Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default remington model 700 bolt lock broke, how do you fix it?

My brother has a Remington 700, and the bolt lock doesn't lock the bolt in anymore. The button in front of the trigger is stuck in the "pressed" position. I've seen the diagram on the Remington website, and I see that there's a button, a spring, and a pin. I'm thinking it's the spring. Has anyone else had this problem before? I didn't have my tools when I was at his house, so I told him I'd ask you guys, and get back to him in a few days.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: remington model 700 bolt lock broke, how do you fix it?

I've had my bolt release button get a little sticky before. If you take it out of the stock you will see if the spring is broke or it's just sticky. If the spring is good, just clean it up a bit and lubricate it. Work it in and out while it's still out of the stock to make sure it's good to go.

Check zero after you get it back together.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Um, I'm not sure that I exactly understand by what you mean by "bolt lock". At first I thought you meant maybe the J-lock that comes on some of the new Remington actions, but the location you described it doesn't sound right. Then, from what Buster said, it makes me think that he's talking about the bolt stop, that keeps the bolt from falling out of the rifle after you pull it back. Is this what you mean? I need a slightly better description than "in front of the trigger". If I was in the shooter position, the bolt stop is BEHIND the trigger, and on the top left hand side of the action. The only thing that I can think of in front of the trigger, is the floor plate release for the BDL's. I have a problem with trying to help you remedy the problem, just trying to figure out which part you're talking about. If you have a Remington diagram, post it up here and the part number, and that'll work as well.

IF you are talking about the bolt stop, it's fairly common for the spring to break. I had one broken on the action that I bought to build my custom rifle. As Buster said, sometimes they can get really dirty and stay stuck down, simply cleaning can fix that.

(Cambria County)

The bolt release button on a Rem. 700 is inside the trigger guard and just in front of the trigger-invisible unless viewed from the underside.

The bolt release lever on a Win. 70 is on the top, rear, left hand side of the action beside the bolt channel.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Lancaster County)

The "Bolt Lock" your referring is the "Bolt Stop - Bolt Release". It stops the bolt by contacting the locking lug when the bolt is pulled back. The button is actually a stamped steel "plate" that rides on the side of the trigger side plate secured with a pin that also mounts the safety lever,safety detent spring and ball.

"bolt lock doesn't lock the bolt in anymore. The button in front of the trigger is stuck in the "pressed" position. "

Thats telling me, barring any physical damage, its gooked up! Without disassembling it, the easies and best "Fix", remove the barreled action then flush it with Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid. Squirt it as heavy as you want, it won't hurt anything. With repeated soakings and working the release all the accumulated oil,dirt and other assorted crud will be flushed out. You may as well do the trigger itself while your at it. If the release is that gummed up, the trigger internals will be also. Just keep dumping the lighter fluid on and in until it comes out clean.

After the naphtha evaporates a fine light oil will be left behind which will lubricate the parts, won't attract dirt and prevents rust. No other lubrication is necessary or recommended. And...keep the damn WD40 out of there!

Bill

Yes, I'm talking about the bolt stop. Buster describes it well. I agree that it may be gunk or the spring. I'll remove the trigger guard assembly and go from there. I'll keep you all posted on the results.