Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Inheriting guns and registration questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Hypothetical question of course. But unfortunately I'd love to carry them on rare occasion. Hypothetically.
    This would be my only concern. An unscrupulous LEO could seize the gun after not finding it "in your name" in the "database". You could transfer it to yourself at a knowledgeable FFL to avoid that problem.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    PA and Federal law allow for intrastate and interstate transfers without paperwork of guns(and PA "firearms") due to bequest(a will) and intestate succession(family inheritance when there isn't a will). Same with most other states.. NY and maybe a couple others require permits/paperwork.

So long as that gun isn't stolen, it is yours. Period.

And I concur with Daycrawler and middlefinger, ditch that lawyer. There are no legal problems, he was either going to keep it for himself or turn it over to police for destruction.
    Or pay your Mom pennies on the dollar, and sell it for profit.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Should have mentioned. It is pa to pa. Grandpas lastname is different than my own if that makes a difference. And guns were not named in will. I bought them from family after a dealer appraised them for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately 1903 is a 1926 make. Lawyer has been dealt with and Barr notified as well.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Dauphin County)

Should have mentioned. It is pa to pa. Grandpas lastname is different than my own if that makes a difference. And guns were not named in will. I bought them from family after a dealer appraised them for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately 1903 is a 1926 make. Lawyer has been dealt with and Barr notified as well.
    Well now, it depends on who you bought them from. Who received them from your grandfather's estate? Your Mother? If so, she could give them to you without paperwork. If an Aunt or Uncle, then you would have to transfer the handguns at an FFL to legally purchase them. If one of YOUR siblings, still need to transfer handguns at an FFL.

IF it was not your Mother, and you handed cash to one of the others listed (or someone who is not your parent or grandparent) and they handed you a pistol, shut up, ask a mod to delete this thread, and get to an FFL, with the person who received them from your Grandfather's estate, and do a transfer.
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; January 22nd, 2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added clarification
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Jefferson County)

If you bought them from a non-exempt heir(other than your spouse/parent/child/grandparent/grandchild), then a proper transfer to you is required from the person that first inherited them.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 22nd, 2022 at 06:32 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

This is just my advice to OP. Stop writing about private family business on a public Gun Forum. Live your life and leave the government to it's own devices and involve yourself as little as possible with them because the government has no inclination to obey their own laws. I would not carry a valuable antique pistol. That's just advice from a non lawyer individual to another.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Is Grandmom the designated executrix? If so, you bought them from her...not "the family". The transfer(s) from Grandmom requires nothing. If you reimbursed "the family" for the value of their interests, that's covered by execution of the will, having no bearing on the PA-permitted transaction of the passing on of the guns.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(York County)

As a hypothetical..... if my mom lives in Maryland and passes away.... as her legal heir can I just assume possession of her firearms and bring them to PA without bothering to tell MD or PA or an FFL?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    As a hypothetical..... if my mom lives in Maryland and passes away.... as her legal heir can I just assume possession of her firearms and bring them to PA without bothering to tell MD or PA or an FFL?
    The legal answer is no, you need the FFL because of different states.

The liberty answer is "what guns?".

I will not promote either openly.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    This is just my advice to OP. Stop writing about private family business on a public Gun Forum. Live your life and leave the government to it's own devices and involve yourself as little as possible with them because the government has no inclination to obey their own laws. I would not carry a valuable antique pistol. That's just advice from a non lawyer individual to another.
    Jen is correst.
    Go back and edit your posts so there are no misleading statements or information that could be used against you.

Carry guns are disposable tools. To view them otherwise is not clear thinking.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast