Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Experience at Redding Auction

Hi All,
    I am trying to help an older person who is downsizing find a new owner/s for some ammunition that he has. I am not well versed in firearms and ammunition. I talked to some people at a gun store I stopped at and they suggested that Redding Auction might be a good way to get rid of it. The appeal of that is that we would take it down there in one trip and it would be gone, rather than selling it through multiple private sales. For those that have attended the auction does it draw decent size crowds? The downside of the auction is that I think they told be their commission is 28-31%. A negative on private sales for me is that I don't know what the stuff is worth. I also understand that some gun stores would buy it as well. It is not a huge hoard like some I have seen in videos, but it is enough that it is worth putting some effort in trying to optimize how he gets rid of it. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what approach you would take to getting rid of it if you were in a similar situation? Hoping that this forum is acceptable for this type of question.
    Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Experience at Redding Auction

You can spend a little bit of time searching the web for pricing. gunbroker.com is one place to see what things are selling for. There are a boatload of online vendors and you may find most of the stuff that you have on any one of those. You could list the stuff for sale here at prices that you feel comfortable with based on your research. Primers and powder are hazardous materials and shipping is an issue with them but the other stuff you should be able to ship. The regulars here are not going to give you any problems and most everything will sell if it is priced right. Auctions are bringing tip dollar but as you said, they take a nice chunk of that too. But they do provide a service that has to be paid for.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

Okay, I'll be the guy...What you got?

Obscure ammo brings high dollars. Typical stuff; 9mm, 380, 22...not so much as it is coming back availability wise.

30-06, 30-30, 45-70, 280 are bringing a premium.

Just a bit of advice. Research as Walleye mentioned above, then put it here. Priced right, it will likely go, and you'll be dealing with (relative) locals.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Cumberland County)

Redding auction has a good following of people. Well run with a good rep. Ammo prices are typically at the upper end.

(Washington County)

In addition to what is already mentioned, cartridge collecting is a serious hobby. There is a cartridge collector show in PA. Individual rounds, old boxes, rare examples, etc. can fetch surprising amounts if properly identified and marketed. Post what you have and we will dish out some free advice.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

He probably doesnt want to get involved with all the BS that comes with selling online. Don't blame him.
    Auction is probably the best bet. But the least amount of profit..

(Northumberland County)

For easy sale, I would agree with auction. But that said, 30% commission seems terribly high. Better be bringing a heck of a premium for that much commission.

I've been using Shirks out of Annville to buy and sell and they take 15% off the seller, 13% off the buyer. Still the same amount to the auctioneer, but your not getting socked for all of it as the seller.

Would also suggest ammoseek.com for researching the more "standard fare" calibers/loads, if selling piecemeal.

(Cumberland County)

Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I did post a related thread in the classified section that had some of the sizes and didn't know if it would be appropriate to put it in this thread because it might look like I am trying to "advertise" here on this thread. But since you asked I will add some details. As I understand it most of the stuff was purchased in the range of 6-12 years ago. Most of it was purchased from Walmart and a small amount from some other shops. It is all factory ammo. They person does not reload. So there are no really old cartridges. The stuff has been stored in the conditioned part of the house. I have really only sorted through one of the group of boxes but he says the other boxes should have a similar blend of calibers. I don't have a complete inventory at the moment because the house is just so cluttered and we are working with other things as well that there is not a nice clear area to get everything into one spot. But from what I did look at and take notes on I saw 270 (130 and 150 GR soft point, mostly made by Federal some Remington), 30-30 (150 GR soft point, mostly Federal some Remington), 357 Mag (Remington UMC 125 GR semi-jacketed HP, 100 rds per box), 38 Sp (158 GR Federal and 130 GR Remington), CCI small pistol primers No 500 (1000/box), 9mm (Blazer Brass), 12 GA (100 shell boxes of "sporting load" or something like that), .22 (bulk packs of approx. 500, from several brands). Once some other things are removed from the house I will be able to go over to get a better inventory/count, but for most of the rounds mentioned there are at least a dozen boxes for what I already looked at.

Thanks for the recommendations on research. I have tried to do some and the numbers were so wide I don't know what is realistic. The confusing thing about Gunbroker is that I can only find current auctions and not completed auctions. For example on the boxes of 1000 primers I see prices from $92 to $225 and I couldn't tell if they were selling at either price and why there was such a difference. The challenge I found with trying to find comparables at online sites is that I might find the exact item but it is out of stock...so then I did't know if the price that they were showing was a current price or if it was the price the last time they had inventory.
    Again, I really appreciate the input from this very experienced group. Thank you.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by geneinpa View Post
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I did post a related thread in the classified section that had some of the sizes and didn't know if it would be appropriate to put it in this thread because it might look like I am trying to "advertise" here on this thread. But since you asked I will add some details. As I understand it most of the stuff was purchased in the range of 6-12 years ago. Most of it was purchased from Walmart and a small amount from some other shops. It is all factory ammo. They person does not reload. So there are no really old cartridges. The stuff has been stored in the conditioned part of the house. I have really only sorted through one of the group of boxes but he says the other boxes should have a similar blend of calibers. I don't have a complete inventory at the moment because the house is just so cluttered and we are working with other things as well that there is not a nice clear area to get everything into one spot. But from what I did look at and take notes on I saw 270 (130 and 150 GR soft point, mostly made by Federal some Remington), 30-30 (150 GR soft point, mostly Federal some Remington), 357 Mag (Remington UMC 125 GR semi-jacketed HP, 100 rds per box), 38 Sp (158 GR Federal and 130 GR Remington), CCI small pistol primers No 500 (1000/box), 9mm (Blazer Brass), 12 GA (100 shell boxes of "sporting load" or something like that), .22 (bulk packs of approx. 500, from several brands). Once some other things are removed from the house I will be able to go over to get a better inventory/count, but for most of the rounds mentioned there are at least a dozen boxes for what I already looked at.

Thanks for the recommendations on research. I have tried to do some and the numbers were so wide I don't know what is realistic. The confusing thing about Gunbroker is that I can only find current auctions and not completed auctions. For example on the boxes of 1000 primers I see prices from $92 to $225 and I couldn't tell if they were selling at either price and why there was such a difference. The challenge I found with trying to find comparables at online sites is that I might find the exact item but it is out of stock...so then I did't know if the price that they were showing was a current price or if it was the price the last time they had inventory.
    Again, I really appreciate the input from this very experienced group. Thank you.
    Maybe a member here would be willing to help you sort and price everything appropriately for a small trade of ammo for services?

If I was closer I'd offer to help for a box or two of .22lr ammo lol

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Maybe a member here would be willing to help you sort and price everything appropriately for a small trade of ammo for services?

If I was closer I'd offer to help for a box or two of .22lr ammo lol
    This is a good idea... To get completed auctions on GB you need to be signed in, and then under advanced you can search completed auctions... I like to sort on number of bids when doing so.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast