Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Give me your thoughts on loading 9mm with CFE Pistol

Currently load 5 other calibers. I've been wanting to get into 9mm for a couple years. Just haven't made the time. I got some big projects (read: expensive/long) out of the way and want to proceed.

One good buddy shoots a lot of 9mm. He has been aware of my intentions. He uses Bullseye. A good powder for 9mm. He ran out of it quite a while back and picked up some CFE Pistol - A RATHER NEW POWDER THAT I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT. He reported "acceptable results" with it. He is more of a plinker - I like good groups- (I understand, a 9mm is not a target pistol). I have been on the lookout for some other preferable powders - no luck. Same with small primers and down to my last 600. (SEE MY TRADE OFFER FOR WIN 209s IN THE CLASSIFIEDS)

So we just got together this week for the first time in 2 months. He had the Carona, then I had it - his wife and my gal also. He has done well and gets what he wants when he wants it. Orders online a bit with no issue with hazmat fees. I've done ok but still need to take cost into account.

So I go over to visit (read: coctail time) while our women are out. He comes out with 2 8LBrs. One for me. He saw me wince and said I did not need to take it if I did not want it. I took it graciously - ouch. I was thinking a one pounder.

So... I read some love it for 9mm, some not so much. Some great reports, some not so great.

What I will be using:

Glock 19. (Please - no discussion on the Glock Bulge)
    115 gr jacketed round nose - not plated. I want to go a bit warm. I see them available somewhat regularly.
    Win white box brass.
    Win small primers.
    CFE Pistol (I am aware of better powders for 9mm. None available. He was doing me a return favor.)

Soo.......

Anyone use it for 9mm.
    Pistol used? Barrel length?
    Bullet?
    Primer?
    Charge?
    Results: Distance? Velocity? (if you know). Good seal? Good burn? Groups? (Again, I know my G19 is not a target pistol. Just lookin for minute of unibrow. )

I know, I've been developing loads for 50 years. Just a little weary after the holidays and 3 weeks doing battle with the Caronus (what my gal calls it). I haven't been on the reloading bench as much this past year and anxious to dig into this 8 pounder. I know the ladder process. Just looking for some observations.

Any comments on your experience with CFE for 9mm is greatly appreciated. WISH I COULD HAVE FOUND SOME DAMN BULLSEYE. Damn 8LBr might outlive me. Rough time to want to reload!

Thanks,
    fritz

Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Give me your thoughts on loading 9mm with CFE Pistol

I used it years ago. It worked fine with coated cast and plated and jacketed. Used it for 115 and 125 grain bullets in a variety of my pistols. Like you i like bullseye. The CFE will be fine in the mean time. I don't recall the charges though.

(Monroe County)

I have used it with blue bullets (coated). I'll check my recipe for you, but it works well in all my 9mms. From pistols to PCCs. All barrel lengths. I don't work up loads yet as I don't have a Chrono, or time (until recently, a place) to do that. I just pick something in the middle-high zone between min and max loadings for lead bullets

Currently I'm using 115gr blue bullets over 5.2gr cfe pistol. 1.10" COAL. CCI SPP, mixed headstamp brass.

Accuracy is minute of soda can at 50 yds in the PCCs.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54

Looks like it*ll work, all subsonic loads.
    SigGendered

(Susquehanna County)

CFE - Pistol works fine for every caliber I reload. 9mm, .38 Spec., .45 ACP

For Berry 124 gr Plated 5.2 or 5.3 grs of it gives me loads that meet of exceed IDPA power factor requirements.
    For Steel Valley 125 gr coated RN 4.7 grs produces the same performance. (avg vel. 1039 fps std Dev. 28) fired from S&W 5" bbl Mod. 986 revolver.

Be sure to start at recommend and work up!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

I used it with some of Steel Valley Casting's 147gr 9mm. It worked OK, but I found that, at least with the lighter loads I did (~950FPS or so), it didn't burn too great. Cases looked sooty, you'd feel like there's particulates coming out of the ejection port, a bit smoky... But it worked for most of the calibers I owned.

With the way things are, it's basically get the powder that you can get, not the powder you want.

(Tioga County)

I tried it recently in 45 ACP, it wasn't great.

I am going to try it in 9mm this year. I have a bunch of 9mm brass and will be doing different loads. Since I have 2 pounds of CFE Pistol we will work with it and see what we can do.

(Cumberland County)

Thank you all for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

Damn, 8lbs of powder. Good on brass. Minimal primers. Need to order bullets. (waiting for a new credit card cycle.)

I guess I should look at it as a classic glass half full scenario.

Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.