver, Ive found that a mid range to high end powder charge stabilizes the bullet much better than low end loads. It’s often a puzzle, since some plated bullet loads that are crap for pistol at 25 yards will group very well at 50 yards in the rifle. Barrel length, velocity etc.

(Cumberland County)

Ok, one last kick at a dead horse.

Franski, yeah, those XTPs are an excellent bullet. Like I said, "if I had my druthers."

10 yrs or so ago a shootin buddy (just died last Aug and I miss him dearly) sold his .357. He gave me what he had left of a box. I loaded them up - on the warm side. 25 yds off a bag I shot some of the best groups I've ever shot. The consistency was amazing. 4"GP 100.

So... I don't expect the same from a generic 12cent bulk bullet. Just wondering what ya"ll have found to be good.

Thank you all again for the input.

fritz

(Beaver County)

Support your PA bullet caster and long time forum member.

ME. LOL.

Seriously, if you want to use jacketed I don't mind.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Tioga County)

I pretty much load FMJ bullets. I wait for sales and deals and then pounce and buy in bulk.

The Speer TMJ plated bullets seem good. Wasn't really impressed with another well known manufacturer, at least yet, in regards to plated bullets.

The RMR bullets look pretty good, so I might buy some as I just started a mega sized 9mm reloading project on my Youtube channel, which will involve 4-6 different loads over the next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast