Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default VFG legal on semi-auto shotgun?

Is it legal to put a VFG on a semi-auto bullpup shotgun? (Centurion BP-12)

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: VFG legal on semi-auto shotgun?

Yes.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBear13 View Post
    Yes.
    Thank you. Are we allowed to put a vertical grip on a pump shotgun with an 18 and 1/2 in barrel? It's the barrel and receiver from a pump shotgun in a bullpup kit if it matters.

(Lancaster County)

Dp

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    Thank you. Are we allowed to put a vertical grip on a pump shotgun with an 18 and 1/2 in barrel? It's the barrel and receiver from a pump shotgun in a bullpup kit if it matters.
    If a shotgun has a barrel length >18" and overall length (OAL) >26", it is a title 1 shotgun and can have a vertical foregrip.

So yes, provided it is also >26" in OAL length with stock extended (if collapsible).
    I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    If a shotgun has a barrel length >18" and overall length (OAL) >26", it is a title 1 shotgun and can have a vertical foregrip.

So yes, provided it is also >26" in OAL length with stock extended (if collapsible).
    No collapsible stock & definitely not 26 OAL so the answer is no for this one then. Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSpeed View Post
    No collapsible stock & definitely not 26 OAL so the answer is no for this one then. Sucks!
    You should go back and measure again..... it needs to stay over 26" even without the foregrip

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    You should go back and measure again..... it needs to stay over 26" even without the foregrip
    This. OAL measurement is tricky to explain because ATF has f'd around with different measuring procedures depending on whether it has a stock vs brace and special rules if it has a folding mechanism.

For a fixed stock shotgun, the OAL is measured from buttpad to the end of the muzzle, not including any removable muzzle devices or brakes. This measurement must be at least 26", otherwise it would fall into one of the NFA categories (i.e. short barreled shotgun, since it has a stock).

If it has a collapsible stock, OAL is measured with the stock fully extended from muzzle to butt.

If it has a folding brace, OAL is measured with brace folded from muzzle to rearmost part of firearm.

If it has no stock (just a traditional rear pistol grip or shockwave style bird's head grip), it must still be >26" OAL from muzzle to rear of grip in order to be classified as an "other" firearm which is Title 1. It also must have been built in this configuration as its first ever assembled configuration, since if it started with a stock on it, it would be a "weapon made from shotgun" which falls under Title 2 / NFA.

If has no stock (just a rear pistol grip or bird's head grip) and the OAL is <26" from muzzle to rear of grip, then it would be an Any Other Weapon (AOW) which falls under the NFA. An example of this is the Serbu Super Shorty.

Through a combination of institutional incompetence and willful vagueness, the ATF has managed to construct a set of unintuitive and often contradictory "standards" through non-binding "opinions" that enable them to reinterpret facts to suit whatever narrative they wish to tell to make a prosecution stick.

This is my best effort at summarizing the current state as I understand it. Note my signature.
    I am not a lawyer.

I'm well aware of all that. Op has a bullpup shotgun and it still must be over 26" oal

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I guess I was half asleep when I measured...it is 26" OAL. So it looks like I can slap a VFG on then