Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Carrying handgun to Florida on motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    So I'm looking to go on an adventure.

Never been south and it's getting to be time to do some traveling in the spring/summer.

I'd like to leave PA, head down through the Appalachian mountains down to the smokeys for a ride on the dragon,, then scooting over to Alabama for a pit stop at the Barber Motorsports Museum, then running to the gulf at mobile Alabama, and then along the gulf through the everglades and down to the keys. Return trip along the beach as far as I can to get home. ��

Now, what I'm looking for is info on reciprocity and Non-res license to carry, and even more specifically, what states to avoid at all costs(jersey!, MD?, del?)

I would greatly appreciate any advice for a trip like this. I'm planning on backcountry wild camping in the mountains. Wanna be able to defend myself if needed against 4 and 2 legged critters.
    Out of state travel and firearm travel are both drastically new to me lol trying to do the correctly and safely.
    If you head west to I79, then straight South through WVA and then to Alabama, you avoid Md. and South Carolina,
    the only two non reciprocal states. Just check the map Pens referred to. Every state on the southern border is OK except NM, and of course CCA.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    So I'm looking to go on an adventure.

Never been south and it's getting to be time to do some traveling in the spring/summer.

I'd like to leave PA, head down through the Appalachian mountains down to the smokeys for a ride on the dragon,, then scooting over to Alabama for a pit stop at the Barber Motorsports Museum, then running to the gulf at mobile Alabama, and then along the gulf through the everglades and down to the keys. Return trip along the beach as far as I can to get home. ��

Now, what I'm looking for is info on reciprocity and Non-res license to carry, and even more specifically, what states to avoid at all costs(jersey!, MD?, del?)

I would greatly appreciate any advice for a trip like this. I'm planning on backcountry wild camping in the mountains. Wanna be able to defend myself if needed against 4 and 2 legged critters.
    Out of state travel and firearm travel are both drastically new to me lol trying to do the correctly and safely.
    Yes, avoid MD at all costs. Easy to do. Check the maps Pens referred to. West to I79, straight South through WVA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Let me know how it goes! I*m supposed to ride to TN and meet up with a friend from TX for a few days once he finishes up the home he*s building for the family. Considering much the same route down the Appalachians, paralleling 81 to Knoxville.

And yes, we should do a few Poofa group rides once in a while, there are enough riders here!
    15 South out of Gettysburg to 29 South is a good route for getting through Virginia if you're not intending to do the Parkway. Four lane the whole way with some limited access so you make pretty good time compared to the highway.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    How do you ride that long without your ass getting sore?
    Practice....and a good seat.

I can still do 1000 miles in a day if I set my mind to it. It's easier if you have a buddy, then it becomes a 1000 mile race.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    That sounds like a great ride, tagging the thread for interest.
    How long do you think the trip will take and how many miles per day do you intend?

I picked up a used traveling scoot near Pittsburg last August and plan to use the crap out of it this year.
    There are a bunch of motorcycle chums on here but trying to get them together for a ride is worse than herding cats.
    I'm planning on a 15 day or so trip, no daily goal for miles. Just trying to enjoy the moments.

And yea absolutely! But we should plan a group ride and range day or something!

(Jefferson County)

Stay out of MD - period. Kinda hard to fulfill FOPA on a motorcycle. That and they are assholes that check your license plate and request carry license info with respective states to have reason to pull you over to get you on MD law(it has happened before).

DE allows for UNLICENSED OPEN CARRY but the gun must be visible and in plain view. One of the major cities does require a DE permit or reciprocal license to merely open carry(one of the grandfathered ordinances). ...this is assuming you don't have a license that DE honors.

WV = no problem, reciprocity and constitutional carry
    VA = no problem, no reciprocity but honors licenses from all states
    NC = no problem, reciprocity
    SC = gun must be in latched saddlebag.
    GA = no problem, reciprocity
    FL = no problem, reciprocity(can only carry concealed)

Legally safest option is to go west in PA to I79, then south thru WV, avoiding MD all together.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Or, you could use any route you wish and just hand it off to me when entering enemy territory. I*m good in 50 states and the territories and possessions.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Or, you could use any route you wish and just hand it off to me when entering enemy territory. I*m good in 50 states and the territories and possessions.
    When my details are a bit more finalized I'll be putting out an open invite for anyone who wants to tag along in any capacity!

If you just wanna go a day or two, or tag along till meeting with other friends is all fine by me. The more the merrier!

(Bucks County)

I just might depending on when you*re leaving. I could use a few days on the road.
    I know you*re looking for gear. I bought a *Wingman of the road* *Goose* last year. I only used it once but except for the lack of headroom it works well. I left it set up on the deck for a couple weeks in pretty stormy weather. No leaks whatsoever.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Stay out of MD - period. Kinda hard to fulfill FOPA on a motorcycle. That and they are assholes that check your license plate and request carry license info with respective states to have reason to pull you over to get you on MD law(it has happened before).

DE allows for UNLICENSED OPEN CARRY but the gun must be visible and in plain view. One of the major cities does require a DE permit or reciprocal license to merely open carry(one of the grandfathered ordinances). ...this is assuming you don't have a license that DE honors.

WV = no problem, reciprocity and constitutional carry
    VA = no problem, no reciprocity but honors licenses from all states
    NC = no problem, reciprocity
    SC = gun must be in latched saddlebag.
    GA = no problem, reciprocity
    FL = no problem, reciprocity(can only carry concealed)

Legally safest option is to go west in PA to I79, then south thru WV, avoiding MD all together.
    There is a 3 mile stretch of MD on 522 between I70 and Berkley Springs WV

Observe the 35 MPH limit and you should be good to go.

The rest of the drive down to Winchester VA is nice.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast