Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Python doing what Pythons do.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Is that you shooting? If so, what kind of loads?
    Yes it’s me. I’m shooting 158gr PPU HPs out of the Black and Tan box marked Defense Line. They are definitely on the hit side. I don’t put many of them through the Python but I’m also not going to limit its use to 38s.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=bripro;4573216]I respectfully disagree.
    From I can tell the side plate hasn*t been taken off since it was put on 1969 unless your so-called backyard gunsmith took extreme caution with the screws before jacking up the internals.

I invite you to take a video of yourself shooting one of your own revolvers, then you would be able to pause it right as the cartridge goes off. I bet it will look very similar to the photo here. I*m trying to figure out what about the photo makes you possibly think it needs headspace checked anyway. Im sure you know that revolver headspace is measured at the rear of the cylinder to the breach face. Did you mean you feel it has too much cylinder gap? If so what I suggest about the video might suggest otherwise.

I appreciate the internet diagnosis though and will also skip wondering if you were trying to insinuate it may have been butchered by yours truly. I will rather focus on the fact and probability that you were just offering advice to a fellow forum member and thank you for your suggestion.[/QUOTE
    I wasn’t insinuating anything. I stated an opinion. I had a Python in the 80’s and it was nowhere close to that bad, even after 2-3000 rounds through it. Maybe headspacing was the wrong terminology. Oops.

I’ll stand with the opinion that gun has too much play between cylinder and barrel.

(Allegheny County)

(Lancaster County)

[QUOTE=Manxdriver;4573309]
    Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I wasn*t insinuating anything. I stated an opinion. I had a Python in the 80*s and it was nowhere close to that bad, even after 2-3000 rounds through it. Maybe headspacing was the wrong terminology. Oops.

I*ll stand with the opinion that gun has too much play between cylinder and barrel.
    I understand and your opinion is indeed valuable to me. I nonetheless still invite you to film yourself or a friend shooting revolvers that you are 100 percent certain have correct cylinder gap. If you use hot loads I think you*ll see the same thing. What still confuses me though is how or why do you feel it may be out of timing based on the photo? My hunch is yours was so mine must be too.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=bripro;4573389]
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post

I understand and your opinion is indeed valuable to me. I nonetheless still invite you to film yourself or a friend shooting revolvers that you are 100 percent certain have correct cylinder gap. If you use hot loads I think you*ll see the same thing. What still confuses me though is how or why do you feel it may be out of timing based on the photo? My hunch is yours was so mine must be too.
    Cylinder to barrel gap too large will give you that blast. So will a cylinder out of time as the path for the bullet AND the burning gasses behind it will not be going straight into barrel and can leak out one side.
    Granted I never filmed one being fired, it was the 80*s and I was a first term Airman making $700/month. No fancy camera on those wages.

(Bucks County)

Check it for fore-aft axial cylinder movement. Movement needs to be zero. One thousandth of an inch will keep growing. Even with zero play, the gap should be about .004"-.006". Those revolvers do wear out from that high-power cartridge. "Timing" as a matter of proper alignment of chamber to bore can be determined by a range rod.

I've seen photos of a 686 in .357 that look close to the same. There may be nothing wrong with the gun.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

I respect the knowledge and opinions of our many fellow forum members and as such decided to get the feeler gauge out just to make sure everything is in spec.
    While pushing the cylinder forcibly to the rear I was able to slip the .007* shim in smoothly. The .008 immediately met resistance although I feel I could have forced in between the cylinder and forcing cone.
    The hardest part seems to be getting a definitive answer as to what Colt considers in spec. Most information seems to state .003*minimum, when pushing the cylinder forward, and .008* max when pushing it rearward.
    One reputable source lists it as a .012* max.
    I*m glad to be within spec, although admittedly at the higher end of them. I*m also glad a random photo or two that I decided to post gave me the motivation to check it.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northampton County)

Sounds like this needs a 3rd party inspector.........go ahead and send it over my way, i'd be happy to put some rounds through that, you know for testing purposes! Beautiful gun!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12