Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: AR takedown pin tool

My knuckle always worked for me.

(Cumberland County)

After putting together my first AR many years ago I learned to always have two "oops kits" purchased and handy at all times

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I bought a weavers armorers kit for the ar at walmart.com Its got everything to build a upper and lower.
    I lost the little cotter pin that holds the firing pin in.. I have no idea how I lost it, put it in the cleaning bowl and it was gone.
    I'm not going to order one, home dumpster has tons of them.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

In the past a straight edge razor out of a box cutter would work for me. But as I get older - everything seems to get harder and it doesn't work well for me anymore. I think once I master this tool it will work best for me.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Delaware County)

A quarter inch hitch pin works the same way for just a couple bucks.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1919 View Post
    I used a chop stick. Easy peasey. Also used it to help push the pins out till they loosened up a bit.

You guys would fall out of your shoes and piss yourselves laughing if you saw what I use to put roll pins in. Works effin perfect. Made it from a hunk of scrap steel rod. Long, chisel thickness at one end (easy to hold!), thin at other and polished.

Dad was a deep coal miner. We was po folk. You would make it before you run out to buy it, if you even could buy it. Depression era parents. Would not trade my childhood for anything.

I was also going to suggest a properly sized wooden dowel cut at an angle on one side.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I bought a weavers armorers kit for the ar at walmart.com Its got everything to build a upper and lower.
    I lost the little cotter pin that holds the firing pin in.. I have no idea how I lost it, put it in the cleaning bowl and it was gone.
    I'm not going to order one, home dumpster has tons of them.
    In the early to mid 70s Colt Manufacturing removed the cotter pin from their AR 15s and M16s and replaced it with an alternate device to secure the firing pin in the bolt. However they eventually went back to the cotter pin which inspired the TV sitcom "Welcome Back Kotter Pin".

(Allegheny County)

razor blade

(Allegheny County)

Waste of money. A razor knife is all you need to hold the detent in there while putting the pin in place.

Great that someone can make money by selling needless tools though. God bless America!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    In the early to mid 70s Colt Manufacturing removed the cotter pin from their AR 15s and M16s and replaced it with an alternate device to secure the firing pin in the bolt. However they eventually went back to the cotter pin which inspired the TV sitcom "Welcome Back Kotter Pin".
    That was a good show.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1919 View Post
    I used a chop stick. Easy peasey. Also used it to help push the pins out till they loosened up a bit.

You guys would fall out of your shoes and piss yourselves laughing if you saw what I use to put roll pins in. Works effin perfect. Made it from a hunk of scrap steel rod. Long, chisel thickness at one end (easy to hold!), thin at other and polished.

Dad was a deep coal miner. We was po folk. You would make it before you run out to buy it, if you even could buy it. Depression era parents. Would not trade my childhood for anything.

I use a .125 drill bit that I ground the shank side to a point to drive home my roll pins.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    In the past a straight edge razor out of a box cutter would work for me. But as I get older - everything seems to get harder and it doesn't work well for me anymore. I think once I master this tool it will work best for me.
    For the pivot pin I use a toothpick with point sanded flat to push the detent in and load the spring then take a small jewelers flathead to capture the spring. I prefer this over the razor blade method because if you are careful you can remove your hand from the flathead and work with both hands.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast