Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Components Scams

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    The funny thing is, all that supposed training, and the extra 20bucks, it all comes in the mail
    like a regular package. It gets thrown around the ups truck just like everything else.
    Its all about the money IMO. What will be next on the list?
    Everything is about money but HAZ-MATS do entail a little more work and nothing is free these days. There is training, CDL license because of the HAZ-MAT plus the occasional spill that needs extra attention.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Everything is about money but HAZ-MATS do entail a little more work and nothing is free these days. There is training, CDL license because of the HAZ-MAT plus the occasional spill that needs extra attention.
    I got 40lbs of powder in boxes, no packing, no nothing. Same with bullets and primers.
    The cdl training should be, if you dump a load, run like hell and call 911.
    I have a 25 gallon gas tank strapped to the bottom of my truck. Thats next on the list.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    Two things:
    1. If a "supplier" won't take a major credit card, I walk! If they even mention Zelle/family & friends, that is a huge flag!!!
    2. For classified adds like the ones on our dear site and those like Rennug/Pennswood, I see a lot of "powder" and "primers" being offered and the offeror is stating they can ship the materials to you. First: both smokeless powder and primers are hazmat per DOT. (and ICAO/IMDG and by international maritime rules and regs). There is no shipping exemptions for small quantities of powder and primers. The shipper must be trained and they must be registered with the carrier and had shown proof of training to use their services for deliveries of hazardous materials. They need to use "spec" boxes and use the proper DOT label, orientation and inner packaging to ship to a customer. Period. Very few folks have this training and shipping as a Mom and Pop store or as a person selling for extra cash from home makes the costs of doing so very prohibitive. They may be throwing these materials in a plain jane box and shipping without declaring the presence of a hazmat contained. (this is also really really bad)!!! So if using a classified add to buy primers and or powder, if it isn't face to face to do the transaction, don't waste your time and money on a possible scammer.
    Exactly , I only buy from older established retailers . Why would anyone think a "newer " supplier could get inventory when the older retailers cant .

The funny thing is, all that supposed training, and the extra 20bucks, it all comes in the mail
    like a regular package. It gets thrown around the ups truck just
    like everything else.
    Its all about the money IMO. What will be next on the list?
    Here are just a few things about why hazmat laws are NOT all about the money.
    1. Primers and powder in the same box are incompatible. (and some major suppliers still do it).
    2. The markings and spec packaging with spec inner packaging and cushioning is meant to absorb "the rigors of transportation". They also let EVERYONE know the contents so they don't ship it on a long holiday weekend in the middle of summer where it could get way too hot in a closed up trailer.
    3. Shipping Toxics or Inhalation hazards in the SAME truck or trailer as your Omaha Steak order or foodstuffs is ALSO against FDA laws. Those markings tell the logistics people what can go on a truck and what can't. (Because people were poisoned by toxics that were present in the same shipping trailer/container as food).
    4. Aerosol cans are regulated because they simply can explode in transit. Hot trailers sitting on tarmacs and depot lots for days in the sun. Also in an aircraft, once that plane gets to a certain altitude, the barometric pressure exerted against that can is almost non-existent and the can will burst. Not a real good outcome for the passengers and crew at 20,000 feet).
    5. Certain flammable solids are not allowed to transport through tunnels. (Got to mark the box so they know). In an accident, an unclassified package or shipment can shutdown major highways for months.
    6. Speaking of accidents, first responders MUST know what is on a truck in the event of an accident or fire. That is conveyed by the Hazardous Materials paperwork the driver, (who must have their hazmat endorsement training), must have in his cab and ready to take with him in an accident. If the package isn't marked, it also has no paperwork and therefore, no first responders know what the hell is in that truck or trailer. (Think volunteer fire departments and EMT's and police to name a few).
    7. If an accident occurs and the lawyers descend, all involved "could" face defending themselves in court. That includes the carrier, the driver, the loaders, the seller and the buyer. (Ignorance is not an excuse in a court of law).
    There are many more reasons for classifying and shipping hazmat by the letter of the law. It saves hundreds of lives a year and prevents millions of dollars in property damages.
    OK......soap box is put away!!! Sorry for the rant!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Bucks County)

Maybe I'm just stoopid, but I'm still not convinced as to the hazard presented by a few boxes of cartridges such as 9mm rounds. I think/feel/believe if the government is involved in the rule-making, overkill presents.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Wayne County)

Hazmats are for the DOT and emergency responders, that*s why you see placarded load signs on trucks. Certain hazmats can not be next to each other in cargo hole or truck. Bill of ladens are specially marked and must be on top. Hazmats are to be secured in proper way. So there*s more to just throwing hazmats into a truck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12