Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default AR-10 for target shooting

I am considering get a 308 cal for target shooting at 300 yards+ and am looking at the Springfield M1A as I tend to like military type rifles. I saw a Rock River in 308cal on line and I was wondering how the newer A10's are in terms of accuracy. Looking at responses to posts from several years ago most people did not seem impressed with A-10 in general and would like to find out if recent models have improved.

Thanks for any comments.

Default Re: AR-10 for target shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I am considering get a 308 cal for target shooting at 300 yards+ and am looking at the Springfield M1A as I tend to like military type rifles. I saw a Rock River in 308cal on line and I was wondering how the newer A10's are in terms of accuracy. Looking at responses to posts from several years ago most people did not seem impressed with A-10 in general and would like to find out if recent models have improved.

Thanks for any comments.
    The Fulton Armory 7.62/.308 Titan UPR will do 1/2 MOA or better all day long with Hornady TAP. That's what the buff books are finding:

The US Army has even bought some :

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

I remember the first and older AR-10's left a little to be desired in terms of accuracy, even if they were still reliable and tough. I haven't heard much about the RRA .308 AR's, but I've hard ALOT about the DPMS .308 AR's. Most people that I have seen with them have them shooting around .5 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards, with good handloads. I've seen quite a few .3 moa 3 shot groups pop up. Either way, that'll definately do you beyond 300 yards any day. It's been kind of a toss up between barrel length, some of the guys are on sniper's hide, and don't feel like you can get to 1,000 yards with a 20" barrel on a gas gun; so most of them prefer the 24" on these rifles. If you're not planning on taking it that far, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. That 20" barrel would easily take you to 600 or 700 anyway. Some of them are also using adjustable gas blocks to tune their loads, and so they're not beating the heck out of the bolt, just something to think about. This version is the one that I see most often, usually tweaked with a different stock and grip, but something of this flavor. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/slideshow.aspx?id=14

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys