Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default PA LTCF for Non-Resident?

Are there any counties in SE PA offering LTCF's to Non-Residents? Have a co-worker from CT (the NUTmeg state) that would like to carry while here. When I still lived in the People's Republik of NY I had a non-resident LTCF issued by Centre country, but that was a long time ago. I know sheriff's come and go, any pointers appreciated.

(Berks County)

Default Re: PA LTCF for Non-Resident?

Quote Originally Posted by 64deuce View Post
    Are there any counties in SE PA offering LTCF's to Non-Residents? Have a co-worker from CT (the NUTmeg state) that would like to carry while here. When I still lived in the People's Republik of NY I had a non-resident LTCF issued by Centre country, but that was a long time ago. I know sheriff's come and go, any pointers appreciated.
    Do they have a carry permit in CT? One would be required before PA would issue one. Berks County is very friendly and I can't speak for any of the others.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Do they have a carry permit in CT? One would be required before PA would issue one. Berks County is very friendly and I can't speak for any of the others.
    Is Berks issuing non-Res LTCF?
    Last I heard, they weren't.

Lancaster had stopped and DelCo was "on hold."

I had to go to York, which was a positive process and interaction. Thank you, York County Sheriff!

Make sure your friend has a CCW in his home state, AND CALLS AHEAD to the PA Sheriff, to make sure they issue to non-Res, before wasting a trip.

I called a PA "2A Advocate" about PA Sheriffs waning interest in offering this service to non-Res carriers; he was wholly uninterested in helping solve this problem.

AT ONE TIME there was a carve-out exception for residents of states that essentially NEVER issue a CCW, for a non-Res of one of those states to get a PA LTCF. Not sure if that exception still exists, or is honored.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 64deuce View Post
    If his or Hers permit is an unrestricted carry, he/she can apply online for Wayne County PA. Of course you have to pick it up in person when approved. Also, Wayne is closer to CT than Centre CO, if I*m not mistaken. Good luck.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Is Berks issuing non-Res LTCF?
    Last I heard, they weren't.

Lancaster had stopped and DelCo was "on hold."

I had to go to York, which was a positive process and interaction. Thank you, York County Sheriff!

Make sure your friend has a CCW in his home state, AND CALLS AHEAD to the PA Sheriff, to make sure they issue to non-Res, before wasting a trip.

I called a PA "2A Advocate" about PA Sheriffs waning interest in offering this service to non-Res carriers; he was wholly uninterested in helping solve this problem.

AT ONE TIME there was a carve-out exception for residents of states that essentially NEVER issue a CCW, for a non-Res of one of those states to get a PA LTCF. Not sure if that exception still exists, or is honored.

Good Luck!
    I hadn't heard that and at this point, I do not know.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Jefferson County)

For the most part, the following counties will issue to non-residents: Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Venango, Jefferson, McKean, Centre, Lackawanna. Clarion and Clearfield sometimes will, depending on their moods, and sometimes implements "resident days only".

I'm not familiar enough with Elk, Warren, Tioga, Clinton, Indiana, Cambria, and Somerset Counties to know.

There may be others, but not sure which ones they are. And even those above could have changed since last elections and/or COVID policy.

I'd bet real $ that Jefferson will. Walk in/walk out service 8AM-4PM Mon-Fri. Courthouse generally closes up by 4:30PM.

Centre used to be the "go to" county years ago for non-residents, but not sure how the present sheriff is.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

To be clear, every county is obligated by law to issue permits to non-residents so long as they meet the defined criteria.

There are some counties that are deliberately violating the law, typically by refusing to accept applications. Gunlawyer001 informed me this is called a "constructive denial" - they aren't technically denying you a permit, but in reality they are.

In 2016, I informed the Susquehanna County sheriff that I would pursue legal action if he continued in his unlawful behavior. He said he didn't care, but two weeks later he called me and asked me to come down and deliver my application, and my renewal was issued on the spot. Unclear whether my actions actually triggered this change - he said he was working on a reciprocity agreement with my PRNY county at the time - but it is very clear that he accomplished one thing in particular: he eliminated my standing to sue.

This unlawful behavior will continue until someone fights back. I'll certainly contribute to the legal fund for the person who does so.

(Warren County)

Warren county issues non resident

(Juniata County)

Post 6 and post 7 pretty much cover it.

Of you*re feeling salty, go to whatever is closest, give them the application, preferably while recording government officials in the performance of their duties, and then call a lawyer.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001