Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Experience at Redding Auction

If you go auction, I would at least try to negotiate the rate.

Offer 20%, indicating that otherwise you may as well just sell to a local gun shop. Walk away if they don't go under 25% (still ridiculous in my opinion). You can always go back later.

Fungible items like unused factory ammo, do well in classified ads, and skip the advertising costs (in the free PAFOA ads) as well as the heavy auction premiums. Some auctions have a buyer's premiums PLUS a seller's premium, which both suppress the high bid and eat into the final realized take-home amount.

The downside is that you have to meet with strangers, who sometimes are bad actors. You can skip that by avoiding crime spots and late hours. Outside Philly, during daylight, in a public place, is safe. At your home at 9 PM, not so safe.

I'd look for comparable pricing by caliber and type, so that anyone's ".38 special hollowpoint" would be a useful benchmark for what buyers are willing to pay for that, and then discount it because it's old and pre-owned.

Ammo can easily go for a buck a round, or more, for anything above .22 caliber. So even a dozen or so boxes are worth researching.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    This is a good idea... To get completed auctions on GB you need to be signed in, and then under advanced you can search completed auctions... I like to sort on number of bids when doing so.
    Thank you for the info. That makes sense. When I was on the site it was just as an anonymous user. I have never bought anything from there so never registered.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Redding auction has a good following of people. Well run with a good rep. Ammo prices are typically at the upper end.
    Yes, from their website it looks like they move a massive amount of stuff and looks like it is well organized. When I called them a couple weeks back I could have dropped it off at their place in like 2-3 weeks but it would not have actually been auctioned until approx. 2 months later because of all the stuff they already have in the pipeline. When I look at pictures of upcoming auctions I see some of the same stuff that we are trying to move. If I could find the time to attend one of their upcoming auctions I would probably learn a lot about market prices that would even help me with local sales.

When meeting people if you decide to become the seller, meet in a place comfortable to you. Some Police stations even have a place just for face to face transactions. I like to meet at busy locations such as convenience stores, Walmart stores and so on. Basically, pick a place with lots of security cameras.

So, if the owner had all of this ammo, what is going on with the guns? Lots of guys on here buy gun from the classifieds.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Cumberland County)

I*m in Mechanicsburg and am willing to offer assistance. If your interested send me a message.

As a few have mentioned I'd just sell it bulk on GunBroker in bulk lots for each ammo type you've got. Another option is looking into any upcoming gun shows in your area, that would be an easy way to sell off your ammo. You could either get a booth which is typically pretty cheap or go early and sell off to vendors looking for more ammo to sell. Of course at that point you're not going to get full price which then the auction might be the easiest choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12