Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 10/22 barrel Threads

I live in Elizabethtown. I have a 10/22 that I need to put 1/2”x28 threads on for a can. Does anyone have a reputable gunsmith within an hour of me that has available slots? Seems like a lot of smiths are booked. Thanks!

(Washington County)

Default Re: 10/22 barrel Threads

Here is another option.

If you have a set of allen wrenches and two strong hands you can remove your barrel. Its easy, no special tools needed. Buy a threaded barrel, sell your original one. Probably wont spend much when its done as well.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Could also find a quality machine shop.

Any quality machinist could do that in 5 minutes.

(Beaver County)

With the cost of threading a barrel averaging $125, I'd be looking at a new barrel and selling the old one. Although I haven't priced a 10/22 barrel in awhile my first call would be to Shaw Barrels in Bridgeville pa.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Could also find a quality machine shop.

Any quality machinist could do that in 5 minutes.
    Maybe. If you're using a die and the OD of the barrel is correct. If barrel OD is not correct, I'd like see that 5 minute job (on someone else's gun.)

If you want reliably concentric threads, pull the barrel and use a lathe (taking care to set it up properly) and single point the threads. Nobody is doing that in 5 minutes.

(Washington County)

I know someone who had a machine shop thread a 5.56 barrel. It is totally jacked. Not concentric, ugly, etc. Some can do it. Some can*t.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Maybe. If you're using a die and the OD of the barrel is correct. If barrel OD is not correct, I'd like see that 5 minute job (on someone else's gun.)

If you want reliably concentric threads, pull the barrel and use a lathe (taking care to set it up properly) and single point the threads. Nobody is doing that in 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I know someone who had a machine shop thread a 5.56 barrel. It is totally jacked. Not concentric, ugly, etc. Some can do it. Some can*t.
    Guess it helps that my machinist is a gun guy.

And yea, about 5 -10 minutes of lathe time after being chucked up.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post

I do concur that it would take more than 5 minutes(just in setting up concentric on a lathe), I think his point is that it wouldn't take relatively all that long and that a machinist could do it, and is an often overlooked place to get certain things done.

Machine shops are able to work on gun parts without an FFL. The ATF has been pushing those shops that make a habit of "smithing" to get a FFL.

And any shop that keeps a federally defined "firearm" for more than 24hrs will require a FFL.

Best method to keep the law off of everyone is to take only the barrel to a machinist.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I do concur that it would take more than 5 minutes(just in setting up concentric on a lathe), I think his point is that it wouldn't take relatively all that long and that a machinist could do it, and is an often overlooked place to get certain things done.

Machine shops are able to work on gun parts without an FFL. The ATF has been pushing those shops that make a habit of "smithing" to get a FFL.

And any shop that keeps a federally defined "firearm" for more than 24hrs will require a FFL.

Best method to keep the law off of everyone is to take only the barrel to a machinist.
    Exactly this. Took more time fiddling and chucking it up to get it spinning properly, than to make the cuts. Actual cutting time seemed like nothing though.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Exactly this. Took more time fiddling and chucking it up to get it spinning properly, than to make the cuts. Actual cutting time seemed like nothing though.
    I've never threaded a barrel on a lathe, but I know I would go completely overboard if threading for a suppressor. Make a plug to register in the chamber, and a plug in the muzzle end of the bore instead of indicating on the OD of the barrel, and mounting between centers. The axis through the chamber and bore are more important than the OD. Probably would need/make a custom lathe dog as well. (I have been accused of being OCD on many occasions.)

That being said, any decent job will likely approach the cost of a new threaded barrel. Unless it's a friend who can be trusted to do the job correctly. A contract shop charges like $80-$100/hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast