Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Please help: aging eyes, prescription lens pistol shooting glasses

I currently shoot using my progressive lenses which is not ideal because it requires head tilt to get right focal length. Now that I am wading into USPSA, I'd like to get dedicated glasses for shooting competition. I definitely need both distance and close up focus. Any advice on bifocal, monofocal, etc..? Any recommendation for an optometrist or eye doc with experience helping shooters (within 2 hour drive from Doylestown in Bucks county).

Thanks in advance.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Please help: aging eyes, prescription lens pistol shooting glasses

I discoved 1x reading glasses work great for seeing the sights and targets. I had prescription glasses made for shooting. They have the auto darkening. The darkening can be a hindrance at times. Stop by the dollar store. And grab a pair of cheap readers.

(Chester County)

And remember this about target acquisition.

3C8956C5-1C56-443C-8B20-2B2CA9FAE02E.jpg

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    And remember this about target acquisition.

3C8956C5-1C56-443C-8B20-2B2CA9FAE02E.jpg
    I just usually align the three fuzzy blobs

(Bucks County)

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

I hated progressives. I need defined lines where reading and distance are. I'm not a competitive shooter but for me I have the reading down as low as possible. I got in my tractor looked out over the hood and used a sharpie to make a line so the reading part ended at the top of my dash board. Everything like the hood is in the distance part.

(Pike County)

For USPSA the traditional "front sight focus" doesn't work very well at all. I of course don't know how much better or worse your vision is than my own, but I've been tilting at this windmill for two solid years lol. What I am running right now is a pair of ESS Crossbow glasses with two different Rx inserts. For optics, I have one that is my normal distance prescription, single focus, in both eyes. For irons I have a pair that has my distance prescription in my left (non-dominant) eye and my front-sight prescription (-2.00) in my right eye. For some people this is headache inducing but for me it is the best compromise. When running and gunning it makes target focused shooting possible, but I can kind of focus in when I need to get a really clear sight picture.

I've tried basically every combination and it all boils down to being able to see both the front sight and the target depending on where I am focusing. Either/or didn't cut it for various reasons, at least not for me. The worst option IMHO was front-sight focus in both eyes, too many targets that you just can't see at speed e.g. a stage with TWO Texas swingers at 15 yards or so.

(Bucks County)

As my eyes get older, a holographic red-dot lets me see the target clearly with a crisp red dot at my point of aim, without special glasses. I don't know if that is allowed in shooting sports, as I'm not actively involved in them at the moment.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    As my eyes get older, a holographic red-dot lets me see the target clearly with a crisp red dot at my point of aim, without special glasses. I don't know if that is allowed in shooting sports, as I'm not actively involved in them at the moment.
    Yup, going with a dot is the end game. I am very stubbornly holding to my iron sight guns for Limited and Single Stack, but I have an Open gun on order and have shot a bunch of Carry Optics as well. If you go with the dot the problem isn't a problem anymore!

(Bucks County)

Get a 1911, or, better yet, join the US military and learn point shooting. Even the prophet, John Moses Browning knew, point shooting is faster and better than silly sight acquisition. I learned point shooting and I am 62 now and can still hit a thrown beer bottle/spray paint can FROM THE HOLSTER!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast