Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default How muggers see you as a gun owner

This is an extremely interesting article about how muggers view you as a concealed carrier, as well as what they look for in a potential victim and how to avoid encountering them at all

It goes into depth about how muggers may react when they find you are carrying

The author sent a survey out to convicted muggers asking their opinions. He says the results were surprisingly open and direct

It's also interesting to see how they analyzed their statistics, but I'm a numbers nerd and that stuff entertains me all day long

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...roject-part-1/
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How muggers see you as a gun owner

I've gotten to the point that I have my gun in full view when I'm at a gas station and if I happen to be filling up at night I have it in my hand as my head swivels around.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

The behaviors least selected by respondents (11% of the time or less) included:

• The person is elderly.
    • The person is a child.
    • The person has a child with them.
    • The person is walking very quickly.
    • The person makes eye contact with me.
    • The person has a cane.

I had an experience with eye contact. It was dark, and I had just crossed S. 18th St on the South Side Slopes onto the Mission St. bridge. Three young guys walking down S. 18th turned and followed me onto the bridge. It definitely didn't feel right. Halfway across the bridge, I turned and gave them a hard look over my shoulder. That look stopped them in their tracks. One guy actually spun on a dime and started walking in the other direction. I have no doubt I would have been mugged if I didn't give them that look.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

• The person is elderly.
    • The person is a child.
    • The person has a cane.

I had an experience with eye contact. It was dark, and I had just crossed S. 18th St on the South Side Slopes onto the Mission St. bridge. Three young guys walking down S. 18th turned and followed me onto the bridge. It definitely didn't feel right. Halfway across the bridge, I turned and gave them a hard look over my shoulder. That look stopped them in their tracks. One guy actually spun on a dime and started walking in the other direction. I have no doubt I would have been mugged if I didn't give them that look.
    Can you provide a picture of 'the look', which is most safe and effective?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

• The person is elderly.
    • The person is a child.
    • The person has a cane.

(York County)

Eye contact is key because a criminal doesn't want you to be able to identify them later

You know the greeter at Wal Mart? His job is not to make you feel welcome. His job is to look everyone entering in the eye because studies show it reduces retail theft by a significant amount. People don't like to commit crimes after you stare at their face.

This isn't 100% effective

Sometimes you have a roving band of ferel teenagers just looking to be violent. They don't care if you see them. They want a fight. And for that group eye contact can make it worse as it gives them a reason to engage you. (It's a stupid reason. But we are talking about stupid people here. This kind of person will take eye contact as a threat or a challenge to them.)

Or drug addicts....they won't even notice you looking at them. You are just a conduit for the next $20 they need for a hit. They don't likely know what planet they are on.

Ultimately you need to look like a more difficult mark than someone else nearby and you will be left alone most of the time.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    This one usually works.

photo.jpg
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(York County)

The other takeaway I found interesting is how more muggers than you think would attempt to disarm you if you pulled a gun

You don't carry to scare someone off. It has a less than 50% chance of working for an actual mugger intent on robbing you

If you pull a gun, don't hesitate. The second you pull the gun out you become a bigger threat to the attacker and he will likely try to fight you for the gun. If he wins you're in deep trouble in a hurry.

If you unholster, be ready to shoot and shoot quickly to end the threat.

Don't aim and hope he gets scared and runs away. I would MUCH prefer to not shoot a bad guy or anyone else too. I do not ever want to unholster my weapon. Ever. But if you need to, it's not for show. Flashing it as a scare tactic could increase your danger.

That is not really new information to me, but reading the article and seeing the statistical evidence to support that mindset is interesting.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    The other takeaway I found interesting is how more muggers than you think would attempt to disarm you if you pulled a gun

You don't carry to scare someone off. It has a less than 50% chance of working for an actual mugger intent on robbing you

If you pull a gun, don't hesitate. The second you pull the gun out you become a bigger threat to the attacker and he will likely try to fight you for the gun. If he wins you're in deep trouble in a hurry.

Don't aim and hope he gets scared and runs away. I would MUCH prefer to not shoot a bad guy or anyone else too. I do not ever want to unholster my weapon. Ever. But if you need to, it's not for show. Flashing it as a scare tactic could increase your danger.
    Well...if they expect you to shoot them with it and they are on you when you pull it, they may as well try to get it off of you. If they were 10' away and you pulled it, I doubt that they would try to take it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post

This is also why you carry condition 1.

Loaded, one in the chamber, safety off(if so equiped).
    Train. Train. Train.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast